Gransnet forums

Technology

Who is feeding them?

(38 Posts)
Orca Tue 09-Apr-13 20:59:33

Just turned over and found myself watching a programme called Big Body Squad. Most of these grossly obese individuals are housebound and many are bedbound. So who is it that keeps feeding these unfortunates and is complicit in keeping them in this state?

glassortwo Wed 10-Apr-13 12:45:32

gangy5 Can you make that statement and not wish to elaborate?

Bags Wed 10-Apr-13 12:50:06

This article from February 2013 reports a study that showed that middle class children were more likely to be obese than poorer children. The finding contradicts what had been believed, i.e. that poorer children were more likely to be obese.

soop Wed 10-Apr-13 12:56:46

At a time when I needed to feel "in control", I spent four months starving myself. I skipped breakfast. Sat in the library [reading recipe books] while my work colleagues ate lunch. Rationed myself to a boiled egg and Ryvetta for my 'main meal' in the evenings. I was living alone and no-one was aware of my illness. When my then husband returned from his tour of duty, he was horrified that I was so skinny. I had never thought of myself as being slim, so I regarded skinny as a huge compliment. Anorexia is a very complex illness. I feel terribly sad for those whose lives are blighted by it.

j08 Wed 10-Apr-13 13:13:22

Middle class kids were fed meusli and such and lacked nutrition that way. Poor kids may get fed sausage rolls and doughnuts. ditto.

I think much of this obese/non obese is genetic. If you are unfortunate enough to be born with a liking for sweet/fatty foods, then it is going to be much harder for you to keep to a reasonable weight. And then there's differing metabolisms.

j08 Wed 10-Apr-13 13:14:13

And there must be loads more reasons why people get grossly overweight.

petallus Wed 10-Apr-13 13:19:27

I confess I've never felt sympathetic to grossly overweight people. I know I should do but I don't.

I used to work as a therapist at a centre for anorectics. I was surprised to learn that it is not just a question of them refusing food, they actually felt nauseous and were inclined to vomit when they tried to eat.

Eloethan Wed 10-Apr-13 17:51:00

I think our relationship with food is a very complicated one, particularly in the developed world where food is more varied and plentiful. Even supposedly "normal" people who don't have obvious eating disorders can get caught up in a cycle of silly diets, expensive "low calorie" foods, etc. etc. There are so many reasons why people become overweight or get into unhealthy patterns of eating:

Parents who "reward" children with food - setting up a pattern for life
The marketing of unhealthy/addictive foods and drinks
Feelings of lack of control in a parent/child relationship
The vast choice of food available
Depression, leading to over or under eating
Lack of exercise ... etc. etc.

Whatever the reasons, I don't like these sorts of voyeuristic programmes that seem to intrude on the misfortunes of others.

NanaChuckles Wed 10-Apr-13 20:07:01

Having food "issues" is a psychological problem. I dieted for years since I was 10 and weighed 10 stone. My mum took me to a slimming club and I lost some weight that went right back on as soon as I stopped the class. Today in school we educate children to make healthy choices. My class are growing fresh veggies in class as part of their science topic. We have healthy workshops etc and try to educate children in healthy eating.
Having reached 30 stone in my life I have tried so many slimming clubs and failed in them all after losing a few stones. As a last resort I joined a health club and lost 2 stone. Due to a car crash I had to leave it till my hip got better. SO, I decided that if I wanted to see my grandson grow up I had to change my outlook on food. After doing some research on the net I through out ALL my diet foods and low calorie diet drinks etc etc etc. (I try not to eat anything with ASPARTINE in it as I read it attacks the cartillage) I went back to dieting the way my gran used to do it. I reduced the amounts I eat, not what I eat. I cook everything from scratch and I have increased my intake of veg and fruit. Since Christmas 2012, I have eaten healthy and I have lost 4 and a half stone. I realised that it had to be a change of life style and not just going to a club and starving myself of the foods I liked. I still have a packet of crisps if I want one, I had a cream scone on Sunday but now I try to balance what I eat and I am beginning to feel a lot better and can now walk a little further with my wee dog. I am hoping by the summer to have lost another 2 stone but if its only 1 I will still be happy. I realise it will take time. I agree that these obese people need psychological hep and in Scotland help is available but you need to ask for it.

MargaretX Wed 10-Apr-13 20:30:05

You have to live in Europe in the 21st century to question our relationship with food.

Food is there for when you are hungry, we don't have a relationship with it. We like it or don't like it and if we eat too much then we are being greedy.

Looking at post war pictures there are very few examples of genetically fat people. Whole steeets were full of shoppers, all were slim and we weren't hungry we just ate what was there, it was just not a lot.

I feel sorry for fat people and can imagine how hard it is to move about and those TV programmes are really disgusting.
I also have thought that when you are so huge that you can't get out of bed then surely you must lose some weight.

glassortwo Wed 10-Apr-13 22:07:39

nanachuckles you have a perfect attitude to trying to loose weight. sunshine

Aspen Thu 11-Apr-13 00:06:26

Orca, re your original question, that is just what I was wondering?

harrigran Thu 11-Apr-13 00:41:17

My GD was of average weight at birth. She developed a bowel condition and she was put on a full fat diet and not allowed all the foods we consider healthy. She is now large for her age and I hope she will not be judged as she gets older, it really is a medical condition.