Gransnet forums

Technology

Do you use a Mobile Banking App on your phone.

(48 Posts)
bikergran Sat 11-Jan-20 13:03:17

I keep thinking of putting app on my phone.

At the moment I use laptop, log in put security number in. press my little calculator thingy, etc etc all seems long winded these days.

I sometimes transfer bit of money to dd.
But can only do it when I'm home near the laptop.

There's many a time I need to do it when I'm out n about but always have to wait until I get home.

I suppose its about security, but doing from laptop probably still has its risks. hmm

Humbertbear Sun 12-Jan-20 08:50:12

I use online banking for two different banks and also my credit card. Never had any problems,

Pittcity Sun 12-Jan-20 09:06:55

I love them. Fingerprint security. They can also offer extra security when logging on using other devices. I can generate a code on my app and use it when logging on using the laptop...a double check that it really is you.

roumblaser Thu 19-Mar-20 22:55:12

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Marelli Thu 19-Mar-20 23:20:08

Reported

ElaineI Fri 20-Mar-20 00:03:09

Never had a problem. Use Nationwide and RBS and very useful to be able to do this.

Pittcity Sun 26-Apr-20 09:13:51

Much more useful than ever now. My banks have updated their apps so you can pay in cheques by simply taking a photo. This eliminates my need to visit a branch completely.

Missedout Sun 26-Apr-20 09:53:33

I notice there are two levels of security on my banking apps. I am unable to set up new payees using the app on my mobile phone, although I can pay anyone from a dropdown list of payees that I've already set up.

However, I can't create a new payee from my phone app, I have to set that up using a card reader having logged on to a desktop site with the stricter security measures. I also get a text message to say a new payee has been set up.

There are also payment amount restrictions using mobile phone apps that are not on desktop sites.

I'm not sure about limits on contactless payments using a mobile phone. I haven't checked that although I've started using it. It's not much different from using a contactless debit card, without the paper receipts.

The other benefit of mobile phone banking apps is that you can see your account totals and transactions at any time. A quick check can provide reassurance and it is also simple to block your card if you think it has been compromised.

Pittcity Sun 26-Apr-20 10:02:55

I use Google Pay for contactless payment using my phone. There is no contactless limit unless you set a limit. But you are asked to enter PIN or fingerprint on your phone when paying if it is over the £45 contactless card limit.
I use it as it means I don't have to touch a PIN pad that others have used.

Katyj Sun 26-Apr-20 15:29:49

Biker gran is it First Direct I’ve recently downloaded the app and it does only ask for one password now,I was surprised it doesn’t seem enough somehow.

Pittcity Sun 26-Apr-20 15:48:20

Katyj they only ask for one password on that device because they have checked it out and you have to unlock the device before it can be used. Other people can't access it on other devices without extra security.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 26-Apr-20 15:57:28

Yes I’ve banked on line and with the app for years. Makes life so much easier.

Katyj Sun 26-Apr-20 18:44:40

Pittcity .Thank you for clearing that up I understand now, it’ll feel much safer.

Tangerine Sun 26-Apr-20 21:46:02

I have a banking app on my phone and find it most useful.

Try it and see. If you don't like it, I am sure you can remove it or just stop using it.

crazyH Sun 26-Apr-20 21:48:01

Yes, very, very useful to have a Banking App on your phone.

Luckygirl Sun 26-Apr-20 22:04:28

I have never used a phone banking app as my OH was so anxious about payment security on the laptop - he had belt and braces and a bit of string security. I am not sure how a phone app can be secure. My DD does her Tesco shop and banking on her phone, but I do not understand how it is secure without the relevant security software.

Could someone please explain how the fingerprint security works?

newnanny Mon 27-Apr-20 03:31:08

Yes and I find it saves me from having to go into my branch. I use it all the time.

tanith Mon 27-Apr-20 07:12:29

Luckygirl I can’t explain how it’s secure because I’m a bit of a numpty? but I’ve been using it since it came out also using my phone to pay at Tesco and in shops and I’ve never had a problem. My family all do the same without problem.

Pittcity Mon 27-Apr-20 08:52:16

I can't explain the security but it's easy to see how much safer it is than posting a cheque or carrying cash.

Txquiltz Mon 27-Apr-20 08:57:46

I have used this for about 5 years with no problems. It also keeps great records for reference in the future.

Missedout Mon 27-Apr-20 10:52:42

Have a look at this link:-
www.money.co.uk/current-accounts/is-banking-on-your-smart-phone-safe.htm

jeanie99 Sat 02-May-20 03:09:30

I have always used the laptop to do our banking.
When we opened a new account we were introduced to mobile banking by the assistant.
I informed her I used my laptop for the banking but she said it is very good if you need to move money when you are out and about so I agreed to the app and she put it on my phone.
What she didn't say was that I couldn't use my laptop for internet banking at home also.
This caused no end of a problem and took us some weeks before this came to light.

bikergran Sat 02-May-20 08:29:18

Katyj soz didnt see your post, no its, not First Direct.

But I did download the app. its wonderful as when dd wants a little money to tied her over, its so easy to transfer money instead of waiting till I get home, logging on laptop etc.

The security is just one step which I found odd as its quite a few more steps on laptop.

But it is so easy and mobile smile