Gransnet forums

Technology

Recommendations please for wireless headphones/ear buds

(24 Posts)
NotTooOld Mon 15-Mar-21 22:45:50

Thanks, shysal. I've just had a look at that link. Seems it is possible but you must still have your ordinary earbuds plugged in as well to act as an aerial. It's all so complicated!

shysal Sun 14-Mar-21 09:14:38

This is the information I was using.
webeenow.com/how-to-listen-to-the-fm-radio-with-wireless-headphones-on-an-android-mobile/

shysal Sun 14-Mar-21 07:40:35

NotTooOld I suggest you look on line to check whether your phone radio will work with wireless earbuds. Mine is a Samsung A20e and needs a wired earphone plugged in to act as a radio antenna (see my first post above).

NotTooOld Sat 13-Mar-21 21:38:14

Useful thread! My phone is a Samsung J3. I would like to listen to Radio 4 and perhaps other things whilst out walking. Can anyone recommend some wireless earthingies, please, and tell me how they work, if possible? I don't want to spend megabucks.

Jaxjacky Sat 13-Mar-21 21:33:40

hilarious for me, I enjoy listening to music, or gardeners question time, or a book when I’m out on my daily walk. It seems rather antisocial to do that in the l room with my husband.

Lewie Sat 13-Mar-21 20:45:10

Have a look on Amazon- there are loads to choose from.

Lewie Sat 13-Mar-21 20:44:06

I’ve used blue tooth ear pods for some while to listen to audiobooks. They cost £25 and are Arbily. They’re very comfortable and charge up overnight.

hilarious Sat 13-Mar-21 20:09:20

I understand the exchange of critical information requested about an important purchase so hope I'm not being a killjoy if I ask why, when we are all exhorted to be in the moment and alert to everything in the world around us, would anyone want to block out sounds around them - for enjoyment or safety? Is this a luxury for some societies today?
My husband wanted to be completely immersed in any music he listened to without the distraction of any other activity, although I have to admit as a much younger person I did turn up my car stereo which probably served to distract me off from some dangers.

Ingrid45 Sat 13-Mar-21 17:03:35

Shysal - So I just switch bluetooth on in the settings and the phone and the ear phones will talk to each other - wow - that's clever!

suziewoozie Sat 13-Mar-21 16:54:30

Oohh so useful and well timed - about to get a new iPhone

shysal Sat 13-Mar-21 16:52:42

Ingrid, they work with the bluetooth function.

Jaxjacky, my phone is a Samsung, all of which have the problem I mentioned. I wasn't aware that they work on an iphone. I refuse to pay the price of one!

Ingrid45 Sat 13-Mar-21 16:45:39

Mrs Dinosaur here! I have seen people out walking with cordless earphones but I don't understand how they work. How would my phone/device know I had them in? Sorry - cant get my head round it!

Jaxjacky Sat 13-Mar-21 15:38:14

shysal I eventually bought these, I use the radio too, these work fine with my iPhone 5s, no wires required.

shysal Sat 13-Mar-21 14:35:28

I used this top ten link when making a decision on ear buds. The top ones are so much cheaper than Apple which are very expensive. I found a rose gold set on Ebay for £74.99. However, I didn't buy them because I wanted to listen mainly to the radio on my phone and realized that a corded earphone has to be plugged into the jack to act as an antenna. There is a way to use the wireless ones, but you still have to have a wired set plugged in even if not in your ears. For all other listening they will be fine. I hope you find some to suit.
best wireless earbuds

Graygirl Sat 13-Mar-21 12:31:05

Great thread, any one got experience of on-bone headphones that are suitable for a hearing aids user.

Ramblingrose22 Sat 13-Mar-21 11:06:53

I'm glad someone has started this thread.

I have just bought some expensive wireless headphones with padded earcups. I don't think in-ear headphones would be comfortable for me.

The adjustable headband was too large for my head so I have to return the expensive ones.

Dianic Sat 13-Mar-21 10:58:04

My DD gave me some she bought on Amazon for £22 and they're fine. Her BF bought her the Apple ones for Christmas, but I have a Sony Experia and they connected perfectly. I must admit, I mainly use them when I'm driving. For indoors I have some lovely Rydohi wireless headphones which cost much the same and are really comfortable (also found on Amazon).

Jaxjacky Fri 19-Feb-21 19:43:47

Thank you , I’ll look at them all.

Mollygo Fri 19-Feb-21 18:59:16

I have had KS Bounce and Forenz, for a few years now since my iPhone stopped having a plug-in socket. Neither of them were expensive (one set from TKMAXX and the other from Amazon).

cornishpatsy Fri 19-Feb-21 18:53:48

I tried a couple of cheaper wireless before buying Airpods, expensive but so much more comfortable.

Blossoming Fri 19-Feb-21 18:45:10

Sorry, not sure what happened to that link!

amazon.co.uk/Conduction-Headphones-Bluetooth-Earphones-waterproof/dp/B08DCHHJ5D/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V4YREHGJ7GMJT0NA9J8R]]

Blossoming Fri 19-Feb-21 18:43:50

I can’t wear anything in my ears, I have aftershokz bone conduction blue tooth headphones that were a present from Mr. B, there are many similar on Amazon at various prices, such as these. amazon.co.uk/Conduction-Headphones-Bluetooth-Earphones-waterproof/dp/B08DCHHJ5D/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V4YREHGJ7GMJT0NA9J8R]]

Galaxy Fri 19-Feb-21 18:12:14

I have Sony wireless headphones. They are brilliant. I think about £40.

Jaxjacky Fri 19-Feb-21 18:06:25

I use my phone out walking for radio, music, BBC sounds and need to move on from the headphones on a ‘string’. I don’t want to spend loads, up to £50. Thank you.