Gransnet forums

Technology

Which internet browser do you use and why?

(64 Posts)
kittylester Thu 11-Apr-13 06:56:20

Just that really! DH has a new laptop which came with Internet Explorer and I use either Google or AOL.

ummlilia Thu 11-Apr-13 17:22:33

definitely Chrome...although I have opera as a backup..

feetlebaum Thu 11-Apr-13 20:24:04

Google isn't a browser - it's a search engine...

jeanie99 Thu 18-Apr-13 21:17:43

I use Firefox but also have IE on as well.
I let my son advice on these sort of things he's the expert.

annodomini Thu 18-Apr-13 21:47:16

Chrome has worked well for me for several years now.

mushroom Tue 07-May-13 19:49:05

I was blissfully unaware of the choice - Internet Explorer seems to work ok so a bit like choice of fuel providers or insurance companies I'm wary to change if it's working ok, for now...

MargaretX Wed 08-May-13 08:30:34

I use mainly Firefox but on my lap top I have Safari as the Bridge-Online likes Safari better. I don't know anybody who still uses AOL. I had troube with them over payments, but I suppose they have improved.

feetlebaum Wed 08-May-13 09:06:02

Internet Explorer has been the designer's nightmare, pretty much up until version 10, which is available with Windows 8.

The reason being that IE failed to support so many of the web standards, so that you created your nice web page, which would look more or less the same in Opera, Firefox, Safari, Chrome... and then you had to make it work in Internet Explorer, often by adding extra code, hacks and extra style files.

One can safely say that Internet Explorer held back the development of the Internet for years. Version 10 has caught up with most of it, not before time!

simtib Wed 08-May-13 09:18:04

I use several but prefer Firefox and Chrome as they have the adblock plus addon which gets rid of most of the adverts. I would advise anyone who is running XP not to use IE as you are stuck on version 8 which is getting a bit old now.

annodomini Wed 08-May-13 09:37:35

I use Chrome and Adblock+. Adblock works perfectly for a few weeks and then the ads begin to creep back and I have to reinstall it. I don't know why.

Joan Wed 08-May-13 12:16:28

Firefox and Safari.

feetlebaum Sat 11-May-13 22:53:21

MargaretX My brother is still with AOL (Ass----s On Line) despite my derisive laughter... They used to supply a crippled version of Internet Explorer - even more crippled than the usual version - I don't know if that's still the case.

Tegan Sun 12-May-13 11:16:39

My son gave me his computer as it's a bit faster than mine. Trouble is it's got Norton Security on it [which has expired] and I can't use iplayer as it says I need to install an updated Adobe flash; but the security won't let me do it. As iplayer is a main part of my internet use I'm flumoxed. Said son has disappeared off the radar screen after switching the pooters over as well sad.

Ana Sun 12-May-13 11:26:49

If Norton's expired, I wonder why you can't install the updated Adobe flash? Have you got other security - I mean, you'd have to have some, surely?

Tegan Sun 12-May-13 12:23:21

Even when it expires it still seems to work [but doesn't update]. I just want to have one of the free ones but once Norton is installed it's difficult to get rid of [and slows the computer down big time as well]. It's so frustrating being a technophobe sad.

Ana Sun 12-May-13 12:30:05

Oh dear - I thought all you had to do was uninstall it, but I've never tried! I have Norton and haven't had any problems with it, but then I don't use iplayer. I have got Adobe flash player 11 though.

Tegan Sun 12-May-13 12:40:54

Do you have to pay each year to update it? The internet connection in my village is renowned for being very slow which doesn't help.

Ana Sun 12-May-13 12:56:03

Yes, I do have to pay every year - I think it was about £20 last time, so not bad really for a year's protection. I'm surprised you couldn't install the Adobe flash update, though - very odd!

Tegan Sun 12-May-13 13:01:49

Maybe if I paid my £20 they'd let me wink.

Ana Sun 12-May-13 13:04:48

grin

Tegan Sun 12-May-13 14:02:56

Good grief; my son's coming round to see me this afternoon and he's going to look at it [shock horror]. Am tempted to ask him who he is and have we met before when he arrives but will keep stum and find a few tasks for him to do wink.

Ella46 Sun 12-May-13 14:10:36

I'm on Mozilla Firefox, and Norton, and the last Adobe flashplayer update has failed 3 times now, and I don't know why confused

Tegan Sun 12-May-13 14:52:04

Can you get iplayer?

Ella46 Sun 12-May-13 15:50:17

I don't know, I've never tried!

Ana Sun 12-May-13 16:26:02

I've just realised I have actually used BBC iplayer - just checked and I can still access it.

Ella46 Sun 12-May-13 16:59:10

Yes, so have I, duh! blush