Gransnet forums

Technology

What was the last thing you looked up?

(105 Posts)
grannyactivist Fri 29-Sep-17 16:52:41

Having access to a search engine has had a huge impact on my life. I research prospective tenants, look up how to do stuff, find out what's happening locally, check out recipes and inform myself about current events etc. Most days I look something up at least half a dozen times, probably more. I relish the immediacy of the response and the opportunity to 'compare and contrast' the range of information given. My last search was on stove fans - I saw a reference to them and had no idea what they are. I do now.
Over to you; what was the last thing you googled (other search engines are available). smile

GrandmaKT Fri 29-Sep-17 22:38:57

Register Office grin

paddyann Fri 29-Sep-17 22:49:11

the couriers number,he delivered two parcels while we were out and they're not for us

Auntieflo Sat 30-Sep-17 08:09:36

Grannyactivist, aren't they just beautiful. But, oh the price ?

Norah Sat 30-Sep-17 08:25:55

A different recipe for chicken.

travelsafar Sat 30-Sep-17 08:33:14

what events are on next month in my hometown

Calypso8 Sat 30-Sep-17 08:41:26

Pear recipes, have a pear tree and freeze them, bottle them ( very hard to get out of the jars ) and looking for other ideas ?

Baggs Sat 30-Sep-17 08:47:05

sit to rise

chicken Sat 30-Sep-17 08:53:11

Lipstains.

harrysgran Sat 30-Sep-17 09:00:02

Recipes using cooking apples I have rather a lot and don't like to see them go to waste

meandashy Sat 30-Sep-17 09:04:01

I googled an adventure park I'm taking did to next weekend to show her what we're going to be doing ?

Jaycee5 Sat 30-Sep-17 09:15:01

I have decided to redecorate my living room as it is probably now or never like the wallpaper (although I am just going to paint it rather than repaper). There is a colour called 'trench coat' that I like. There is textured paper with a wide and gaudy border along the middle so I have decided to stencil along it or it will look strange. I have never tried stencilling so I spent ages looking at the different patterns and deciding how to do it. I also had a look at footstools. I bought an orange chair on an impulse (must resist those) and I couldn't decide what colour sofa to buy when I can afford to and realised I was planning everything around my horrible wallpaper so I was looking at footstools so that I can bring a different coloured chair and sofa together.
I also looked up who played a part in a film for a competition answer and I often look up the spelling of words that I used to be able to spell without thinking about them.
I spend a lot of time online and would be bored without it.

Jaycee5 Sat 30-Sep-17 09:16:22

I missed a few words in the first sentence but I think it sort of makes sense. Bit tired this morning so not at my most lucid.

Kim19 Sat 30-Sep-17 09:28:56

Weather in Eindhoven.

tiredoldwoman Sat 30-Sep-17 09:37:32

How to get a dent out of a laminated door without having to replace the whole thing !

Rosina Sat 30-Sep-17 10:00:00

I've just googled the current fault with my car and been consoled to find that it's not much and easily fixed. What a relief! I look up anything and everything daily, and wonder how I ever did without it. When we first had the internet we were watching a programme with an actress who was familiar but we couldn't think who she was. In the ad break I googled the programme we were watching, clicked on her name, and - hey presto - there was a list of the programmes she had been in. The elusive actress had played Hazel, the governess, in Upstairs Downstairs. A tiny triumph but you know how irritating it can be.

Elegran Sat 30-Sep-17 10:03:41

Roasting radishes - I'd never heard of that. Wildswan may have started a GN trend.

AlexG Sat 30-Sep-17 10:11:13

How to apply for an Irish passport. My husband has an Irish father and it turns out he can apply for one but as his spouse I can't.

moobox Sat 30-Sep-17 10:11:52

"Hairy tufted sea urchin" - don't ask! In fact it will probably be disallowed by the respectability police, lol. Actually, someone had put a photo on a local site, which I thought might be exactly that and I was in the images section looking for similar creatures, not very successfully. I actually find clicking on image sin a search engine is often more useful than the text

TwiceAsNice Sat 30-Sep-17 10:14:34

How to open the petrol cap on my new car. Got to the petrol station to fill it up and couldn't open it no matter how I tried. Had to leave without with very red face. Apparently it is common with this type of car. Still struggle never manage it first time but getting better. However this means job I don't usually think about now stresses me out.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 30-Sep-17 10:17:29

Home insurance .I have been with the same company for twenty one years and was always satisfied with the amount of the premiums and quick service with two claims I made during this time.They are now taking advantage of my custom and my next payment is OTT.shock

Megram Sat 30-Sep-17 10:18:19

Recipe for mackerel !

W11girl Sat 30-Sep-17 10:19:31

How to remove nail polish staining from finger nails!!

ninathenana Sat 30-Sep-17 10:19:51

Apart from passing the time looking at Rightmove with a fantasy budget of 8k I can't remember, which is bad as I'm always checking/researching something via Google

ninathenana Sat 30-Sep-17 10:21:08

That should be 800k grin

durhamjen Sat 30-Sep-17 10:21:10

I remember having to look up how to reverse my car while sitting in a car park after we'd picked it up from the garage and gone shopping.
Neither of us could remember. You feel as if everyone's looking and laughing, don't you?