Gransnet forums

Technology

Mobile broadband

(12 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 03-Aug-12 08:31:26

Thanks for this advice. I have changed the settings now. Hope that wifi is available on the ship and that I can get it ashore. Need to be able to keep in touch with family.
I will check out the apps you mentioned.
Thanks for your help again, cheers!

yogagran Thu 02-Aug-12 23:08:50

mrsmopp - go to "settings" - then "wireless & networks" and make sure that you un-tick "mobile network". Also make sure that on your "accounts & sync" page - "autosync" is un-ticked too
You could also install one of the apps such as "phoneUsage" or "3g watchdog" which would keep an eye on your data usage and warn you if you exceed your monthly allowance

jeni Thu 02-Aug-12 22:48:10

I don't think you get charged for incoming unless you accept them! It's only downloading?

mrsmopp Thu 02-Aug-12 22:26:05

Further to this I would like to take my iPad abroad as well as my Samsung galaxy ace. I will use the ace for music, camera & games. I want to connect to wifi only.

How do I change the settings so the phone doesn't pick up the Internet or phone calls that might land me with a large bill.?

Barrow Wed 01-Aug-12 21:58:03

Thanks for the replies. Don't think I will bother - it is only two weeks - I will have to go cold turkey on internet access!

Ariadne Wed 01-Aug-12 18:01:24

I get a microchip for the iPad, sometimes on a three months contract @ £15 a month when we are truly nomadic. But in many cases, as on cruises, in good hotels (certainly in the States) you can just hook in. I just like to be sure of access!

Annika Wed 01-Aug-12 17:11:04

Speaking to an Australian tourist some weeks ago, he said his brother use his ipad while in Europe, when he got back home to Australia he had a bill for over £2000.
Because of the high cost of going online abroad, many pay-as-you-go mobile broadband dongles have to be activated for roaming before you can use them while travelling overseas.
Hope this helps

Grannylin Wed 01-Aug-12 16:49:22

I would be very wary barrow Son used OH's orange dongle in France and it was expensive.Daughter has just been caught out using her I- phone in Italy for emails etc and has a bill for £2,000 ! Maybe we are just unlucky....or naive.

Annika Wed 01-Aug-12 16:37:06

I know you have to be careful when abroad, you might well end up with a huge bill, you need to speak to your broadband provider, some times they charge extra if you leave this country.

jeni Wed 01-Aug-12 16:31:28

I would ask BT. I know they have a network abroad that you can just log into with their hotspots.
I don't use a dongle as iPads don't do dongles do far as I know! There are usually free minutes on board the cruise ships. I think I get 2hours free. Which line are you with?

Maniac Wed 01-Aug-12 15:44:20

jeni is an expert on cruising and computer tech stuff thereon.I know she is taking her i-pad on our med. cruise.

Barrow Wed 01-Aug-12 09:33:52

Not sure if this should be in the Tech or Travel section! Does anyone know if the mobile broadband gadgets (think they are called dongles?) work abroad. I am off on a cruise in September and want to take my laptop with me. I know I can buy wi-fi access from the cruise operator but they make a pretty hefty charge for it. I appreciate if moble broadband does work abroad then I would only be able to use it when in port but I don't want to buy it if it won't work!