Gransnet forums

Technology

Good time to prune junk emails

(49 Posts)
JessM Wed 21-Dec-16 16:55:54

They build up, don't they, those advertising emails. You've bought something on line, or given a reputable company your email at some stage in the past. And ever after they sent you sales emails. Now is the perfect time to prune the list because lots of firms are sending out Christmas greetings etc
Just go to the bottom, read the tiny print and there will be a link to "unsubscribe". If you click on the link and sometimes click once more as instructed, the sales emails should be history.
Of course for Spam emails that are encouraging you to click on links to check your tax rebate, bank account, winnings etc etc just delete them and never click on their links.

Ana Wed 21-Dec-16 16:59:57

I do that regularly throughout the year. Surely no one keeps a whole year's supply of advertising e-mails in their inbox, do they?

tanith Wed 21-Dec-16 17:22:20

I put filters on my e-mail account so most unsolicited mail is sent straight to spam, I check it just in case. A few get through but they are swiftly deleted or trashed.

Grannyknot Wed 21-Dec-16 17:48:26

Ana I've got about 3500 unopened ones in my inbox. I ignore them, they can sit in the ether for evermore as far as I am concerned.

Ana Wed 21-Dec-16 17:52:00

Why don't you just delete them? confused

Rinouchka Wed 21-Dec-16 18:05:23

Yes. Deleting is one of my favourite activities. I encourage everyone to do more of it.

ginny Wed 21-Dec-16 18:30:35

I delete junk mail every day. It doesn't take a few seconds.

ninathenana Wed 21-Dec-16 18:35:08

Me too ginny

Maranta Wed 21-Dec-16 18:46:06

Same here, I can't bear having lots of unopened emails around. I just wish I was organised enough to file emails into appropriate folders.

Grannyknot Thu 22-Dec-16 07:21:43

ana I let them build up once or twice and after that I was overwhelmed. Maybe I'm an unopened email hoarder. (I don't hoard in real life BTW).

However, a friend just posted (see attached) on Fussbook, so clearly I am not the only one! Gonna give it a try.

JessM Thu 22-Dec-16 07:46:42

Ana I was not talking about deleting but getting yourself off the emailing list so that you dont hear any more from that company.

Cunco Thu 22-Dec-16 08:08:52

What worries me is that soon some clever bandit will replicate a company's e-mail completely and its unsubscribe link will take me to where nobody sane has gone before. shock

Nelliemoser Thu 22-Dec-16 08:46:11

Many sites do have a facilty for stopping these "offers".
If you look at the small print at the bottom of the page.

This is one from a plant company I bought from recently.

Marshalls | Alconbury Hill | Cambridgeshire | PE28 4HY
Unsubscribe from future marketing messages.

You can then click the underlined "unsubscribe" tag and they will/should stop.

Anniebach Thu 22-Dec-16 10:02:55

Wish I hadn't read this thread, just checked my mail, dates from 2010 . The how to unsubscribe is so useful , thank you

JessM Thu 22-Dec-16 10:37:05

Just use unsubscribe for companies that you have dealt with and there is unlikely to be a problem Cunco

Cunco Thu 22-Dec-16 13:19:37

Yes, Jess, for now. But how long before the bandits reproduce well-known names who most of us may have dealt with sometime in the past? Quite scary.

Ana Thu 22-Dec-16 13:37:45

Yes, I know that was what you meant Jess, and that's what I do regularly (unsuscribe).

My comment to Grannknot was because she had so many unopened emails in her inbox. If some of mine are junk I either send them to 'junk' or simply delete them.

Icyalittle Thu 22-Dec-16 14:00:05

JessM very good reminder, thanks. I went through a phase when I diligently unsubscribed things regularly because I was going to be off internet for 3 weeks and didn't want to come back to a mountain like Grannyknot 's. I managed to reduce my daily emails from a hundred-odd to fewer than 10, but I notice they are starting to creep back up again. I shall do it!

JessM Thu 22-Dec-16 22:05:43

impressive icylittle

Grannyknot Thu 22-Dec-16 22:25:58

...but does it really matter? With search facilities on email folders being so efficient nowadays, why bother to keep emails down? I've got enough to do in real life.

I know people say to do it regularly, but no matter how diligently they are deleted or unsubscribed, they do build up again. Even the OP says that.

Ana Thu 22-Dec-16 22:30:13

I'm not really sure, Grannyknot, apart from the build-up offending my sense of order! smile

Jalima Thu 22-Dec-16 23:03:42

Is there a limit on how many your account will hold though - so if you don't unsubscribe or delete new ones may not be able to be delivered.
I'm sure it happened to me years ago, I delete or unsubscribe fairly regularly (not every day though).

Nelliemoser Fri 23-Dec-16 00:04:07

My inbox was getting right out of hand with these. I am not surprised that most of them were gardening related sites.

foxie Fri 23-Dec-16 09:59:21

All email programs have a built in filter system enabling you to delete anything not specifically addressed to you to be dumped in a junk file. There are ways and means so have a look

puppytoe Fri 23-Dec-16 10:00:09

When you buy from an Internet company they usually ask you if you wish to receive further marketing emails. You might have to look hard for the box to tick or untick but most reputable companies have them.