Gransnet forums

Technology

Windows 10 free download

(68 Posts)
opsimath Sun 16-Aug-15 09:29:19

Has anyone here also been offered a free download of this new Microsoft system? Have you or would you accept it? I would like to think all the glitches have been ironed out but not being sure makes me hesitate. They say the download will cost almost £100 later so has anyone taken the plunge and are they happy? I would be so grateful for advice.

Coolgran65 Thu 04-Aug-16 06:53:23

Dss installed Windows 10 two weeks ago onto our 5 year old desktop.all would appear good. A few differences I.e. uploading photos is slightly different but I eventually got there.

No problems with on line banking etc it was all just the same.

NfkDumpling Thu 04-Aug-16 06:00:45

Oh good, hopefully that means our old Windows 7 which DH uses is safe! My laptop still has problems - refusing to shut down and going into a loop if I forget and right click. I really must take it in to be fixed - again!

GandTea Thu 04-Aug-16 04:13:06

This is an update to existing Windows 10 systems, not an update from previous versions. Free Windows 10 has now lapsed.

phoenix Wed 03-Aug-16 22:34:59

On our village message board Facebook page today, one desperate person who had updated and had all sorts of problems, not least losing her broadband!

Think I will stick with what I have.

GandTea Wed 03-Aug-16 22:21:45

The Google calendar now integrates well smile Reminders now pop up.

GandTea Wed 03-Aug-16 21:49:43

I have just installed the Windows 10 anniversary update. This is a large update and does take a while (about an hour total).

No problems whatsoever, although I haven't explored all the new and changed features yet. Edge looks a lot better so far, and Sticky notes are back in a useful format.

crun Wed 29-Jun-16 15:56:07

"Windows have had to change their automatic upgrade after complaints being sued." I had been feeling tempted to try reporting them for hacking.

Elegran Wed 29-Jun-16 11:01:20

Windows have had to change their automatic upgrade after complaints www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36657890

GandTea Wed 22-Jun-16 08:46:14

Marmight. Go into Windows update settings and change from automatic to Notify to schedule restart.

grannylyn65 Mon 20-Jun-16 19:46:32

Not whilst there's breath in my decaying body!!!

Marmight Mon 20-Jun-16 18:10:28

After months of being offered an upgrade to W10 amd consistently refusing, I was in the middle of an important letter recently, when everything shut down and I was upgraded without a by your leave. Bloody cheek. Anyway, it's not as bad as I had feared and I suppose I will eventually get used to it.

felice Mon 20-Jun-16 17:08:49

Same here grannylyn, and it immediately removed my online banking (had to take the laptop to the bank to get it sorted) and BBC radio app.
It took a friend 4 hours to re-install it.
It is a nightmare.

grannylyn65 Mon 20-Jun-16 16:34:27

No No No !!
And, make sure you do not have automatic updates; it installed itself on my pc !!!angry

Badenkate Mon 20-Jun-16 16:32:55

I think if you have reasonably new computers without a lot of stuff on them, then Windows 10 is worth downloading, but if your computer is more than 3 years old I don't think it's worth the time or aggro. You do have to accept that Microsoft will eventually remove backup for older systems.

Charleygirl Mon 20-Jun-16 16:31:09

honeypot43 as I said earlier I was advised by my computer fellow not to switch as there are still problems. Some people have managed without a hitch but I am not taking that chance, even if I end up paying for it next year.

honeypot43 Mon 20-Jun-16 16:24:03

I also get Windows 10 advice to download it, but was advised not to do it, as I have Windows 7 at the moment. Not sure whats best to do

AlieOxon Sat 04-Jun-16 10:40:31

It isn't back. Thanks GandTea.

GandTea Sat 04-Jun-16 10:08:29

A good kicking by re-booting often works. grin

AlieOxon Fri 03-Jun-16 14:33:58

No. we;; that's something.
What d'you bet it is back in the morning??

AlieOxon Fri 03-Jun-16 14:29:47

I'll find out!

GandTea Fri 03-Jun-16 12:09:38

Is it still there if you re-boot ?

AlieOxon Fri 03-Jun-16 11:17:38

I still have windows 7, have consistently said No to Windows 10 but now keep getting attempts to download UPGRADES to windows 10.

Stopped it once but now have a window for upgrade which doesn't give me the option to say NO.....I nave moved it out of the way but it's been there all morning - what do I do????

GandTea Tue 17-May-16 11:38:10

Did you cancel your update request ? otherwise it would continue to load updates.
But, as I said, if you don't like it, just don't install it. Windows10 will not install unless you agree.

I would be far more concerned if Microsoft did not send me updates as they were available.

grannylyn65 Tue 17-May-16 10:45:54

Because I tried it before and it was a disaster.

GandTea Tue 17-May-16 10:04:27

They do this because you have opted to receive Windows updates ( a very smart move, as not getting update would leave you open to security issues ) Windows10 is just an update like any other, you don't have to install it though. I also thought you had to register your interest in Windows 10, that was ages ago, so you may have clicked the option without realising that it would download.

BUT, they have not charged you, so what is the concern.