Gransnet forums

Technology

Help - I'm hit with failure notices

(30 Posts)
AlieOxon Tue 07-Aug-12 18:34:35

I've suddenly started getting dozens of failure notices for emails I haven't sent!
I've deleted about 4 dozen and they keep coming!
What do I do?

petra Thu 09-Aug-12 17:58:10

Hi everyone.
Is there anyone out there who can help with this request.
I will start by saying that i am a bit of a ludite [spelling] with the internet so please reply in words of one sylable.
I have bought the ipad 2.I travel a lot in France and Spain. I want to know the easiest/ cheapest way to use the internet when i dont have wifi access.
My husband does not want a contract. He wants a pay as you go.
We want to know what sim or card ? we can buy in France.
Thank you for reading this. Petra

whenim64 Thu 09-Aug-12 08:08:17

Alie some phishing is done in order to show organisations like banks and Yahoo that their systems have flaws and need to be improved. The recent news about millions of passwords being obtained from Yahoo came from hackers whose motivation was to demonstrate security could be breached, but it was said not to be malicious. It's still a pain in the neck when these things happen, but you probably aren't being targeted for negative reasons on this occasion.

glammanana Thu 09-Aug-12 07:24:10

My yahoo mail has been playing up for a few weeks now I am having days when I can't open mail or get access to write a new e-mail,spam box still has 30+ every morning when I switch on and I have been down the road of clearing all my browser history and spoken to the man at the end of the phone who must think I am daft !! I had an urgent e-mail to reply to yesterday and couldn't reply and the air was blue after an hour of messing about trying to access low and behold we are back to normal.....very strange DDs friend is coming to-morrow he works in IT so is going to find problem for me I hope.

AlieOxon Thu 09-Aug-12 07:04:41

I put the follow-on post on the wrong thread I think - anyway it is sorted and quite quickly.

They didn't seem interested in what kind of suspicious stuff was going on. Seemed like it was everyday stuff and the point was to sort it out for the customer as quickly as possible - good for me, but what was the point of this apparent phishing? If I had put myself onto the 'Guest List' what would it be used for?

Is someone just collecting email addresses? For a future scam?

jeni Wed 08-Aug-12 17:28:03

Yahoo have been having problems I think! I was fighting with them yesterday!

AlieOxon Wed 08-Aug-12 16:42:26

Yes but I didn't get anywhere Elegran! Round in circles.

I phoned BT and of course found I was talking to a man with a strong accent, and I don't think he knew what phishing was....after 10 minutes investigation he informed that my account was blocked, which I knew anyway, and is passing me on to the next layer of help - to phone me in up to 4 hours..............

Elegran Wed 08-Aug-12 09:50:58

alie I looked at the Yahoo email help page and found this page, which has links to how to address problems. Looks like the "What to do if your account is sending spam" choice might be helpful. Maybe other choices too.

help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=topics&y=PROD_MAIL_ML&locale=en_GB&topics=TOP_ABS

AlieOxon Wed 08-Aug-12 09:37:17

Now of course I can't access my account at all.
However I have a free phone help number...............

AlieOxon Wed 08-Aug-12 09:19:27

I've just got another failure message - after the password change, but it says

"Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.
<[email protected]>:
Remote host said: 554 Message not allowed - [PH01] Email not accepted for policy reasons. Please visit http://postmaster.yahoo.com/errors/postmaster-27.html [120] [BODY]"
Plus a lot more ?programming stuff………no obvious message in it

Now I don't know if this is real or not!

Elegran, that's what I was looking for and didn't find.

Elegran Wed 08-Aug-12 08:59:53

They probably have a link somewhere to an address to report things to. That should put up an ordinary email form with the email address, on which you can type what you want. i assume you can attach a file, but if not you could copy what you wrote and paste it in.

Ask them whether you have done enough to get rid of your intruder. If they could get into your account via your old password, I wonder whether they can also watch somehow while you were changing it? I know that is a bit "worst scenario" but it would not hurt to get reassurance that you are secure now.

AlieOxon Wed 08-Aug-12 07:47:28

I also deleted history.

I've a file of what happened, but I don't know how to send it....do I just have to go through their standard form where I can't give details?

AlieOxon Wed 08-Aug-12 07:44:41

Yes she's lovely - but stop horning in on what I now think is a phishing problem!
This thread is serious...........!!

I couldn't sleep for thinking and finally realised that this started several weeks ago when my email password was asked for and didn't work.

At this point I changed it.
Right after this I got an email purporting to be from Yahoo and asking for a password check.....................

Yes, I got caught.
I have changed it again yesterday. I won't get caught again, but thought you lot ought to know!

jeni Tue 07-Aug-12 21:50:17

Aahsmile!
They're fattening!sad

Annobel Tue 07-Aug-12 21:45:21

shock grin cupcake instead.

whenim64 Tue 07-Aug-12 21:32:01

grin

jeni Tue 07-Aug-12 21:29:42

I know! grin I could just eat her!
(except for the fact I've gone off meat for some reasonconfused)

whenim64 Tue 07-Aug-12 21:17:38

jeni I've probably said this before - you're grandaughter is just scrumptious! smile

jeni Tue 07-Aug-12 20:41:03

I've put a photo of dgd with me and (old) iPad on my photos?

Elegran Tue 07-Aug-12 20:38:25

I had these problems too Jeni

jeni Tue 07-Aug-12 20:35:20

My dgd can now have my old iPad!( think her mother might nick it though!)

jeni Tue 07-Aug-12 20:34:17

I've been fighting my new iPad all day!
It works perfectly except that I couldn't get my emails! Turned out that my late dh had set up the account and I never knew his password or security questions! Not because he was secretive but because I didn't want anything to do with computers!
Sorted out eventually with BT help, who said they normally had to speak to the name ownerconfused, but agreed there would be problem in this case!grin
I think the fact that I have paid their bills for the last ten years may have convinced them I wasn't lying!
All very traumatic.
The only problem now is that I'm getting my emails ok:- in duplicate!confused

Elegran Tue 07-Aug-12 20:25:20

i would definitely report the sender to your provider. They are clearly up to no good somehow or other.

Using your email to send messages that you have no control over is one of the things that spammers do. They get more messages sent out, and the messages are not traceable back to them, but to you. On this occasion they may not be really doing that, just trying to panic you into following a link so that they can hook in and get started, but there is always a risk that they have found a way into your account.

Your provider can check up, and also keep an eye on them in the future.

Annobel Tue 07-Aug-12 19:35:00

You could report the sender as spam to you provider.

AlieOxon Tue 07-Aug-12 19:32:02

The messages have stopped. Nothing since the email I didn't answer.
Seems to me now it was designed to panic me and make me answer that one?
- anyway I didn't.
The failure notices didn't mention any of my contacts, they were all people I never heard of, and there's no records of any sent from here.

Scan found nothing, but I will change my password! Thanks folks!

Anagram Tue 07-Aug-12 18:48:54

I googled this problem and the best advice seems to be:

'It could be a spammer has some how got access to your email address
sending out spam to your contacts.

The best thing you can about this is to change your password :

Sign into your email.Up the top of page click on your name.
Select Account info.Type in your password.Sign in.
Now under Sign-In and Security select Change your password.
Enter your current password, choose new password and confirm new password.

Save - that's it done.

Clear your browsing history after you have changed the password :

press control,shift & delete together.This works for both Internet Explorer & Firefox.
Can also work for Chrome as well.'

Also, I would have a look at the Yahoo help pages.

Hope this helps. smile