Gransnet forums

Technology

Is an ipad really best?

(49 Posts)
NotTooOld Mon 04-Apr-16 17:07:31

I'm thinking of ditching my Asus netbook and buying a tablet. I've noticed that the ipad is much more expensive than other tablets and am wondering if they are really worth the extra. I don't have an iphone, I have a Samsung phone which I am quite happy with. Any advice, please?

NotTooOld Tue 05-Apr-16 20:45:42

Thank you all so much for the good advice.

I think what I really, really want does not actually exist. What I really, really want is a tablet on which I can surf the internet, buy stuff, use gnet and FB, access my email and (big problem this) have a word processing programme which I can use for my writing. I also need it to print. So, thingmajig, you have confirmed my suspicions that I need a laptop as well as a tablet. Whether that is an ipad or something else is still perplexing me but only because of the cost. Still, what the h**l, it can come out of the children's inheritance - they both already have ipads!

janeayresister - I had the same teaching idea as you when I once lived on an island for a while. I quickly found I was in danger of becoming patronising as all the senior citizens I met were committed techies and needed no help from me!

pompa Tue 05-Apr-16 21:03:15

NTO, there is a solution to your problem, the Microsoft Surface Pro, gives best of both laptop and tablet. It gets very good reviews, but it is expensive. Circa £770

pompa Tue 05-Apr-16 21:17:05

There is one downside with the surface pro, it has poor battery life, so take this into account.

NotTooOld Tue 05-Apr-16 21:35:36

Thanks, pompa. How 'poor' is 'poor'? My netbook lasts about 4 hours, I think.

Indinana Tue 05-Apr-16 21:41:26

I've had an iPad since the first launch and an iPhone soon afterwards. I've also got an iMac desktop and I won an iPad Mini on here recently. I have totally bought into the Apple brand and wouldn't use anything else. I love being able to sync my photos, music and documents across all devices. And the fact that there is as yet a much reduced risk of cyber attacks than on a Windows platform - I have never had any anti-virus software on any of them, and have never had any trouble.

Izabella Tue 05-Apr-16 21:42:36

You can do all of that on a cheap tablet using open source programmes. Open office is free to download and has word processing, spread sheets, graphics and drawing programmes. You can save documents in MS format if you wish/and or if you need to send documents through to MS users. You can use Firefox, Mint or Chrome for your internet. If you google open source software you should pick up the advice you need. Whilst all this is possible it is not easy using WP programmes on smaller tablets if you type properly. If you are a one finger typist then probably not a problem. I suggest you find a Linux forum on the Internet and post some questions to the experts on there.

pompa Tue 05-Apr-16 21:45:20

NTO, my computing requirements are very similar to yours, I need a keyboard, I type a lot and could not cope with a tablet (even iPad). I use a smart phone when away from the house for inetrnet/mail etc. When the time comes to replace my existing laptop, I will probably go for one of the smaller laptops with a touch screen and detachable keyboard.

pompa Tue 05-Apr-16 21:51:49

However to confuse you again, keyboards are available for iPads and Airprinters are not very expensive.

Am I talking myself into an iPad ??

NotTooOld Tue 05-Apr-16 21:57:38

Pompa - that's a good idea. I've rather rejected the small laptops with a detachable keyboard but with no good reason but I can see now that it could be a tablet AND a laptop if it has a touchscreen. Any recommendations as to make?

Izabella - thanks for that. I am a ten finger typist so, as you suggest, typing on a small screen would not work for me. Is it possible to download Open Office on to to a tablet? I tried on my Asus netbook once but there was not enough memory.

NotTooOld Tue 05-Apr-16 22:05:50

Oh, sorry, Pompa. I've just discovered that the Microsoft Surface Pro IS a 2-in-one (see, I'm even getting into the jargon). I'm looking into it now - also seeing if mortgages are available grin.

Anniebach Tue 05-Apr-16 22:47:19

I have just bought a keyboard for my iPad , have only tried it once but I think I like it.

rascal Wed 06-Apr-16 10:16:42

I have never had any Apple gadgets but the gadgets I do have seem to do what others on here can do with their Apple gadgets. I have a Sony Xperia smartphone which works on a T9 keypad for Android. I prefer it to the qwerty keyboard on a smartphone.

I have a Lenovo laptop that the keyboard can detach so it can work as a tablet as well. I like using the keyboard attached to the laptop as I can touch type and that is much quicker than trying to use the qwerty keypad on the tablet.

All gadgets can connect to the Internet in any room of the house which is great. Where would we be without our gadgets! grin

pompa Wed 06-Apr-16 10:47:48

This thread has enlightened me. I have Microsoft written right though me, like a stick of rock, I understand Microsoft operating systems, Apple has always been a mystery.
This thread has caused me to re-evaluate my wife's IPad to see if it can do evrything that I would need, without costing me a fortune and being compatible with Microsoft documents.
It seem that there are free/cheat apps that will cope with my word-processing and spreadsheet requirements and I guess there are adequate photo editing apps.
I am starting to understand IOS better, like, (not love yet) it more.
From the experience of my wife, it certainly is more bullet proof that earlier version of Windows, Windows10 is however pretty bullet proof compared to early versions.

NotTooOld Wed 06-Apr-16 10:56:44

pompa - me, too. The 2 in one's are not cheap are they and I wonder if it would be like buying a teafee pot (said to be ok for tea and coffee but does not do a proper job of either), if you see what I mean. If you can download a word processing app and also, as Anniebach suggests, buy a keyboard for the ipad, then that could be the answer. Do tell if you have any more thoughts on the subject.

This is a really useful thread.

pompa Wed 06-Apr-16 11:52:20

NTO, re-reading your post, if you had a keyboard and airprinter, the only thing you would need is a word processing app. I will have a look at the ones available for IOS to see how well they work. (when I can prise the iPad from MrsP)

Tizliz Wed 06-Apr-16 12:03:45

Windows laptop which we get out every so often in order to spend three hours waiting for it to update and restart.

I have got one of those! Though looking round I can't see it, must have disappeared until piles of stuff.

pompa Thu 07-Apr-16 07:33:19

Been trying Google Docs and Sheets on iPad. These would certainly cover our needs for word processing and spreadsheets on the iPad. They also have the advantage of sharing the files across my windows devices and being able to edit them there as well. Have tried printing Doc and Sheets from iPad, works fine.
And -- it's free smile

Now to look at the photo side of things.

Knowsley Thu 07-Apr-16 09:40:25

It's really a case of ergonomics.

Analyse what you require. What are your physical needs? How is your eyesight - many older Users benefit from having a screen size of 15" minimum. Do you suffer from arthritis, what size keyboard do you feel best suits you. Where do you wish to go on-line? How many hours daily usage would you need? Would a portable device be more suitable? If you shop or bank on-line it is far more advisable to do so only from a secure home internet connection.

Think before you seek advice. Please ignore 'the grandchild who knows all about computers' and the store salesperson who is on a commission to sell products (remember the little old lady who wanted a runabout to go shopping and go to church on Sundays who drove out of the car sales room in a convertible sports car?). I would suggest a trip to the local library to browse their Which? reports if you want good independent advice. Even computer magazines get more revenue from advertisers than they do from magazine sales. Make a short list of suitable items, see if you can get a hands on feel of those models from family, friends or sales rooms. Purchase from a cheap but reliable retailer (I buy most of my items on-line but I realise some feel happier buying from a store nearby).

Finally when you get your computer, it will probably need a little fine-tuning. If you feel confident enough do this yourself, otherwise seek a Digital Champion to do it for you. Things to consider: appearance - is the text size large enough and clear enough to read easily (I would suggest using the Verdana font as this is the easiest font to read). Is it set to use English UK language and dictionaries, has the spell-checker been set to offer spelling suggestions? Do you have the correct levels of security set for anti-virus and anti-malware? (you should only have one anti-virus programme/app installed as two or more will contend with each other and slow down your computer. Free security programmes/apps are sufficient for home-computing). Extensions to the web-browser (the thing that enables your computer to access the internet) can be a godsend - I couldn't do without AdBlock-Plus which blocks pop-up ads from appearing. They also allow greater security cover.

To get the most from your computer, try somewhere like the Digital Unite website (https://digitalunite.com) the Guides & Support section is wonderful with many easy-to-follow guides written in plain English and many include screen shots to help beginners to accomplish many new skills on-line. Feel free to register with them (it's free!) and you can then use the forums to seek advice or share tips that you yourself have picked up.

Enjoy your computer!

Mamie Thu 07-Apr-16 10:05:46

We use Google docs and have also used Pages for word processing.
We use the Mac Mini for serious writing but spreadsheets are fine on the Ipad. Obviously no virus protection needed.
Just out of interest does anyone else get a bit miffed about patronising attitudes to "silver surfers" as if we had never seen the bloody things before.
OH started on mainframes in 1971 and I used them for work from the early 1980s. I am inclined to think they were a bit harder to understand and use back then!

Coolgran65 Thu 07-Apr-16 10:40:19

My iPhone is second hand, passed on from my ddil when she upgraded. My Kindle Fire HD is about 4 years old and is wonderful and is synched with my phone. Between the two of them I'm very happy. My old faithful desktop and printer are stored/hidden in a beautiful desk cabinet with doors but ready to roll at a moment's notice. I use this quite often for all sorts including selling on ebay and typing up paperwork - in particular because I am a 80 words per minute ten finger typist. The one finger typing does my head in!!

Also sitting at a proper desk is such an advantage to spread papers, notes, pens,ruler.

Different horses for different courses smile

NanaMacGeek Sun 10-Apr-16 00:50:20

I've also been enjoying this thread. I have an iMac, a MacBook Air, an iPad Air, a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 and an Android smartphone. Overkill, perhaps but I volunteer at a centre that helps people get to grips with technologies and need to play with all my toys for their benefit (my excuse - OH thinks I'm mad). My iPad is my companion in the evenings, games, TV scheduling, Facetime, quick look at emails, photo albums set up especially for taking to friends and relatives on a visit. But as soon as I need to type longer letters or reports, change Google settings, set up new payees on my bank account, edit videos etc. the MBA comes out. I'm a copy typist and find the separate keyboards for tablets too small. There is one misconception about the iPad though, you don't need a wireless printer if you have a 'wired' one connected to another Mac. My printer/scanner is ancient but connected physically by USB to my iMac. As long as the iMac and the connected printer are switched on, I can print from the iPad wirelessly. The only other thing I would add is that Apple have locked down the the IOS operating system by only allowing apps from their app store to be downloaded. This ensures that rogue apps/malware can't be downloaded but does limit your freedom to add apps that Apple does not support.

pompa Sun 10-Apr-16 08:12:40

A wired printer connected to a PC will also work. But unless your existing printer is an expensive one, I would invest in a new wireless one.

unlockingiphone Thu 14-Jul-16 15:24:28

Unlocking IPhone is providing the complete unlocking solutions for iPhones. I suggest the IPAD for you it's compact and really best in all terms of technical specifications.official iphone unlock