Gransnet forums

Technology

iPads and computers

(47 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 04-Jan-19 09:14:51

Saw the physiotherapist yesterday , am using iPad far to much , hands badly twisted.

I love my iPad hate my lap top, don’t like windows10 .

I enjoy all the word games on my iPad.

What can I do? Is there something that would give me what I get from my iPad ?

jusnoneed Fri 04-Jan-19 09:42:29

Is it just the holding it that causes you trouble Anniebach? Google ibeani tablet stand, it is a small beanbag cushion that you can prop the ipad on.
There are other stands available too.

Anniebach Fri 04-Jan-19 10:40:27

Thank you jusnoneed, I have tried those, it’s the hours of stabbing at the screen which has caused my hand to become twisted, I have arthritis!

Karanlouise Fri 04-Jan-19 11:48:37

Have you tried using a stylus, that might help with some of the hand movements.

MrsJamJam Fri 04-Jan-19 11:53:04

My Samsung tablet does not need any pressure on the screen. Also agree that trying a stylus might help.

Anniebach Fri 04-Jan-19 12:10:23

I phoned Curry’s , seem an Apple Mac air is the answer, can use a mouse, save all on my iPad to it, needs a lot of thought , thank you all x

Being stuck in the house all the time and living alone my iPad is my only companion.

NotAGran55 Fri 04-Jan-19 12:19:42

Could you use your other hand Annie ? Or are they both affected ?

Anniebach Fri 04-Jan-19 12:23:56

Both affected NotAGran. I am left handed and three fingers on left hand curved down into palm of hand , right hand the fingers are starting to curve in, hence the warning from the physiotherapist.

Anniebach Fri 04-Jan-19 12:25:08

And Siri doesn’t like Welsh accents ?

MiniMoon Fri 04-Jan-19 13:31:34

Is it certain that it is arthritis that is causing your fingers to curl Annie? Or could it be Dupuytrens contracture? If it's the latter it can be fixed by injection or operation to release the ligaments.
I'm asking because I have the latter. Not severe yet but watch this space.?

Anniebach Fri 04-Jan-19 13:37:38

MiniMoon it’s what the GP and two physiotherapists say , hope you will resolve your problem x

NanaMacGeek Fri 04-Jan-19 21:44:13

Hi Annie, I am dictating this on my iPad. It takes a bit of getting used to, it is the first time I have tried it. It may be worth trying. You would not have to touch the screen so often. Go to iPad settings, general, enable dictation.

ipadinsight.com/ipad-tips-tricks/ipad-voice-dictation-commands-list-tips/

Anniebach Fri 04-Jan-19 22:02:50

Hi NanaMacGeek, I haven’t got that choice, I do have Siri, is this the same ?

NanaMacGeek Fri 04-Jan-19 22:15:47

Sorry, so busy trying to dictate, I didn't give you the right 'path' to turn on dictation. You need to go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Enable Dictation.

When you turn this on, you should see a 'microphone' symbol on your 'on screen' keyboard. You need to tap it to turn it on and tap the keyboard symbol to stop it. It's not easy to start with but it does work. It needs a bit of practice. Don't forget to call a full stop a period (Apple expect you to be American).

NanaMacGeek Fri 04-Jan-19 22:26:28

Annie, you asked about Siri. Siri is an artificially intelligent assistant you can enable with the iPad. Siri can carry out your voice instructions, again another way of helping to communicate with mainly your voice rather than your hands. Here is another link about Siri:-
www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-siri-on-the-ipad-1994504

Is there anyone you know who could help you to try and set Siri up and use her?

jusnoneed Fri 04-Jan-19 22:29:02

Now I am on my iPad I just found something called assistive touch which says it helps if you have difficulty using touch screen. Go to Settings, General, Accessibility and look down the list to Assistive Touch. Don't know how it works but may be worth a look.

Anniebach Fri 04-Jan-19 22:38:05

Thank you jusoneed there is much there, some things would help with low vision. I shall try them all tomorrow

NanaMacGeek Fri 04-Jan-19 22:39:00

Siri can learn how to deal with a Welsh accent, she'll need a lot of 'training' though!

Anniebach Fri 04-Jan-19 22:39:58

NanaMacGeek, thank you, I have Siri, will read your link

Anniebach Sat 05-Jan-19 09:19:43

Wondering if I should but an Apple Mac

NanaMacGeek Sat 05-Jan-19 17:40:05

Annie, I remember you have asked about a Chromebook in the past as well as disliking Microsoft Windows 10. I'm not sure that trying different operating systems is going to help you. You could buy a separate keyboard to go with your iPad and you would, for most purposes, have the equivalent of a Mac. (Mac aficionados, please don't tell me the difference, I do know).

Do you think using a keyboard will help your hands? Have you tried 'splitting' the virtual keyboard on your iPad and just using your thumbs, would that help?

Before spending any more money, if I were you, I would try and get some help either by phone or through a home visit, a quick 'Google' brought up the following:-
www.abilitynet.org.uk/find-abilitynet-volunteer

It may be better to come to terms with Windows 10 and add some additional software that would make dictation simpler. These are just my thoughts for what they are worth.

Anniebach Sat 05-Jan-19 17:51:41

NanaMacGeek how kind , thank you. The decision has been taken out of my hands, younger daughter bought a Mac for and son in law has gone to pick it up, I am sorry you have gone to trouble for me , so kind of you. I admit I am apprehensive about the Mac, had decided to take my time deciding. Again, thank you x

Pittcity Sat 05-Jan-19 22:08:29

My android types by swiping the keyboard rather than jabbing each letter. Easy to do with one finger or a stylus. Don't know if it's available on iPad.
Voice control is the way to go.
Currys will advise you to spend money.
Do you have a friendly teenager that you can ask? Mine are the fount of all knowledge about information technology.

NanaMacGeek Sat 05-Jan-19 22:59:09

Don't worry, Anniebach, it's no trouble to me at all, I enjoy looking up stuff and use knowledge gained to help my own 'customers' (I'm a volunteer supporting people who struggle with their IT). Good luck with the Mac.

Pittcity, a swipe keyboard might have been a good idea. There are a couple of keyboard apps available from the Apple iPad app store although I haven't tried them. I've used the swipe facility on my Android phone keyboard. It may be worth experimenting with although Anniebach is now trying a Mac.

cornergran Sat 05-Jan-19 23:52:07

annie I use an iPad and an iMac after many. many years of windows products. It does take time to adjust to an iMac operating system, or perhaps I should say it took me time! I love it now. Fast and intuitive. The iMac and the iPad ‘talk’ to each other, I have no idea how and don’t need to know. Photos appear on both as do emails and documents, even text messages now I’ve looked up the settings to use. If you struggle with anything do use the Apple helpline. I find the people there patient, understanding of non technical folk and unfailingly kind and helpful. It’s worth persevering, your computer is your link to the world, important you can access what you want to without damaging your health. You can do it! smile.