Gransnet forums

Technology

Phone running out of storage space.

(36 Posts)
Nadateturbe Thu 03-Dec-20 08:53:12

I'm not sure if anyone can help with this but here goes.
I have a Samsung J3 2016. Great little phone, but it's running out of memory. I have an SD card and I save photos and videos to that and also transferred messenger. Phone keeps telling me to delete unused applications to free up space. But how do I know which ones to delete? When I try to do so I get a message that this may affect operation of some functions.
My OH has the same problem and now his Whatsapp won't work as he can't download the update.
Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do? Would it be easier just to get a new phone.
Thanks for reading. I hope I've explained it clearly.

inishowen Sat 05-Dec-20 11:02:24

I had the same problem. My daughter helped me go through it and we deleted all the videos my granddaughter had put on. Problem solved.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 05-Dec-20 11:09:51

I subscribe to Know-How (Pc world- Currys). It costs around £70 per year. They save me a fortune those technicians. They 'got into' my Macbook which wasn't working well, it took quite a while as I watched things flitting on my screen. It's now only half full. Its a phone in service, it's usually a clear speaking technician at the other end - I can't speak highly enough about their service!! One of the numbers is 08000121909. Good Luck!!

Greciangirl Sat 05-Dec-20 11:21:35

I have the same problem on my IPad.

It won’t update the software until I delete some apps etc.
I have deleted apps and messages but still no update.
I don’t understand enough to mess around with it.

pce612 Sat 05-Dec-20 11:21:37

Move all of your photos etc onto a pen drive or your computer. Should free up a lot of space.

25Avalon Sat 05-Dec-20 11:24:06

You could get a photo stick which will store all your photos and videos, delete duplicates and store in date order. You can get ones that upload from your phone and your computer. The cheapest option is to upload your photos from your phone to your computer and buy the photo stick that just uploads and stores from your computer so it is backed up.They cost about £30 so could make a nice Christmas present. I am going to ask dd to get me one, probably The Photostick which has good reviews.

maddyone Sat 05-Dec-20 12:41:07

Can up you save your photos and videos to the cloud?

lynx Sat 05-Dec-20 13:27:52

I have the same problem with my J3 2016 so thank you all for your suggestions! And to the o p for putting the question!

Knittynatter Sun 06-Dec-20 08:21:50

Why don’t you print out your favourite photos? I’m guilty of hording photos on my phone but they never really get looked at so I make an effort every month to print out my favourite ones and delete the others. Modern technology is amazing but a printed picture is a joy! The apps I use are FreePrints and Photobooks - others are available.

Sashabel Sun 06-Dec-20 10:08:43

I've also got the Samsung J3 and have disabled the following with absolutely no detrimental effect on my phone -
Dictionary
Duo
Excel
Google Play Movies
Google Play Music
One Drive
Power Point
You Tube

In addition, if you go to "Device Care" in your settings and you can free up some space under the "Memory" button. Also take the opportunity to Optimise your phone and check on the security

nadateturbei Mon 07-Dec-20 12:09:53

Greciangirl I deleted facebook on OH phone did updates on wharsaipp, then reinstalled FB. You need to delete something that uses a lot of mbytes.
Thanks Sashabel and everyone else.So many useful tips. Will also look at clean Master.
SD cards are good and easy. But older phones won't let you move so much to a card.