Gransnet forums

Technology

What apps would you recommend ?

(61 Posts)
NanKate Sat 25-Nov-17 08:11:14

I now realise how easy it is to download an app.

Today I downloaded BBC Sport asI discovered yesterday I could watch The Davis Cup live from here even though the BBC does not advertise this anywhere.

The National Trust is a good app to have too so that if you are on hols you can look up local places of interest to visit.

Over to you.

Sheilasue Sun 26-Nov-17 09:35:33

Have Rightmove, bbciplayer, ITV hub, Waitrose cooking magazines. Calm for relaxation and breathing. Facebook too. Looking for a few more.

Molly10 Sun 26-Nov-17 10:30:26

As a complete novice for the smart gadgets and apps I'm loving this thread.

Can you download all these apps to any smart gadget eg phone, pad or TV. What make of gadget do you all use and how do they fair too.

I'm sure I'll be sold to smart by the time this thread fills up. smile

sussexoldbag Sun 26-Nov-17 10:36:15

UK Weather,IMdB (full details of all TV series/films), Banking apps, Weight Watchers, BBC news, Lottery, Calendar, Which?

Juggernaut Sun 26-Nov-17 10:40:15

I bought myself an ipad Pro, (ios11) last month and several of the apps I had (and loved) on my old ipad won't run on it, so am feeling a bit miffed!
The Pro is brill though, I love it, but wish the app producers would catch up!

quizqueen Sun 26-Nov-17 10:42:04

Although I am online on my laptop for hours when at home, I have absolutely no interest in having a smart phone when out and about and feel I only need a basic phone for calling and texting. What's wrong with actually engaging with real people and asking them where to find certain things if you need to know anything when out and about or looking in a guide book if you are on holiday or planning things in advance!
I hate to see people constantly head down on their phone all the time. It seems they are losing the skills of how to engage in the real world. Yes, I'm sure it's nice for an app to be able to identify a bird's call, if that's what it does, but my friend can mimic and recognise any birdsong so I just ask him! My other friend has an amazing memory for dates (he's a very good member of our quiz team) and I really don't care where the nearest Lidl etc. is.

allule Sun 26-Nov-17 10:49:26

The only app I pay for is the Guardian which I read in bed, although we also have it delivered! I'm also trying the independent for a months trial, though think that will prove too much regularly.
Loads of free games apps, which I have splurges on. At the moment I'm enjoying Draw Something, Words with Friends, escape games, and the dreaded Candy Crush.
Smile bank, Ocado for our food, Zooplus for catfood, and the whole range of BBC apps.

dogsmother Sun 26-Nov-17 10:50:44

This is an excellent thread!
I love the word games, bbc sport and weather apps too.
I love banking on line now find much easier so have two of those. TripAdvisor, Spotify and mail online. Also Twitter, instagram and FB.
I do have tech savvy offspring that help me initially or I’d have had trouble I’m sure.

Pittcity Sun 26-Nov-17 10:54:07

Did anyone see Russell Kane on the Michael McIntyre show last night? He summed up smart phones perfectly. ...did we need to take encyclopedias, maps, torches, record and book collections with us when we went out in the past?
PS I love my step counter and the app to pay for local car parks.

schnackie Sun 26-Nov-17 11:09:55

Saving this thread!! Thank you lovely GNetters!

mostlyharmless Sun 26-Nov-17 11:28:25

Google Earth is amazing and very useful too.

Bathsheba Sun 26-Nov-17 11:47:12

did we need to take encyclopedias, maps, torches, record and book collections with us when we went out in the past
No, that's true, we didn't 'need' to, and we don't 'need' to now. But we can. And now if I pop in for a coffee anywhere on my own and don't have my book/Kindle with me, I can open the app on my phone and read. In the past I would have popped in somewhere and wasted money on a magazine.
I guess I also don't 'need' a food mixer or a soup maker or a steam mop or dozens of other things I've got in my house, but they are rather nice to have smile

Oh and to answer the OP - I am totally addicted to WordBrain, and my GC love all the pre-school games and educational apps I have for them.

Cubagran Sun 26-Nov-17 11:56:10

BBC Sport (to keep up with the rugby), BBC News, BBC weather, Kindle, Facebook, Solitaire, Kakuro, Flight radar (so I can identify planes overhead!), Mumsnet, Spotify, Shazam, CoPilot satnav, Amazon, a local taxi app. Some on phone and some on Kindle tablet.

Pittcity Sun 26-Nov-17 13:21:37

Bathsheba it was a joke!

jimmyRFU Sun 26-Nov-17 13:55:40

I use apps that are good for where I am on holiday.
Walking apps that record the route, length etc.
Calendar
Classic FM
Family history app.
There are so many out there, but I always make sure they are free before I use them.

Cambia Sun 26-Nov-17 14:00:20

Shopping List is my most used one. I use it for a to do list and to jot down what I need so whenever I find myself in a supermarket or in town, I know what I need!

Helen369 Sun 26-Nov-17 14:28:18

My favourite app. is Lifecake. Family members can view photos and videos of my little granddaughter and we can comment and add to them as we wish. They’re all chronologically stored and it’s a wonderful record of her life. So many of her relations live overseas and this makes them feel part of her life more.

Lona Sun 26-Nov-17 14:28:23

There's also a useful app called Toilet Finder, great for those of us who need to know where the nearest one is! ?

Diddy1 Sun 26-Nov-17 15:01:19

One of the best threads we have had for ages, thank you Nan Kate

Day6 Sun 26-Nov-17 15:25:13

WhatsApp, SkyScanner (for plane tracking and arrivals etc.) Trainline, BBC News, all the terrestrial TV apps, weather, maps, Sudoku, Solitaire, Jigsaws (for any moments I am waiting or on journeys) Amazon, Kindle, a bright torch, a pedometer, Pay Pal, Touchnote, and graphics and drawing apps on my PC.

mrswoo Sun 26-Nov-17 18:43:47

BBC iPlayer radio is really worth having. There’s a huge selection of documentaries - I’ve listened to some absolute gems while passing the time on Pinterest or doing a jigsaw. I’ve got a jigsaw app from Mobilityware - don’t know what the actual name of it is but it’s brilliant.

Crafting Sun 26-Nov-17 18:48:36

Toilet Finder .... there is an app for that!! Why didn't I know about it? I can't go more than 100 yards without needing one blush. Thanks Lona

Skyandblossom Sun 26-Nov-17 21:06:15

Besides the ones mentioned, I like Radioplayer (plays any radio channel), Amazon, Audible (plays audio books), and TopCashback.

mrsmopp Sun 26-Nov-17 23:01:12

Solitaire, Ancestry, Google earth, Crosswords, Codewords, Sudoku, Word Jewells, Words with Friends, and Kindle.
Oh and TV catchup. QVC.

NanKate Sun 26-Nov-17 23:07:34

I am happy Diddy1 that you and many others on this thread are enjoying seeing the apps we all use. I shall be adding a lot of them tomorrow to my IPad.

I like Sudoku and a Crossword app for when I am in a cafe on my own and need a little light entertainment ?

NanKate Mon 27-Nov-17 07:15:17

Thank you SkyandBlossom I have just set up Radioplayer and it is fab, I have just listed all my favourite stations. Very easy to navigate the site.