Gransnet forums

Technology

Remanufactured Ink Cartridges

(28 Posts)
speck123 Fri 03-May-13 21:02:33

I have recently been tempted to by remanufactured ink cartridges from printerinks at half the price i would expect to pay at my usual printer company for a new cartridge. I hav black and also colour cartridge from this source and I find all well except that the printed page will sometimes show a slash of colour like a thin ribbon on the page here and there, without any `pattern`. Anyone any ideas how I can stop this colour `splash` appearing on my printed page. It doesn`t happen on all the pages maybe one in five or six.
Comments would be appreciated.

Mishap Fri 03-May-13 21:35:24

Sometimes you get problems if you mix cartidges - some originals and some compatibles together. Also you can get problems like this if you select the wrong paper option in the print dialogue box.

Ana Fri 03-May-13 21:40:42

I've found both at home and at work that replacement cartridges aren't worth the hassle - they either aren't accepted by the printer or the quality and longevity isn't good. The recycling collector at work won't take them either.

grandimars Sat 04-May-13 08:54:33

I usually use compatible cartridges and have never had any problems with them, once my printer has informed me that I'm using a "counterfeit" one and I've told it that I know.

Stansgran Sat 04-May-13 08:58:35

I use replacement inks (about£15 ) but use the expensive black original ink which I now have to order(£17) on line. Still a lot less than the whole box of epson inks. The black has cleaner in it and it stops the printer clogging up. I know that's not the technical word but it describes what my printer does.

speck123 Sun 05-May-13 17:18:19

the strange thing is that I can get several pages `clean` when I am printing a wad of pages in one go and then I will get this splash of colour (always the same - deep pink).

Nelliemoser Mon 06-May-13 00:23:27

I have found that replacement cartridges ink jet cartridges, I have a Canon colour printer, vary greatly in their quality. Some of this seem to be whether or not the shape of the replacement cartridge is a good match with the manufactures original. I have found that some are so cheap the quality is rubbish.

The best bet is probably to get the manufacturers cartridge refilled at one of the places that does this.

trendygran Mon 06-May-13 20:31:11

I've very recently purchasesd replacement cartridges for my HP Printer and, try as I might, all the printer comes up with is that they are either missing, or not detected. I've tried everything suggested by the Cartridge company, but had no success at all. I have used replacement cartridges before and they have worked ok. Does anyone have any 'magic' suggestions, as the originals are just SO expensive.

grandimars Fri 10-May-13 09:17:35

Sorry, trendygran, no ideas. My HP printer always insists on doing a scan with a new replacement cartridge, but it will then accept it. I collected some refilled cartridges from the local shop yesterday, and he showed me how much he puts on the sponges compared with what the manufacturer puts in. They use big sponges to fill up the inside of the case and use a scandalously tiny amount of ink.

speck123 Fri 10-May-13 20:19:29

It would be very interesting to know how many print pages one can get from original cartridges and how many from refilled and remanufactured cartridges.
I assume that you cannot buy a DOMESTIC printer with a page counter on it for numbering how many printed pages one has used over the life of a cartridge.
Thank you all those who have tried to help me. I am have now changed the print command from `quick print` to `normal print` to see how that goes.

speck123 Fri 14-Jun-13 19:06:28

Am now informed by the remanufacturing company that the originals are produced with oil based ink but the remanufactured are `water-based ink`.
The do not seem to last long!

feetlebaum Sat 15-Jun-13 16:44:17

I've had excellent results using re-manufactured cartridges - and they contain a good deal more ink than the OEM ones do. That was with HP printers.

I've now switched to a Canon, and haven't as yet experimented with re-filled cartridges.

Printers often do keep a page count - you need to find how to get your printer to print the report out.

donidon Thu 22-Aug-13 12:58:40

It seems to me that you have simply bought low quality compatible cartridges. I have been struggling myself to get hold of high quality compatibles. i get my compatibles from www.inkntoneruk.co.uk they have never let me down and I enjoyed big savings.

Movedalot Thu 22-Aug-13 13:59:06

Perhaps you could have a look and see if some ink has spilt in the area around the cartridge? If they were all inferior quality I think you would be getting lots of colours, not just pink. Have a good wipe around with a tissue and cotton buds and you may find the answer.

mrsmopp Sun 29-Sep-13 21:51:58

Can I recommend MoreInks replacement cartridges. My HP printer has rejected compatible cartridges in the past, resulting my having to return them and ask for refunds, but the MoreInks ordered online, free P&P works a treat.
They've had good reviews.
I agree, the price of original cartridges is a disgrace and a rip off.
Blooming ink costs more than Chanel No 5 perfume!!

Mishap Mon 30-Sep-13 09:50:12

It does depend on what you are going to do with the resulting prints. I sell some of mine and have to be sure of their long-life properties, so I avoid the compatibles, which tend to fade quickly.

No prioblem if you only print text documents, but not to be recommended for photos.

MJohnson145 Wed 26-Feb-14 12:17:10

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MiniMouse Mon 17-Mar-14 20:07:40

I use compatible cartridges for my Canon printer. When I've installed them I press the 'Correction' button on the printer for a few seconds, which seems to overcome any issues with it not being Canon or not being recognised etc. or constantly flagging up that a new cartridge has been fitted.

syed Sat 18-Oct-14 20:25:16

toners or ink catridges...what is the best possible choice???!!!
looking forward to ur replies...
www.tonertree.com

pompa Sat 18-Oct-14 20:49:20

I have used Jetec cartridges in Canon and Epson photo printers for several years. I am a keen photographer and print up to A3 size, Jetec are a fraction of the price of manufacturers cartridges and produce very good results. They do not have the lightfastness of manufacturers cartridges, but are good enough for most purposes.
I get mine online from www.expressinkcartridges.co.uk.

Over the years I have had 3 or 4 faulty cartridges (probably used over 400 cartridges) the above company have replaced then without fuss very promptly.

Dancolgan Thu 29-Jan-15 10:55:25

Few days ago I was purchasing replacement cartridge for my Dot Matrix Printer, its help me in my business. but if I had any problem I always contact my service provider and they give me good suggestion. so you should contact your service provider.

I am always purchasing all cartridge through online at BPA Free Rolls

loopylou Thu 29-Jan-15 11:21:54

I bought cheaper cartridges for my Kodak printer and wrecked it- very expensive 'bargain' as had to buy new printer.
I won't try that again, the old printer left black smears across every page and although I took it to a printer expert to investigate, he told me the cheaper ink (not the cheapest) had damaged the ruddy machine and the printer was kaput angry
The company I bought them from didn't want to know but subsequent reviews on A...... were scathing- the previous reviews were perhaps too good to be true sad

crun Thu 29-Jan-15 15:51:26

If I need a printer I use the one in the library, I refuse to buy one of my own because the ink cartridges are an anti-competitive racket.

Retiredguy Thu 29-Jan-15 16:07:27

A 'refill your cartridges' shop opened up in then town near where we used to live.
I gave them a try.
Nothing worked, after going back several times for replacements to try I just gave up.
That shop didn't last long.

Anne58 Thu 29-Jan-15 16:39:57

We've used internetink a few times with no problems. Oh, tell a fib, we did have one problem and they sent a replacement by next day delivery FOC.