Gransnet forums

Technology

Twitter - please come out and play

(115 Posts)
JessM Wed 18-Jul-12 08:45:03

Just joined Twitter. I am told this is one of the things ebook authors need to do these days, so long overdue.
Joined Gransnet there. Looked for other GNers. Found only a couple of you. Maybe you lurk under other names?
Can I invite you to join me in this other medium? @jess_madge
Come out and play!

glassortwo Mon 23-Jul-12 19:42:52

Yesss got it. jeni

jeni Mon 23-Jul-12 19:44:06

I don't know what I'm doing! I think I'll stock to GN! I can work that!
Did you get camels?

Ella46 Mon 23-Jul-12 19:47:07

Anagram PLEASE don't leave me all on my own sad grin

Anagram Mon 23-Jul-12 20:16:41

No chance of that, Ella!

They're all mad! grin

SpicerField Tue 24-Jul-12 15:59:11

Hi all

I'm new to the social forum and blogging scene and have today succumbed to my daughter's incessant nagging!! But which is better, Facebook or Twitter? I don't want to be overcome with notifications (haha as if I'm that popular!) which I'm told can happen, so would prefer to stick to one. What are your thoughts?

Bags Tue 24-Jul-12 16:04:11

I was impressed with the camels, jeni. How did you do that?

Anagram Tue 24-Jul-12 16:05:42

See! Told you they were all mad! hmm

JessM Tue 24-Jul-12 16:14:57

Hi spiderfield - as you can tell we are learning about Twitter together...
FB is more of a permanent record of photos. Useful for keeping tabs on younger generation I find (DS 2 in NZ is a keen FB poster less keen emailer, phoner or tester...)
Twitter more of the moment - what people are thinking about today. Here today, gone on the wind tomorrow. No photos. No silly adverts about wrinkles and tummy fat! (so far)

yogagran Tue 24-Jul-12 18:40:08

I think FB is by far the more useful one SpicerField (welcome by the way!). Twitter just seems to twitter on without any purpose and FB can be more easily personalised and has the added advantage of photos which is lovely for the whole family. Just be aware of your privacy settings. You can change your notifications so that you only get the ones that you want. All easy-peasy!

Mamie Tue 24-Jul-12 19:36:47

I very rarely tweet, but I do enjoy following people who interest me. It is also great if you need to know about things like traffic problems. I like FB, but I restrict it to just a few trusted people.

janthea Wed 25-Jul-12 10:51:25

Mamie I'm the same. My FB account is for friends and family and I keep it locked down just to that circle. My Twitter account is just for fun. I'm enjoying tweeting to other GNetters. Some of the other people on Twitter are very amusing. It's also useful for problems on trains, or traffic and breaking news. And @Queen_UK is hilarious! Of course, you can also keep with Gransnet! grin

gracesmum Thu 06-Sep-12 12:28:32

Just to say I have deactivated my Twitter account. No offence to any GNetters - I can contact you here, but I am getting follower requests form some creepy looking types so I have decided to get back under the duvet.
Frankly, too much hassle most of the time anyway!!)

NannaAnna Thu 06-Sep-12 23:03:47

gracesmum I find I block more 'followers' than I accept on Twitter. I think many are auto-generated and are marketing junk (and the dreaded trolls too). It is the down-side of social media unfortunately. All depends on whether you find the benefits outweigh the negatives smile.

Ylil Wed 30-Jan-13 11:55:16

I'm @ZhoiLills