Gransnet forums

Technology

"Like" option

(44 Posts)
nanapug Sat 27-Oct-12 17:33:49

Dear GNHQ people, I don't know what others think but I would love to have a "like" facility as they do in some other forums. I appreciate people "liking" some of my messages if they agree with what I have written and also enjoy "liking" other peoples comments to show my support. What do others feel?

MiceElf Sun 28-Oct-12 09:47:58

I think a Quote button would be useful.

yogagran Sun 28-Oct-12 14:18:52

I used to think a "like" button would be useful, in fact I believe I requested one way back when GN was just a baby. But I've changed my mind now as I agree with those who have posted previously that it would probably stop people posting their own opinion if they could just hit a "like button"

NanaAnna Sun 28-Oct-12 14:37:59

There are those of us who hardly ever post anyway. We might use a 'like' button.

Hankipanki Sun 28-Oct-12 14:42:43

I agree NanaAnna I would like a like button.

Nonu Sun 28-Oct-12 15:14:21

I would like a "like" button . smile

absentgrana Mon 29-Oct-12 07:53:46

Jodi The feeling of being ignored has cropped up in a variety of guises from time to time. A number of Gransnetters have mentioned that it is frustrating to write a carefully worded reasoned post and then find that someone else has said the same thing much later and – more irritatingly – is being widely applauded for their wisdom and insight. Others have felt hurt because although they have made a point not made elsewhere, no one has commented on it. Still others have become fed up because although they have answered a direct question or clarified a specific point, the question continues to be asked or the point misrepresented.

I think very often these simply result from people not reading all the posts on a thread. Some threads – and some posts for that matter – are just very long. Some topics attract a lot of posts in rapid succession so several Gransnetters may have added to the conversation while one is making one's own reply. I also think that if you happen to be the last post on a page and then several Gransnetters post soon afterwards, your post tends to get overlooked.

I feel sure these are the most common reasons why sometimes people mistakenly feel that their posts have been deliberately ignored, although there probably are (fairly rare) occasions when a post is so pointless that there is nothing worth responding to. (I am pretty sure that I am guilty of producing one of those.) blush

Gally Mon 29-Oct-12 07:56:28

Oh, me too Absent grin

Jodi Mon 29-Oct-12 12:24:33

absent I wasn't making an issue of this. My actual point was that sometimes posts get ignored for all the reasons you cited above and you rightly start your post by saying this has cropped up from time to time. And sometimes it would be nice just be be able to acknowledge a point well made or funny without having to post a reply. Just sometimes, not always. smile

kittylester Mon 29-Oct-12 13:38:38

Surely, the good thing about Gransnet is that we interact. A like button, in my opinion, is quite an offhand acknowledgement and not what we are about.

Ana Mon 29-Oct-12 13:41:25

And just think how you'd feel if the post you'd spent ages on was not only ignored (for whatever reason), but didn't attract any 'likes' either! confused

kittylester Mon 29-Oct-12 13:42:50

Oh, heck Ana sad

yogagran Mon 29-Oct-12 13:45:02

People keep asking Facebook for a "dislike" button too - imagine the trouble that would cause sad

Jodi Mon 29-Oct-12 13:46:57

I don't see it like that kitty. I'm on holiday this week so I have plenty of time to read and post (though the house and garden are neglected). But when I'm working I love to read all the posts but don't always have time to reply and anyway by the time I settle down with the iPad there are threads which have carried on past where I could say much. Within these threads are some absolute gems that make me laugh, or I'd have loved to interact with.
On Facebook I love it when someone replies to my post, but I also like the likes as it were.
Perhaps (pergolas my iPad tried to write) if there were a trial period???? Nobody has to use it if they don't like the idea.

Jodi Mon 29-Oct-12 13:48:47

ana hmm ...then you'd have to up your game?
yoga now that's a step too far grin

kittylester Mon 29-Oct-12 14:04:19

I have days at a time when I post lots and, equally, days at a time when I can't post at all but, just as I don't see my friends every day, I join in with whatever the current topic of conversation might be.

Getting no likes at all, or very few, is another way of being ignored. Not all people on the forum have the confidence to bounce back from that if it happens often. It is not a case of upping one's game.

Jodi Mon 29-Oct-12 14:14:13

Shouldn't have said that kitty it didn't come out the way I wanted it to.

kittylester Mon 29-Oct-12 14:27:30

Jodi smile

NfkDumpling Mon 29-Oct-12 14:38:25

I'd still like something that can be posted quickly. By the time I've read a post and typed in a 'name and I agree', several people can have added their bits, so we all overlap. Especially if a good contentious ding dong is going on. If it were possible to stick a 'like' on someone's post which could be flagged up it would be nice. It certainly wouldn't stop me having my say.