Gransnet forums

Technology

WhatsApp or Signal?

(5 Posts)
Knopflerfan Tue 13-Apr-21 10:41:29

Hi, we use WhatsApp all the time to talk to 4 generations of the family in the UK as we haven’t been able to see them since the end of 2019 - we live in France.
Now friends recommend Signal to replace WhatsApp - they don’t share or sell your information like WA apparently?
But does everyone in the group then have to change to Signal? There are lots of us and we can hardly insist they all change —- help!! Any Technograns out there who are more switched on than I am?

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 13-Apr-21 10:44:18

I use WhatsApp but have never heard of Signal so can't help you!

Knopflerfan Fri 16-Apr-21 10:40:41

Hi Gwenisgreat1 — I’m told it’s like WhatsApp in the way you use it but it only works with someone else who is on Signal.

Lots of fuss about WhatsApp sharing our info with Facebook etc etc. Honestly my info in lockdown is so boring I tend to think they’re welcome! Thanks for your post!

B9exchange Fri 16-Apr-21 16:14:15

Signal is much more secure, and your information will not be passed on to advertisers. It works in exactly the same way as WatsApp, just keeps your data out of Mark Zuckerberg's clutches.

You can move everyone onto Signal, or keep everyone on WhatsApp, but obviously not half and half.

JackyB Fri 16-Apr-21 21:06:55

Several WhatsApp groups I am in are thinking of changing to Signal. Amongst my family and their friends there is a general aversion to Facebook & co. But everyone would have to agree and install Signal.

I expect we shall all transition to Signal or Telegram eventually and I wish them good luck as they are fighting a huge juggernaut.