Gransnet forums

Technology

Introduce yourself

(56 Posts)
baubles Thu 18-Oct-12 16:57:20

Having noticed a couple of people introducing themselves in different ways over the past few days, I wondered if there would be any sense in having a thread for that purpose?

jeni Mon 22-Oct-12 22:23:58

Sorry. I've never heard of the man! If he does cakes! I don't want to!
I'm to bed moon

glassortwo Mon 22-Oct-12 22:29:25

when they dont want us there it will cramp their style wink

FlicketyB Tue 23-Oct-12 20:42:31

I have just been looking at Granny Net it does state its purpose as being for Grannies who are looking after their grandchildren and when I went in to it it really was entirely child orientated. As a medium distance Grandma (200 miles) who does not do much childcare I found that rather limiting.

Gransnet is for women (or men) who happen to be grandparents among all the other things they are in their lives - and from the sound of it there are an awful lot of other things in our lives.

I thought James Martin wrote about cars, or are there two of them?

Ana Tue 23-Oct-12 20:45:28

Are you thinking of James May, Flickety? grin

merlotgran Tue 23-Oct-12 21:04:00

He's a car enthusiast as well, Flickety. Writes regular articles for the Mail on Sunday.

FlicketyB Thu 25-Oct-12 23:40:04

Oh, that explains it!

jeimuli Fri 26-Oct-12 10:31:48

Hi everyone. This is my first posting but I'm not sure if this is the right section for it. I've been living on my own for a year now, following the break up of my marriage and divorce. My biggest problem is the spells of loneliness that I have. I try to get out every day and usually manage to speak to someone. I have family but don't want to always be bothering them. I have two close friends, but one works full time and is in a relationship and the other is happily married. Does anyone have any suggestions?

glassortwo Fri 26-Oct-12 11:49:03

jeimuli welcome to GN, join in on the threads, you will always find someone to chat to at most hours, so dont be lonely. smile

annodomini Fri 26-Oct-12 12:23:00

jeimuli, I know the feeling. It takes time to adjust. Is there a U3A where you live? They are all over the place and have so many interest groups that you are almost certain to find something you'd like to do. Meanwhile, you have a host of friends here. smile

jeimuli Sun 28-Oct-12 09:54:39

Thanks annodomini. I tried an Art group at U3A but as I'm a total beginner, it was n't for me. It does n't help that I don't have a car. A lot of the U3A groups meet at each others houses, so it would involve me getting several buses. I'm not sure if my confidence is good enough to get involved in groups yet. I've had a couple of bad experiences with online dating, suggested by a friend - lots of negative comments about my appearance.
Sorry to be moaning, but it's good to get it all out of my system.

Ella46 Sun 28-Oct-12 10:11:59

jeimuli Welcome. You can come on here and moan to us whenever you need to, we are good listeners wink
Take your time getting used to being on your own, you don't have to rush into doing anything you don't want to do.
Your confidence will come back eventually flowers

Marelli Sun 28-Oct-12 10:22:49

Hello, jeimuli - pleased to meet you. smile

kittylester Sun 28-Oct-12 11:34:33

Hi jeimuli welcome to GN flowers

Flickety two James Martins - what a good idea - can I have one just for me? You others can then share one grin

baubles Sun 28-Oct-12 11:39:14

Hello and welcome Jeimli. I've found friendship on these threads which in turn has helped me to become a little more self confident. Just keep popping in sunshine

clementine Wed 31-Oct-12 18:02:02

Hi,

New to the site but loving it already, it's very addicitve,!! I have a little grandson who has just had his first birthday. They live about 60 miles from us but we do help out with childcare once a week, and of course, see him inbetween times as well.

I have just recently retired, as has my husband and we are kept busy with different interests and hobbies. We help with our local church and I do a bit of volunteering for a local cancer charity.

Just getting used to being on the site now and having a look around. Took me ages to find the brackets on my keyboard for the smiley.!!blush I am not great on computers but getting there. Have just got an iphone so found the apps topic very helpful !!!

Nonu Wed 31-Oct-12 18:14:17

Welcome Clementine , Enjoy yourself on here smile

Nelliemoser Wed 31-Oct-12 19:19:45

jeimuli welcome. It's a good place for a laugh or a moan and a lot of sensible advice and support. Just poke around a bit and see what happens. Don't be put off by the more vocal of us. Join in.

jeni I cant say I would recognise James Martin either.

My excuse being I am far too busy to watch Saturday moring television. Gransnet is so time consuming.

kittylester Wed 31-Oct-12 19:49:08

Hi Clemintine flowers

baubles Wed 31-Oct-12 20:01:21

Hi Clementine welcome to GNet flowers

relichunter Wed 31-Oct-12 20:36:44

seems to me you are a close knit family dont like any outsiders

relichunter Wed 31-Oct-12 20:42:11

cudnt seem to attach to anyone on here its a shame it seems to be a great site it must be just me would have liked to had a chat one to one as i found some of the people very interesting

janeainsworth Wed 31-Oct-12 20:47:40

Welcome Clementine and Jeimuli
relic you can chat to people on the threadsconfused

relichunter Wed 31-Oct-12 20:48:01

hopefully no knocking on doors tonight its opuring down sorry kids al them sweets going to waste

relichunter Wed 31-Oct-12 20:50:05

i had a message whats a thread
clemantin e and jeimuli

jeni Wed 31-Oct-12 21:55:54

relichunter we dont really do one to one but have ageneral conversation on a theme that is called a thread, a thread is like a branch of a general topic thatis called a forum.. if you click on forums you will see lots of topics eg chat or books. if you click on the one you want to look at, you will find lots of different things going on. click on the one that interests you. we don't tend to use text speak, we are too old!
hopethis helps.