Gransnet forums

Technology

"Like" option

(43 Posts)
nanapug Sat 27-Oct-12 17:33:49

Dear GNHQ people, I don't know what others think but I would love to have a "like" facility as they do in some other forums. I appreciate people "liking" some of my messages if they agree with what I have written and also enjoy "liking" other peoples comments to show my support. What do others feel?

soop Sat 27-Oct-12 17:50:08

Agree with you, nanpug If I had a "like" thingy, I would be adding it right now. smile

glassortwo Sat 27-Oct-12 17:52:24

My only worry would be it may stop people from commenting on a thread and therefore halt the conversation, but I do use the like button on FB.

absentgrana Sat 27-Oct-12 17:59:33

I understand that it has sometimes caused ill feeling on other forums. There is some kind of issue about it on Facebook at the moment. If all a poster wants to do is register approval of or agreement with someone else's post, it doesn't take a lot of effort to say " True/good post/I agree/well said" or whatever. Even just a smiley would do. Formalising this with a like/agree button creats a slightly different character.

If you have a "like" or "agree" button, it is only fair to have a "dislike" or "disagree" button and I can see this giving rise to even more accusations of cliques – and we've had a plethora of those in the last six months.

kittylester Sat 27-Oct-12 18:13:17

With you again absent

Anne58 Sat 27-Oct-12 18:31:10

For heavens sake. let's keep it simple! You can take part in a thread, and in doing do give opinions as to whether you agree or disagree, or you can choose to avoid or not comment on other threads.

Sorry, I don't usually take part in this sort of thing, but I truly feel that in this case to go down the route expressed in the OP could cause, well, you know.

Sorry, nanapug but this will not get my vote.

Anne58 Sat 27-Oct-12 18:32:47

Meant "so" up there , not "do"

Oh for an edit function! grin

Ana Sat 27-Oct-12 18:40:01

I agree with absent.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 27-Oct-12 19:06:41

It's something that has been discussed before. Not such how feasible it is tech wise for starters but certainly I will mention it again

Ana Sat 27-Oct-12 19:19:21

Even though there doesn't seem to be much support for it? confused

Faye Sat 27-Oct-12 19:44:51

If there was a like button posters would often only click on like and not bother to comment. An alternative could be yes or no agreeing or disagreeing with the OP. Or what about a whole string of emoticons. Imagine that, a forum where no one comments. confused

whenim64 Sat 27-Oct-12 19:57:22

Yes, I would like a 'like' button, too! smile

Ana Sat 27-Oct-12 20:16:17

I've been on forums where 'likes' seem to be courted and collected as an indication of how popular a member is, not how incisive their arguments are or how well they put their point across. I'm not saying that would happen here, but if the total of 'likes' is displayed on profile pages, as seems common, it could lead to yet more rumblings of discontent.

BlueSky Sat 27-Oct-12 21:07:21

I personally would like the Like button, when for instance, you don't wish to add anything to what has already been said, OK an emoticon smile would probably do the same job. Maybe we would need a don't agree one, though in this case you would really need to give the reason why. There shouldn't be any need to count the likes received by each person, we are not in nursery school with stars and charts! Also an "Edit" button when you realise you have made a mistake after posting.

Anne58 Sat 27-Oct-12 21:11:08

I'm with Ana & Absent I think it would be the sort of thing that just ended in "point scoring" rather than people actually saying WHY the agreed or disagreed with a post.

OK, the way things are at present, does mean that sometimes there is quite a bit of wandering from the OP, but surely that is better than just metaphorically ticking a box?

I do understand that there may be members who disagree with my point of view, but I sure as hell would rather that they articulated their opinions than tick a sodding box, or use a symbol!

(Tin hat on, bunker ready warmed, try doing that with a symbol!)

Anne58 Sat 27-Oct-12 21:15:38

And another thing! Apart from ticking "like" on a products website, to use it on a site such as this is is surely dumbing down of the highest order?

OK, dumbing down may not be the correct phrase, but surely it is the equivalent of "Yeah,wot Dwuane said, innit"

Apologies to any members who have a son or grandson called Dwuane.

Marelli Sat 27-Oct-12 21:29:36

If it ain't broken, why mend it? hmm

Anne58 Sat 27-Oct-12 21:32:10

Steady, Marelli some of us are hoping for an "edit" facility!

granjura Sat 27-Oct-12 21:41:57

Not being able to edit is so frustrating. But a 'thank you' button would be great too.

Ana Sat 27-Oct-12 21:43:20

Agree about an 'edit' button - that would be really useful!

Marelli Sat 27-Oct-12 21:48:04

An 'edit' facility would be good, but don't see the point of a 'like', though. Think that could end up being confused with posters just using it to say that they'd seen the post, not whether they'd agreed/liked it.

NfkDumpling Sat 27-Oct-12 22:03:09

The preview button I suppose serves as an edit. I would like a 'like' emoticon meaning I agree. Sometimes a smile doesn't seem suitable for more serious upsetting subjects. A grin or smile is often used alone and not considered dumbing down so what's wrong with an 'I agree' emoticon. Just need to think of one. An apple?

Bags Sun 28-Oct-12 07:34:23

We have flowers for saying thank you and smile for saying 'like it'. Or sunshine. And we have sad for saying 'I'm not happy with that' or even angry.

Or one could just type Like or Dislike and post. Might be worth trying that for a while to see how it pans out.

Jodi Sun 28-Oct-12 07:59:58

I agree with your comments phoenix but reading back comments on some threads there is a feeling that some people feel ignored. I know I do sometimes, I'm sure we all do. But I realise that often I read something someone has written and smile to myself, or think 'good point' etc. and on occasion I'd like just to acknowledge that without having to write something.
I'm newish on here and have contributed quite often so it's not a case of being reticent. For example I love your "Yeah, wot Dwuane said, innit'. But by the time I'd read that other posts had appeared so if I just typed like it wouldn't have connected to your post. Does that make sense?

I wouldn't like there to be a tally of 'likes' though.

whenim64 Sun 28-Oct-12 09:03:13

Yes, as Jodi has just said, a 'like' button stops you having to refer back to which post you agreed with, as you can inadvertently agree with a following, opposing comment that has appeared whilst you are writing your own response smile