Gransnet forums

Technology

iPads and computers

(48 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 04-Jan-19 09:14:51

Saw the physiotherapist yesterday , am using iPad far to much , hands badly twisted.

I love my iPad hate my lap top, don’t like windows10 .

I enjoy all the word games on my iPad.

What can I do? Is there something that would give me what I get from my iPad ?

Auntieflo Sun 06-Jan-19 08:50:05

Hi, Thank (unanimity) you NanaMcGeek
(That’s you by the way, when I dictated).
Takes some getting used to, but fun trying.
AnnieB, hope you are managing with your new Mac Air, but sorry to hear that you have trouble with your hands.
I have learned how to use dictation today, and a couple of days ago, learned that you can slow down YouTube videos.
Gransnet is wonderful.

Anniebach Sun 06-Jan-19 09:00:53

The Mac was delivered yesterday , I was too nervous to open it ! Will be brave and get it out of the box today, I love my iPad. On it about ten hours a day.

Thank you all for your advice x

NanaMacGeek Sun 06-Jan-19 11:57:15

Anniebach, the first thing to do is make sure you have your passwords ready, wiFi password, AppleID (your registered email address) and your Apple (iCloud) password. I can't remember if you need to put in a password for your Mac or not but it would be useful to have one ready if you need it. Don't ever lose your Apple credentials, Apple have tightened up their security.

Apple support are very good indeed if you get stuck. Fingers crossed for you.

Auntieflo, fun isn’t it! I didn't know about slowing YouTube videos either.

NotAGran55 Mon 07-Jan-19 08:36:24

Good luck Annie x Please tell us how you get on .

Anniebach Mon 07-Jan-19 08:44:50

Thank you x

Got in a muddle yesterday with passwords, think I have them sorted now.

Tried to get email on the Mac, kept asking for a second email address incase I get locked out , what ever that means, I haven’t a second email address , have had the same for about 15 years and want to keep it . Help please

Pittcity Mon 07-Jan-19 08:52:41

Give it the email address of a family member who you can ring in case of problems (check with them first).
Alternatively you can set up a Gmail address just as a precaution, you need never use it.

NanaMacGeek Mon 07-Jan-19 09:09:47

Set up another email account. You live alone, I think, you don't want to be phoning someone else to ask them what passcode you have been sent to enter to enable you to view your account.

A second email account can be quite useful, I use my second one for notifications from busy sites, I just delete most of them and it keeps my main email less cluttered. If you set up a second email, you will need to use it sometimes as it will be shut down if you don't. Use a different password too.

You can add your second email account to your Mac Mail application so you can see both accounts.

Anniebach Mon 07-Jan-19 09:18:43

Now i feel really stupid.i can just choose another email account and not have to use it ? duh, always said I am not the brightest coin in the mint.

Thank you so much x

NanaMacGeek Mon 07-Jan-19 09:37:03

A 'rescue' email address is used as another layer of security. In order to see your rescue email, you will have set up another account with a password that only you know. Apple are very serious about security, you will find that they are very strict.

Anniebach Mon 07-Jan-19 10:59:34

Thank you x

jusnoneed Mon 07-Jan-19 12:42:06

I had to have a second email for something a while back and opened a Yahoo one. Found their layout nice to use so now have nearly all my stuff on it and only one or two things on the old one. Handy if you switch BB provider too as you don't have to alter the Yahoo one.

Anniebach Mon 07-Jan-19 14:27:03

Thank you so much x

NotAGran55 Tue 15-Jan-19 19:50:33

How are you getting on with your new laptop Annie ?

Anniebach Tue 15-Jan-19 20:03:34

*NotAGran, I love it , had no idea how to get started but had support and advice from a lovely lady here. Today I did some work on my family tree on it, so much easier to read after using the iPad, and no Windows 10, bliss. Thank you

GrannyGravy13 Tue 15-Jan-19 20:21:44

Just found this thread Anniebach, pleased you have sorted your problems. I am a complete technophobe, you seem to be flying with your mac x

Anniebach Tue 15-Jan-19 20:47:56

GrannyGravy, I assure you I had to have much help and advice. The Mac is so like the iPad , but bigger ?

dragonfly46 Tue 15-Jan-19 20:54:57

We are all Apple in our house and we love them I wish you lots of success with your new laptop Annie

Anniebach Tue 15-Jan-19 20:57:41

Thank you dragonfly, . Been thinking of you x

dragonfly46 Tue 15-Jan-19 21:38:21

Thank you Annie x

Anniebach Tue 15-Jan-19 21:44:33

Hugs x

NotAGran55 Sun 20-Jan-19 20:12:10

Only just catching up . That’s great to read Annie x

Anniebach Sun 20-Jan-19 20:23:34

Siri doesn’t work well with a Welsh accent can’t think why

Llanddwrog - Siri heard Can do no wrong !

Perhaps elocution lessons !