Gransnet forums

Technology

How to unsubscribe

(28 Posts)
Teetime Sun 16-Aug-20 11:47:05

Can anyone tell me how I can unsubscribe from this site please I cannot find how to do it. Its all got too depressing for me.

Toadinthehole Sun 16-Aug-20 11:55:16

Aww, don’t go...just have some time off! Put GN in a drawer for a while, and bring it out when you’re ready?. I know what you mean, it’s been a strange year full of upheaval, and many of us feel totally deflated. Perhaps just ‘ lurk’ for a while, which is what I did before venturing out into posting, or just look at the funny ones, like the one running at the moment where people are sharing funny things they’ve overheard?. Perhaps we could start our own! If you still want to leave.... I think you have to email GN direct. All the best whatever you decide?

tanith Sun 16-Aug-20 11:58:43

That’s a shame could you do as Toadintheholesuggests. If not at the bottom of the page go to ‘My Gransnet’ it will take to your settings where you can delete your acc.

MawB Sun 16-Aug-20 11:58:56

You could ask FH or Jura -or alternatively write a post that GNHQ disapproves of! ????
Seriously, though at the bottom there is a “deregister” option.
But why go?
If it is depressing you, and we can most of us sympathise, why not stay and add your voice to those of us who can remember the good old days of GN?
At least give it some thought.

Teetime Sun 16-Aug-20 12:12:44

Ok thank you all I will do as you suggest. I'm just having a bad few days with Arthur and its making me grumpy. smile

BlueBelle Sun 16-Aug-20 12:55:09

Whose Arthur ?
I m intrigued now ?

ExD Sun 16-Aug-20 13:02:20

Me too. I hope Arthur improves, whoever he is. (hugs)
I do take a break from time to time, but GsN is addictive and I cannot stop commenting whenever I read the posts.
Just don't open the page for a few weeks.

Peardrop50 Sun 16-Aug-20 13:25:19

MawB, I have been a member for about three, maybe four years.

What is different now from the 'good old days'?

This is a serious question. Has it become more aggressive? Has it become less sympathetic? More argumentative? Less cultured? Less amusing? More boring?

Personally I enjoy most of it. Especially the more light hearted threads, the information gleaned from others on practical matters, interesting viewpoints on a variety of subjects and the lovely sympathy shown to those in distress. I love political debate but not on Gransnet as there are just a few pretty angry posters who tend to hijack every thread.

I also often feel down hearted when a poster is having marital problems and the consensus seems to be 'dump him and run' rather than suggestions of how to overcome problems and be happy together.

The posts from those who have been widowed are so very sad, I don't comment often because it feels intrusive when I have no experience but I do learn a lot from your experience and it helps me to appreciate what I have. So I thank you all for that.

Hopefully Teetime you can be persuaded to stay as I have noticed your name from time to time and feel that you have a valuable contribution to make.

Peardrop50 Sun 16-Aug-20 13:27:00

PS Teetime. Who is Arthur? We are all intrigued.

tanith Sun 16-Aug-20 13:54:48

If she has the same ‘Arthur’ as me he plays havoc with ones joints ?

janeainsworth Sun 16-Aug-20 14:04:56

Teetime I’m glad you’ve been persuaded to stay.
Yours is one of the increasingly few names I’m pleased to see attached to a postsmile

janeainsworth Sun 16-Aug-20 14:11:12

Peardrop I think in the ‘old’ days, possibly pre-Brexit, there were more non-political, but interesting subjects up for discussion and there was more reasoned debate.
It now seems much more polarised with ‘haters’ on both sides.
I agree with you about the threads which advise ‘dump him and run’ & I think too often, posters respond to someone’s problem by merely describing their own experience, whether or not it’s helpful or even relevant to the OP.

MawB Sun 16-Aug-20 14:18:36

Peardrops
Arthur-itis.

“Good old days” ?
Going back to when I first became a Gran and joined GN shortly after (2011?) my impression was of genuine wit, lively discussion, some wonderful virtual parties, excellent advice, unfailing kindness and a good laugh from posters such as Jeni, absent, Ariadne,Penstemmon, Gadaboutgran, JessM, MiceElf, Annodomini, kittylester, glitabo, whenim64, iam64, Jingl (of sainted memory) Greatnan (RIP) soop and others - now some of these are still with us, but many others have left because they lost patience with the bickering and tedium which has characterised so many threads nowadays. I think it goes back to Brexit, or maybe the Scottish Referendum debate or the GE, but there has been a frequent SOH bypass and much more adversarial “discussion”. Tempers flare up all too readily and the insults fly from the fingers of the keyboard warriors.
There have also been the nameless ones who have tried our patience with threads about their dog Andy, or onesies and daps (quite funny until some of us found ourselves in the norty corner for mentioning billy goats) Some frankly ridiculous family sagas did and continue to try our credibility but HQ are insistent and there are still scenarios which are the same old, same old and abuse the genuine sympathy they engender.
It’s easy to be nostalgic - but that’s what I had in mind.

MawB Sun 16-Aug-20 14:19:44

Oops missed janeainsworth and elegran - reasoned and wise as always.

janeainsworth Sun 16-Aug-20 14:36:24

Maw smile
Good analysis.

FarNorth Sun 16-Aug-20 14:38:59

Glad to hear you're staying, Teetime.
I sometimes don't look at GN for a week or so. Not because I'm annoyed about anything in particular, just to have a rest from it.
All the best sunshine

Grannybags Sun 16-Aug-20 14:46:34

Good post Maw

I've been a member since 2011 and although I don't post much have managed to be deleted a few times by commenting on the 'wind up' threads (probably will be again now!)

I think it sums it up when posters feel they have to add 'light hearted' after their post title these days

Puzzler61 Sun 16-Aug-20 14:49:27

Good post Peardrop and lots of reasons not to pull the plug
- just take a rest ?

Parsley3 Sun 16-Aug-20 14:53:21

I have been a member for several years now and I agree with Maw about the same old scenarios, so threads are not all that different.
However, I do recognise that I am not finding the threads interesting and I can’t be bothered to even look at some of them.
In the end I concluded that the change was in me. I have had enough of Covid19 and I can’t see an end to it. In short, it is bringing me down and I don’t think I am alone. I see Covid fatigue elsewhere too. All the witty cartoons I received on my WhatsApp groups have dried up and hardly anyone bothers to post anymore. We live in interesting times.

Peardrop50 Sun 16-Aug-20 15:54:23

Teetime, sorry to hear about your problems with Arthur, not surprised you're feeling grumpy today but glad you're not leaving. Tanith hope your Arthur is behaving today.
MawB thanks for answering, it does seem the old days of GN were gentler, I will do my best to be one that tries to turn the GN clock back a bit. Starting now.
JeanAinsworth thanks for your explanation too.
Parsley I agree, covid overload, depressing.

LadyBella Sat 16-Jan-21 20:42:21

This is an old thread I know but how on earth do I unsubscribe? Just need a break for a while.

FannyCornforth Sat 16-Jan-21 21:07:28

LadyBella
Menu - my Gransnet - my account - deregister

That should do it.
Why don't you just not log in for a while instead?
Hope you are okay thanks

Sparkling Mon 18-Jan-21 07:15:03

You can choose not contribute or look at those posts that depress you. Make posts that you think interesting and see what happens. Go to bottom of the page and click on Gransnet and unsubscribe. It's what you make it really.

LadyBella Mon 18-Jan-21 16:01:25

There is nowhere on My Gransnet to unsubscribe. Only to LogIn?

BlueBelle Mon 18-Jan-21 16:16:59

Ask HQ they ll remove you