Gransnet forums

Technology

SatNav on phone

(34 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 08-Oct-20 19:23:19

I would like to use my phone as a satnav, but I cannot find out how to do it with the voice directions. I do not want to be having to look at he phone screen while driving!

Any advice please?

Beechnut Mon 12-Oct-20 12:20:25

I had a fiddle with my car and phone but wasn’t successful in setting up. I was chatting to my daughter and she said she’d just figured out to do it so I will get her to help me out with it.

Atqui Mon 12-Oct-20 12:40:06

Try WAZE

MiniMoon Mon 12-Oct-20 14:07:10

We have just bought a new car. It has a special little compartment next to the phone socket so that you don't need to rest your phone anywhere.
I use Google maps whenever we go on a journey to somewhere unfamiliar.

I'm also looking at the Android Auto app, but I think that uses a lot of data.

Aneweye Sat 17-Oct-20 21:18:48

I switched the Waze, great functions.

Spangler Sat 17-Oct-20 21:26:37

You should make sure that you have some gizmo or other that allows you to communicate with your phone. Drivers who are caught touching their phones for even the briefest moments while driving will soon be convicted as new HD cameras are trialled.

An urgent review has been called by transport secretary Grant Shapps to tighten a loophole which allows motorists caught with their hands on their phones to avoid punishment.

At the moment police have to catch those behind the wheel calling, texting or engrossed in some other kind of 'interactive communication' to bring a successful charge, Birmingham Mail reported.

The issue was brought to light earlier this year when Ramsey Barreto successfully appealed a conviction he received for filming the scene of a crash while driving.

His lawyers argued UK laws only forbade driving while communicating on a phone, not simply holding a mobile.

The Department for Transport is working to close the loophole so anyone spotted texting, taking photos, browsing the internet, scrolling through a music playlist, setting the satnav or doing anything else on their phone behind the wheel can be prosecuted.

sneazzy95 Sun 22-Nov-20 14:47:21

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Franbern Wed 06-Jan-21 18:10:27

My phone now joins up to my in-car Alexa device, so can give instruction verbally to it

chelseababy Wed 06-Jan-21 18:27:03

Check whether it is legal to use a phone sat nav while driving that is not in a cradle.