Gransnet forums

Technology

Facebook changes

(51 Posts)
NanKate Thu 19-Jul-18 07:53:01

I logged onto Facebook this morning and the whole format has changed to a less user friendly one. Has anyone who uses Facebook noticed this happening please ?

Blencathra Sun 22-Jul-18 07:07:55

I haven't noticed any change. I do get fed up with people telling me to respond and copy and paste because FB has changed so that you only see posts from people you generally communicate with- I see everyone's post - even if they only post once a year.

BlueBelle Sun 22-Jul-18 07:11:27

Pamela you obviously don’t have your privacy setting set up correctly because no one but who you choose should see your pictures so you should never get messages from strangers

Blencathra Sun 22-Jul-18 07:14:44

Make sure that no one can tag you without your permission.

NanKate Sun 22-Jul-18 07:37:25

Ok BlueBelle I will try to explain how Facebook looks now.

I log on and there is my photo and at the top of the page there is a horizontal list as follows.

Messages with 9+ after it. Then Requests, then conversations, then notifications, then the magnifying symbol, followed by the menu.

Sometimes under my photo there will be a whole lot of photos from different people/organisations I know, not just friends, such as a cinema where I used to live and springwatch.

So I can no longer select a friend and see what JUST she is saying, because I get a bit of everyone’s input.

If I tap on Menu I get just a list down the left hand side of just one or two words per line with say Apps I could download and don’t want.

So I no longer log on and see what I have been saying in the last week or so. That info must be buried somewhere in this mess.

I used to like when I was on a friend’s Fb that my photo was at the top of their page so I could get back to my page easily, that has now disappeared.

Does your FB front page look like this too ?

pollyperkins Sun 22-Jul-18 07:42:08

No. I don't think mine has changed recently. I'm burying my head in the sand and hoping it won't change. But I've had messenger for ages though I don't use it much. Useful for sending a private message to a fb friend if you dont have their email. For family though use Whatsapp these days.

NanKate Sun 22-Jul-18 07:46:15

Just found my messages under all the photos of all and sundry on the front page. There are now no boarders to the page so the comments etc look enormous. ?

NanKate Sun 22-Jul-18 08:08:29

Sorry it's me again wittering on. Just turned on my main computer to see that my Facebook page on here is the old format hurray !!!!!

Bathsheba Sun 22-Jul-18 08:14:32

I have messenger but I only really use it when I'm on facebook, to pm someone on a selling site for instance - my default messaging service is WhatsApp, which also has a free calls and video feature.

Anniebach Sun 22-Jul-18 08:34:24

Thank you BlueBell, found my groups, the town not evacuated ?. I have had messenger for two days, didn’t know about phoning on it.

BlueBelle Sun 22-Jul-18 11:39:44

Nankate please go into your privacy settings and set them to friends only You shouldn’t be getting other people’s photos you do get adverts and unfortunately but nothing else

Anniebach if you go into messenger and click on someone’s name a friendor relative that will be listed in the left hand column then you will see at the top right two icons a telephone and a video camera or at the bottom a box to write in Click on the telephone icon and you will be connected to your friend for a free WiFi call I make all my overseas calls this way my son has got rid of his landline as it’s not used
If you want to see each other click on the video icon or if you just want to message like this down to the writing box you can send private photos two but that’s tomorrow lesson ???

BlueBelle Sun 22-Jul-18 11:41:22

Ps the other person needs Have fb open when you ring and you can tell that by a green circle by their name left hand side of the screen
Give it a go

BlueBelle Sun 22-Jul-18 11:46:59

Nankate at the top of the daily newsfeed do you have your name , top right hand cornerish if so click on it and your private page will come up

Anniebach Sun 22-Jul-18 13:48:30

Thank you BlueBell, what fun I will have, just have a few friends who were on a private aol group, so much for so many years them trying to guess my Welsh accent, South, West, North ?

NanKate Sun 22-Jul-18 14:17:16

Thanks BlueBelle I found Privacy Settings in a different place from whete you suggested and changed Public to just Friends thanks. Surprisingly there are no adverts.

The new screen is very user unfriendly IMO..

glammanana Sun 22-Jul-18 14:45:45

Thanks everyone,I have only recently got my act together with FB thanks to DGS5.
After reading all the posts I now understand everything so much better thanks especially to Bluebelle for being so knowledgeable.

BlueBelle Sun 22-Jul-18 15:04:45

I m not really very technical but been on fb a long time and know my way round so do ask if you get muddled I might not know, but if I do I ll help xx

BlueBelle Sun 22-Jul-18 15:22:43

NanKate I can’t bear the old format now I ve been on this about six months or more and hate it if I go on a device with the old format on
If you go straight onto your picture you can avoid the main newsfeed completely
I think you ll gradually find t better as you work out different bits and pieces I think if you don’t go on much it will seem a big difference but I can hardly remember it as it was

NanKate Sun 22-Jul-18 17:33:01

Hello BlueBelle glad FB is working for you. Can you confirm you have the front page like me with all the icons at the top and you select where you want to go.

I like the old format where friends are to the left and I can click on them quickly and see what has been happening in their lives.

Somewhere on this new FB page I get comments from one friend and then underneath from another friend and so on, so I am getting a mix of comments. Is it like that on yours ?

I promise I will stop moaning once I am into it more.

BlueBelle Sun 22-Jul-18 18:30:31

No Nankate my icons are at the bottom first there is a square which is the general newsfeed , second two people which is friend request third another square entitled watch which is just things fb think you might be interested in so I don’t look at that next is a house and that a selling site called a Marketplace and last a bell which is for notifications alerting you to friends posts etc lastly three little lines with more under it that’s where you find all your groups etc
On the top I just have the search box then to the right the circle for messenger then my little picture then my name last is a ^ which is where you find your privacy settings etc

Madgran77 Sun 22-Jul-18 18:40:51

FB on my computer is fine but the format on my phone has changed completely and I cant post, save, check notifications or use messenger. Really annoying!

NanKate Sun 22-Jul-18 18:47:20

I suspect BlueBelle we have very different configurations and they are trying them out. I somehow got a request from them for feedback and I told why I hated it so much. Whether they read my feedback is debatable.

NanKate Sun 22-Jul-18 18:48:42

Would it be difficult to post on here a photo of what yours looks like without divulging your name BlueBelle ? I suspect it would be tricky.

BlueBelle Sun 22-Jul-18 19:09:33

I was going to do that but I think it would show my name and pic which I don’t want to do I ll see if I can edit the top bit off
I take it on your laptop you have the old format with the things all down the left side
I ll see what I can do

BlueBelle Sun 22-Jul-18 19:19:59

This is my bottom bit if it comes out in the pic

NanKate Sun 22-Jul-18 20:11:22

Thank you so much BlueBell for finding the time to do this. It is similar to what I have at the top of my page on both my IPads. My main computer has stayed the same, thank goodness. ??