Gransnet forums

Technology

Is an ipad really best?

(48 Posts)
NotTooOld Mon 04-Apr-16 17:07:31

I'm thinking of ditching my Asus netbook and buying a tablet. I've noticed that the ipad is much more expensive than other tablets and am wondering if they are really worth the extra. I don't have an iphone, I have a Samsung phone which I am quite happy with. Any advice, please?

storynanny Mon 04-Apr-16 17:34:12

We didn't buy ours, we have it on a £29 a month contract with 3. After 2 years it became ours to keep. We don't have a landline so had to have one with internal whatever it is called ("the Internet")
After 2 years we simply got another contract and gave the first iPad to my grandson who uses it at his house on wifi.
I love the iPad, everything about it.

chloe1984 Mon 04-Apr-16 18:15:30

I love the usibility of my iPad I sync it with my other Apple gadgets so all my music pictures etc appear on all of them. A total Apple convert here.

Envious Tue 05-Apr-16 00:47:07

I can't sit for long periods of time because of back pain. If being on the internet only involved a lap top I'd be out of luck! Love my iPad but I don't have any experience or knowledge of other tablets.

NanKate Tue 05-Apr-16 07:18:19

I wouldn't be without my IPad. It opens up quickly, I can browse the Internet in any room in the house and make purchases. I watch all my catch up tv programmes on it too.

I use the email facility every day.

My son has linked me to Amazon Prime (which he pays for) where I can get films or tv series. I managed to link myself to Nowtv which I have on my main tv, which allows me to watch my favourite tennis championships around the world.

All in all I would rate it 100%.

jillyco Tue 05-Apr-16 08:14:33

It depends on how tech savvy you are; as you are already using a Samsung phone, then a Samsung tablet will work in much the same way. Before making your mind up, I would suggest you go into an Apple store and ask to be shown how to use an iPad and, in particular, any tasks you regularly do on your netbook other than simply browsing or checking emails etc. Another thing to think about it if you regularly print things is that you will need an 'Airprint' enabled printer to do this from an iPad. (I don't know anything about printing from other tablets, I'm afraid!).

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 05-Apr-16 09:05:23

I like my mini iPad because it's lighter than DH's clunky Hudl. Important because I use it as a camera on trips.

Alima Tue 05-Apr-16 09:23:02

I find my iPad very easy to use, especially swapping photos on cloud etc. DH has a Samsung which is also very good, not sure if you can use cloud on that. iPads also have apple security too.

shysal Tue 05-Apr-16 09:25:10

I have a Samsung tablet. I used to be very pleased with it but, at a few years old now, it is very sluggish and sometimes unresponsive to my finger or a stylus. However, the way it works will be similar to your phone. I can print from it on my HP wireless all-in-one printer.
My GCs love their iPads and don't seem to have any problems, so maybe the extra outlay is worth it.

Alima Tue 05-Apr-16 09:54:31

Quick question on the iPad, does anyone know where to find the bold type function please.

Indinana Tue 05-Apr-16 10:31:56

Do you mean on Gransnet mobile site Alima? If so, look for the three symbols just below the text box you're typing your post in - the middle symbol is a circle with a 'u' in it. Tap on this and you'll get a menu of options, including the bold function. (it actually just produces two asterisks for you to type between)

annodomini Tue 05-Apr-16 11:43:46

I did have a Huddl - still have - but it drove me crazy because it was so slow. Then I saw a Black Friday offer of a Kindle Fire for £35. It took a bit of getting used to, because it uses a kind of modified Android OS, but it's easy to find things on the internet and it synchs with my phone and laptop calendars, so I need never forget an appointment. I download books onto my Kindle reader and the Fire so that if the battery on one needs recharging, I can read my book on the other. And it takes me to the right place.

pompa Tue 05-Apr-16 12:07:34

IMO the Ipad is the market leader for good reason, however it also the most expensive. Only you know whether performance is a priority and worth the extra. I don't have a tablet, MrsP has an iPad and IPhone, work very well together. I would certainly go for an iPad as my choice.

Izabella Tue 05-Apr-16 12:15:16

Agree about ease of use and Quality. I use one but also have a £30 bargain basement tablet.
Apple should come all set up for you with very little to do. Links mainly with Apple
Cheaper tablets you may need some technical ability to download and install what you want on it, but you are more in control and a free agent.

Swings and roundabouts really. The main thing with ageing eyes is screen resolution so shop around and see what you can see best on which tablet but make sure you move away from the overhead lights the showrooms have on.

If you have g children using them in schools, may help to get the same type perhaps.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 05-Apr-16 12:17:38

The Nexus ones come a close second to iPads. They are a little bit cheaper.

Anniebach Tue 05-Apr-16 12:21:28

I love my iPad, my niece had a kindle fire but after using my iPad she changed to the same

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 05-Apr-16 12:29:15

My Kindle Fire gave up the ghost.

janeayressister Tue 05-Apr-16 13:08:24

We are an apple house here. I worked using computers, white boards etc so I have an Apple IPad and a Apple Mac Book Pro, lap top computer. and iPhone.
All my books are on the iPad. For journeys on an aircraft I download a film and podcasts from the radio app BBC IPlayer for radio or BBC IPlayer etc.

I watch English TVs abroad ( you need a WIFI connection) through an app.

My husband who is hopeless has been equipped by me with an IPhone and an IPad and now he is totally addicted.
I use it as a diary and have bought extra memory from apple( cloud)

When we are disabled I shall use it for shopping online. I bank online. I also have Fitbit which connects to all my devices it to monitor my fitness level.

It is an amazing tool and an aid for living. I love it, I love it.
I had thought of teaching OAP ( especially women) how to get to grips with Technology, but some of them just done want to learn and even seem proud of being computer free. Also I don't need the money.

I am writing this post from the Canary Islands. It is pouring with rain, as a matter of interest.

Cybernan12 Tue 05-Apr-16 13:17:21

I'm a complete convert to all things Apple! I wouldnt be without my iPad. They are a bit pricey but well worth it! My only advice would be to get as larger memory as you can afford!!

SusieB50 Tue 05-Apr-16 13:27:46

I love my iPad . My SiL found me a reconditioned one about 3 years ago for around £150 I think . Still perfect and wouldn't be without it now . I watch iplayer with headphones , do emails, browse on the Internet all in my armchair and I don't need to go up to the study anymore which is full of my OH rubbish and mess . I do use my lap top ( also very old and second hand ) to write documents and letters still .

Alima Tue 05-Apr-16 14:15:23

indinana. I will have a go, thank you

Alima Tue 05-Apr-16 14:16:37

Yay, it worked!

Mamie Tue 05-Apr-16 14:23:30

We have an ipad mini each, an iphone each and a Mac Mini. We also have a Windows laptop which we get out every so often in order to spend three hours waiting for it to update and restart.
We bought our first Apple Mac in 1983 and have loved them ever since despite having to use the other things for work. grin

Thingmajig Tue 05-Apr-16 14:42:36

It depends what it is you want to be able to do. I've been using an iPad for a few years now and love it, but for some things I really need to use the laptop.

IPad is good for using its apps, emailing, gnetting of course, facebooking and browsing the internet. If you have an "air" printer you can even print stuff too. Also the perfect size for travelling!

However for more involved stuff like improving your photos, Microsoft word and all its components etc and whatever other programs you might use really need a pc. I have my laptop connected to my Cricut machine for crafting and while I could use it with my iPad I wouldn't have full function of the program.

I have no experience of any other tablets on the market (apart from the excellent Kindle Fire, which would be a good cheap option) so can't comment on that aspect.

I find somethings are just easier on the laptop so best option is to have one of each!!! grin

mrsjones Tue 05-Apr-16 15:54:54

I have a mini iPad and a Kindle Fire, OH has a Samsung Galaxy tablet and the iPad wins by a mile. I am very "un-techy" but find it very easy to use and I also use it as a camera when out. It's just perfect.