Gransnet forums

Technology

I'm curious..

(48 Posts)
cyberguy Thu 17-Aug-17 17:20:30

What are your biggest challenges when it comes to technology? What drives you bonkers? (or used to until you fixed it!) smile

tanith Thu 17-Aug-17 17:34:45

Passwords!! When you know you putting it in correctly but it doesn't work angry

ninathenana Thu 17-Aug-17 17:55:34

Sites that take forever to load. That spinning circle makes me want to throw my device.
FB deciding to randomly stop and chuck me out.
I could go on grin

shysal Thu 17-Aug-17 18:28:49

On line forms (like GN competitions) which do not work on autofill.

Fishpieplease Thu 17-Aug-17 18:56:27

All the so called safety features on my car that I can't get my head around,especially when there's no handbook and you have to read it on the monitor on the car. Even if I do,I've forgotten by the next time I trying to activate it at 50mph.

Drives me bonkers. (ha ha)

Christinefrance Thu 17-Aug-17 19:19:27

Completing an on line order and it fails at the last minute.

FarNorth Thu 17-Aug-17 19:23:36

I have no idea if I've got enough / too much online virus protection etc.

BlueBelle Thu 17-Aug-17 19:25:24

Tonight I tried to book some theatre tickets it's not in my local town theatre so one I use infrequently (probably last 3 + years ago) I went through the whole process found some nice seats for me and my friend went to pay and up pops a box to tell me I need to create an account or log in Believing I didn't have an account as no memory or record of one I created one only to be told I already had one and my username and password didn't match, well I went through where I keep password info ( in my own code) and ZILCH for this theatre I tried a few of my well known usernames blooming nothing So now I have to ring in and get my username but theatre is closed .......dahdahdah

NotAGran55 Thu 17-Aug-17 20:23:08

The internet dropping out - Argghh . The joys of rural life .

nanaK54 Thu 17-Aug-17 21:00:41

Ahem - I'm curious too.........what are you going to use our answers for?

Moocow Thu 17-Aug-17 21:26:59

Another curious poster. And your answer is?

kittylester Fri 18-Aug-17 06:29:44

I wondered too.

My answer is the same as BlueBelle's

Teetime Fri 18-Aug-17 09:23:22

I have my own cyberguy who fixes things for me. grin

ninathenana Fri 18-Aug-17 09:31:38

I too have a "man that can" I must be naive, I assumed the OP was simply a way of starting a thread.
As in "What annoys you about driving"
Or "What annoys you about your OH" grin

goldengirl Fri 18-Aug-17 14:31:26

When I've agreed to an update and it takes my PC 3 hours to do it!

devongirl Fri 18-Aug-17 16:40:41

Back to the password issue - forgetting the password, clicking to change, then remembering password but no longer able to re-use it!

Craicon Fri 18-Aug-17 17:38:01

Sounds like a lazy Daily Mail journo looking for an angle...

grannyticktock Fri 18-Aug-17 17:38:21

Security questions like "What is your favourite food?" I may have set this up several years ago - why would I remember what my favourite food was on a particular day in 2013? My DD had to ring the notoriously clumsy Tax Credits service and said, "I 'm dreading this because I know they'll insist on asking about my hamster, or my memorable place, and I might get that bit wrong!"

I prefer it when they let you set your own security questions, or at least let you choose from a list and you can pick one with a definite, permanent, right/wrong answer.

NanaMacGeek Fri 18-Aug-17 21:32:24

The trouble is that, when you answer the security questions, you must remember that whatever your answer, it is case sensitive. So, not only must you remember your response to a question, but how you constructed it with upper case, spaces etc. I use a password manager and, in the notes section, always include the questions and answers exactly as I entered them. 6 Months later it is hard to remember whether you wrote Street or St. or St!

cyberguy Mon 21-Aug-17 22:59:38

Hi all, thanks for your answers so far! yes I was just wanting to get a bit of conversation going (spot on ninathenana!). You see I'm a pretty big computer geek having used them from a young age and I was just curious want kind of things grandparents struggle with that I find easy and maybe could make a course or program or something useful like that. I know a fair bit about computer security (an important area I think!) so I was particularly interested in major pain points relating to this? (passwords, privacy, online safety, viruses etc)

durhamjen Mon 21-Aug-17 23:08:43

I read somewhere that the man who told everybody to use different passwords has now changed his mind!
I didn't know men did that.

Jalima1108 Mon 21-Aug-17 23:29:38

Men don't change their minds djen, they have a re-think.

Anya Tue 22-Aug-17 06:53:57

Jalima grin

I recently had a new password sent to me by a train booking website. You know the typical one that goes something like HJ2uI35dC which I dutifully pasted into the password box and it was accepted.

Could I find anywhere onsite to change that to something more easily remembers? Could I hell! So will I have to go through that whole rigmarole every time ?

grannyticktock Tue 22-Aug-17 07:59:50

I also get annoyed at having to think up secure and complex passwords for innocuous websites such as a gardening forum. I am careful to have one-off passwords for banking, but I have to log on to all sorts of sites where my details couldn't possibly be of any use or interest to anyone else.

Anniebach Tue 22-Aug-17 08:46:14

Passwords and I don't understand computer speak and windows 10