Gransnet forums

Technology

Fuddy Duddy GrandMa Phone

(30 Posts)
ExD Wed 19-Aug-20 18:07:32

I love my laptop and my tablet but I've never got into using a mobile phone, apart from still having a Pay as You Go thing from a supermarket. I'm with Virgin.
As I only use it to send the odd text or to phone someone in an emergency I haven't seen the point in shelling out for a contract when I make so little use of it.
Yesterday I attended the hospital for my routine eye injection, and as I cannot drive after my treatment, when it was all over and I needed DH to come and collect me I found my Virgin network was 'down'.
The hospital receptionist wouldn't let me use the hospital phone (which surprised me) so I was lost and a bit scared - as there was no Pay-Phone (which again surprised me).
A nice Security person allowed me to use his, and I was duly collected, but am properly pi**ed off with Virgin and am not sure how to contact them as my mobile is still not working.
Can anyone help?
I've switched it off then back on again, and I've removed the sim card and replaced it - what next?
And after that, how do I change providers without changing my number? I feel let down that on one of the few times I needed it, it wasn't up to scratch.

Fennel Tue 01-Sep-20 19:11:57

ExD - I share your frustration with mobile phones. I'm older than you (84).
I have one and husband has programmed it to an easy method to switch on and off and contact him if I'm out and need help.
I've no idea how it's paid for.
I still have all phone contacts on landline and others email.

clydeschu2007 Wed 02-Sep-20 17:22:11

clydeschu2007

I searched to see if Virgin Phone Shops were open, and find they are merging with another company so will not open again.

You won't need to contact your old provider again.
audacity.vip blender.onl gimp.cc

kjmpde Sun 06-Sep-20 15:07:16

i have a basic phone on PAYG with 3. I have to use it once every 100 days or so to ensure it is still connected - i just ring the home number and end the call before it connects. I too have no desire to be on a contract but unlike others I do not know how to text etc. I need to find an easy to operate smart phone but have no idea what make - maybe another post for recommendaitons.

Lolo81 Sun 06-Sep-20 17:01:34

We got my dad a Huawei phone for his Christmas and he had never used a smart phone in his life. He loves it. OP - you say you have a tablet. A smartphone will basically work in the same way as your tablet, and will have additional icons for phoning and texting. If you can maybe pop into the Vodafone store (I’ve found them a great help) and explain your dilemma - I’m sure they’ll help you out.