Gransnet forums

Technology

Introduce yourself

(55 Posts)
baubles Thu 18-Oct-12 16:57:20

Having noticed a couple of people introducing themselves in different ways over the past few days, I wondered if there would be any sense in having a thread for that purpose?

Marelli Thu 18-Oct-12 17:00:42

Maybe that would be a good idea, baubles. The only thing is though, a newcomer wouldn't really know that the thread was there. confused

baubles Thu 18-Oct-12 17:05:53

Perhaps 'They' could make it a 'sticky' smile

merlotgran Thu 18-Oct-12 19:56:02

I like the way gransnet sometimes can be a bit chaotic with threads occasionally overlapping and new members testing the water.

I had a look at granny net a few days ago and was completely put off by the way members are pigeonholed and called: Newbie, resident, old hat or lifer,
depending on how long they've been a member. That's worse than school. I can't bear people trying to organise me.

jeni Thu 18-Oct-12 19:57:58

I'd like to see any body try with me!

glassortwo Thu 18-Oct-12 19:58:23

merlot its far too organised for me too, even the threads seem neat and tidy if you see what I mean hmm

Ana Thu 18-Oct-12 20:08:12

And I do hate the term 'newbie' - so twee! And it must be an Americanism.

Ana Thu 18-Oct-12 20:09:33

(Sorry for the two 'And's confused)

Grannylin Thu 18-Oct-12 20:10:29

I confess, I looked at Grannynet the other day too. .For some strange reason, it made me feel that Grans are OLD and Gransnet never makes me feel like thatgrin

hummingbird Thu 18-Oct-12 20:37:00

I looked at Grannynet, too. To be honest, I thought it seemed like a really supportive, friendly group, but I couldn't really find threads with titles that pulled me in. It could be that I'm just used to Gransnet and its quirky ways! I bet there is a good number of people of who are members of, and contribute to both, though!

merlotgran Thu 18-Oct-12 21:04:35

I bet they haven't got a bar that's open 24/7 wink

KateGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 22-Oct-12 17:19:43

Hi everyone,

baubles - that's an interesting suggestion, and we'll look into perhaps creating a designated "meeting" place. Until then, you're welcome to start a thread about it?

Also, we wouldn't dare DREAM of trying to lump you all into catergories. For what it's worth, I'm new to GNHQ, <waves>

whenim64 Mon 22-Oct-12 17:53:25

Hi KateGransnet nice to meet you smile

I had a feeling GNHQ numbers would start increasing as soon as we learned James Martin is going to visit! grin

Gally Mon 22-Oct-12 17:54:42

Hello Kate. Have you replaced someone or are you extra? grin

absentgrana Mon 22-Oct-12 17:59:37

Gally Really! Additional not extra. You make Kate sound as if she is superfluous to requirements. Hi Kate.

Ariadne Mon 22-Oct-12 18:04:07

Hello, Kate. This lot will keep you on your toes. Not me, of course...

Anne58 Mon 22-Oct-12 18:29:20

What! You mean you have actually looked at other forums! Hussy!

kittylester Mon 22-Oct-12 19:08:21

Isn't that treason?

glassortwo Mon 22-Oct-12 21:39:13

Hi kate I bet they didnt warn you about us lot when they offered you the position grin

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 22-Oct-12 21:52:02

whenim you wouldn't believe how many people have been loitering around GNHQ pretending they're essential since the James Martin webchat came up.

Not Kate, though - she's actually doing stuff, as you see.

Must get back to practising fluttering my eyelashes work.

jeni Mon 22-Oct-12 22:12:40

Please folks. Who's James Martin?

Welcome katewine

whenim64 Mon 22-Oct-12 22:15:27

He's the hunky chef who has a Saturday morning cooking progamme on BBC1 jeni. Makes the most amazing cakes and pastries.

glassortwo Mon 22-Oct-12 22:17:10

jeni you just go and wash your mouth out shock who is James Martin............... he is the best celebrity chef around and gorgeous to boot, a bit like the boy next door. I have offered on the web chat thread for Thursday to go and help in the office when James comes in but they have not come back to me!

whenim64 Mon 22-Oct-12 22:21:51

I think you'll find I have been booked to attend to James on Thursday glass. I'm just waiting for my confirmation email from Geraldine grin

johanna Mon 22-Oct-12 22:23:17

jeni
He is the guy who's photograph is on the opening page of Gransnet at the moment.
But I understand your question. Looking at the picture, you would not know it is all about food; food is the last thing that springs to mind. grin grin