Gransnet forums

Technology

Windows 10 free download

(67 Posts)
opsimath Sun 16-Aug-15 09:29:19

Has anyone here also been offered a free download of this new Microsoft system? Have you or would you accept it? I would like to think all the glitches have been ironed out but not being sure makes me hesitate. They say the download will cost almost £100 later so has anyone taken the plunge and are they happy? I would be so grateful for advice.

Grannyknot Sun 16-Aug-15 09:33:32

Hi opsi there's another thread about Windows 10:

www.gransnet.com/forums/technology/1216781-Windows-10

We're about to download it to our computer.

kittylester Sun 16-Aug-15 09:48:01

Mick couldn't post when he downloaded it. A friend of ours has also downloaded it and couldn't access his online banking etc so reverted.

opsimath Sun 16-Aug-15 10:35:18

Thank you Granny knot for the link. I have read all the posts and think I will wait a while before deciding to take Windows 10 download. I have, like another poster, a newish (less than a year old) computer and have got used to 8.1 slowly. I liked my old XP system and did not expect to need to change again so quickly. All in all I think I will wait a while.
Thank you everyone for helping me.

Charleygirl Sun 16-Aug-15 10:46:45

opsimath I am also waiting in the wings until the glitches have been sorted out. If I have to pay for it, so be it at least I will not have the worry that some of my friends have that they cannot access what they want or it has not downloaded properly as in Mick's case.

opsimath Sun 16-Aug-15 15:16:12

Charleygirl. I feel the same, if I have to pay for, so be it. Rather that than have a difficult time because something has gone wrong.

Happy4me Sat 29-Aug-15 11:56:36

Hello opsi

I too reserved Windows 10 on my Windows 7 laptop but hit problems ... I had notification when ready then it began downloading ... every time it began downloading it sent mountains of updates only to get to final stage rebooting when my laptop crashed ... when I rebooted it said it was recovering Windows 7 each time.

This went on several times with Microsoft claiming fault yet it stated my laptop was ready for upgrade ... even my pc man had doubts about it all.

Because I now have to use cleaners to remove junk that arrived during the updates ... I have cancelled my reservation for Windows 10 and have come to conclusion it has been a very effective way of checking number of Windows users offering free Windows 10 as the white windows icon does not go.

PRINTMISS Sat 29-Aug-15 17:57:52

I am doing nothing, sticking with what I have. Serious reservations about this new Windows 10.

Luckygirl Sat 29-Aug-15 17:59:37

Loads of problems being reported. It amazes me that they let these things loose on the population before properly trailing it and being sure it actually works!

Nandalot Sat 29-Aug-15 18:53:47

I have downloaded windows 10. I decided to do it because I bought a new desktop which had windows 8 and the desktop it was replacing was Windows 7. I knew there would be a big learning curve and so thought I would do that just the once. It took hours, about 8. We are not on super fast broadband ..that's being installed on Weds. So that's probably why.

Have only used it a few times so far but touch wood so far okay. I find it a big jump from 7. It is more geared to the app. World than 7 and I think I am a it of a dinosaur.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 29-Aug-15 20:32:40

I've got it. Apparently. Son downloaded it from a distance. Can't tell any difference really.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 29-Aug-15 20:33:53

What is supposed to be different with it? confused Am I missing something?

Marelli Sat 29-Aug-15 20:47:47

My friend's son (my computer saviour) downloaded it remotely for me, too, jings. I don't find any difference either. All it did for me was cause quite a bit of annoyance because I couldn't access my emails, online banking, etc and had to invent new passwords for just about everything. However, my computer saviour has told me it's much better..... confused.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 29-Aug-15 22:27:39

I first noticed something was different when I couldn't see the Chrome symbol anymore. I use Firefox but defaulted to Chrome when the blocker for Gransnet came on at 10 am. (to stop me spending too much time on here) I can't do that anymore, but I've got a mini i-pad now and that works on Chrome anyway. smile

NfkDumpling Thu 29-Oct-15 06:58:44

Having seen Windows 10 on a friend's computer I thought it looked considerably better than Windows 8, so I've taken the plunge and downloaded it yesterday. The bloomin' thing wouldn't shut down last night - so I did a force shutdown - after half an hour. And now this morning, it's taken over half an hour to fire up again.

If it works it does seem better than Windows 8 (as long as I don't close it down completely, ever again), but I do wish they'd stuck at Windows 7!

sherish Thu 29-Oct-15 08:06:37

I recently bought a new laptop because my trusty Acer laptop had a broken lid and was looking quite shabby. I had windows 7 which I loved and was reluctant to have Windows 10. However when I bought my new laptop it had Windows 8 which I definitely didn't want. Curry's PC World put Windows 10 onto it and I am quite used to it now. I have changed to Google Chrome which I had got used to before. All good and I'm quite happy with it. No problems at all.

NfkDumpling Thu 29-Oct-15 09:44:49

Ah, my friend has Google Chrome - and it was on Windows 8, but doesn't seem to have transferred over. I'll reload that. (Sometime - busy weekend ahead!). McAfee doesn't approve of Windows Edge either!

M0nica Thu 29-Oct-15 12:32:56

Don't do it! DD downloaded it successfully and encouraged me to do the same as I was having some problems with Windows 7.

I downloaded and installed it - and it immediately came up with a 'critical error' message. And that was that, unusable computer. DH looked up a solution on his pc, but it required clicking on an icon not present on the Windows 10 screen visible on my pc.

It took DH two days and consultation with a technical expert before I was able to revert back to Windoiws 7. The technical expert said unless you are an expert nobody should download it for at least a year.

stillhere Thu 29-Oct-15 12:56:00

How timely - we have a panicky DS at uni with the same problem, we told him to take it to the uni's technical dept. to see if they could help, as DBH is away now. The message read

'Windows 10 has killed my laptop
The hamster has escaped
My headphones have died
Kill me now.'

grin

M0nica Thu 29-Oct-15 20:15:32

stillhere, yes, that sums up exactly how I felt, metaphorically.

Maranta Thu 29-Oct-15 20:36:32

Well I seem to be the lucky one then. I downloaded and installed it with no problem at all so it can't all be bad.

aggie Thu 29-Oct-15 21:45:49

I haven't had a problem .......... once I found the off icon lol

korence Tue 08-Mar-16 01:40:39

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

shiningfish31 Mon 28-Mar-16 04:14:46

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Anniebach Mon 28-Mar-16 07:39:22

I cannot get use to it , I like Windows 7 still