Gransnet forums

Technology

Passport renewal: new passport not arrived yet….

(34 Posts)
MayBee70 Fri 29-Oct-21 02:26:46

I was really pleased with how fast my passport was processed and was informed that it had gone to TNT for delivery. They said it would be delivered yesterday. Annoyingly I ‘m staying at my daughters to look after her dog so I keep having to go home to wait for the delivery, then get someone to stay in the house when I then go back to my daughters (DH is away). I’ve now read accounts of this continuing for weeks as the delivery company consistently change the delivery day. And they don’t even bother with a signature when they do deliver so sometimes passports go astray, but I’m not going to risk not being in if and when it does arrive. Has anyone else had this problem? I need my passport to renew my driving licence, which, going by the thread on that subject, is going to be just as bad. Is there anything in this country that’s functioning properly these days? Why are they using a company that has received so many complaints over poor service? When they first changed the delivery date I thought us was a one off, so it’s a good job I googled it and found out how bad the service was.

vickymeldrew Fri 29-Oct-21 04:47:32

I renewed my passport at the brginning of this year, having read about severe delays. Like you, I was relieved to receive speedy service from the Passport Office .
However, when it came to delivery it was a nightmare. After chasing it several times my passport arrived days after the expected date.. In my case it was put through a neighbours letter box across the road! No signature or proof of delivery is required, so it is just put through the letter box so no point in staying home to accept a delivery.
This valuable document was treated like junk mail.

Grandma70s Fri 29-Oct-21 05:55:57

I’m waiting for my renewed passport, which they say has just been dispatched. I can’t say it’s late yet. I’ll tell you if it arrives.

Grandma70s Fri 29-Oct-21 06:00:49

Sorry, that was a mistake. They have only said they have received the old one. I was confusing it with something else that has just been dispatched.

wildswan16 Fri 29-Oct-21 08:03:30

Mine arrived exactly 5 weeks after I sent in the application. It came the day it was supposed to and was delivered by an extremely nice young man. My old one came by Royal Mail a couple of days later.

Sorry you haven't been so fortunate.

Maggiemaybe Fri 29-Oct-21 08:48:35

Same here, wildswan16. Except it arrived in slightly less than the 5 weeks.

MayBee70 Fri 29-Oct-21 09:26:46

Grandma70s

Sorry, that was a mistake. They have only said they have received the old one. I was confusing it with something else that has just been dispatched.

Well, they’ve messaged me to remind me that I can’t use my passport until I’ve signed it. I can’t use it till I blooming’ get it! I’m actually furious today having read all the reviews last night.

MayBee70 Fri 29-Oct-21 09:46:58

I’ve spoken to TNT. First of all it was just a computer generated voice but I insisted on speaking to a real person. I’ve now got a complaint number. And she says it doesn’t have to be signed for. If anyone has any problems the number to phone is 03456080630 I did say to the poor girl that I knew she was just doing her job but her company wasn’t fit for purpose and, if I didn’t receive my passport tomorrow I would be contacting the press. Which I will do anyway.

annodomini Fri 29-Oct-21 10:25:07

Why do you need your passport to renew your driving licence, Maybe70? There must be thousands of driving licence holders who don't have passports and I don't recall ever having had to use my passport for this purpose.

ayse Fri 29-Oct-21 10:31:37

annodomini

Why do you need your passport to renew your driving licence, Maybe70? There must be thousands of driving licence holders who don't have passports and I don't recall ever having had to use my passport for this purpose.

DH had to renew his driving licence and they can use your passport photo, if you have your passport number. This means the driving licence can be renewed online which makes the process so much faster..

MayBee70 Fri 29-Oct-21 10:49:24

annodomini

I can do it without but it’s easier to do online with a passport number. Especially given that it’s now taking ages to get driving licences back, too.

MayBee70 Fri 29-Oct-21 10:50:59

Sorry ayse. Crossed posts!

MayBee70 Sat 30-Oct-21 11:23:55

Just to say my passport is going to (hopefully) be delivered today. Whether it’s because I phoned TNT yesterday and went crazy mad woman down the phone I’ll never know. But at least I now know that, when the TNT tracker gives you a date for delivery it means nothing unless they give you a time also (between 8-8). It’ll be interesting to see if they do require a verbal acknowledgement of delivery (as stated on their website) or whether they just push it through the letterbox. Either way, what had been a straightforward process, right from getting the photo done was let down by the very last stage. I still kept checking the delivery date last night because on previous nights, having made arrangements for someone to be in my house throughout the day, the delivery date didn’t change till very late each night.

felice Sat 30-Oct-21 12:11:48

I recently renewed mine from here(Belgium) and expected to wait a while. It arrived in 3 weeks.
I had used the online form and was very pleased.
It was also well out of date as I never really use it in Europe but I needed to get it due to Brexit to get my new I.D. card here.

felice Sat 30-Oct-21 12:14:20

Sorry meant to say TNT gave it to one of the students who live on the top floor, she was coming in at the time. They never even rang my bell, luckily she is very nice and very honest.

MayBee70 Sat 30-Oct-21 13:57:07

. They say it has been delivered. Unfortunately it isn’t at my house. Christ knows where it is. And they’re now closed for the weekend. I don’t believe it.

MayBee70 Sun 31-Oct-21 11:25:22

If my passport has fallen into the wrong hands what can anyone do with it? I’ve had a sleepless night worrying about as the passport offices web chat page isn’t working and no one is answering the phone either. This is what the driver put on the tracker which makes me wonder if he’s actually sold it onto someone given that he did it just when he knew the TNT phone line was closing.

MayBee70 Tue 02-Nov-21 17:30:35

Passport log day 7. Had an email from the delivery company to say there had been a computer error and it would now be delivered tomorrow. As I was replying there was a knock at the door and it was my passport. Well, not exactly my passport but a man delivering my passport. I’ve only got this far because I’ve been onto their media office, my MP, the Home Office and probably a few others. Still haven’t got my old passport back…..

vickymeldrew Tue 02-Nov-21 17:39:27

MayBee70 . Well, it seems a repeat of my experience that I mentioned in my early post. I watched as a man in a white van delivered it to a house on the opposite side of the road. He could have been selling the contents of his post bag to his mates for all the care and consideration my passport had.

MerylStreep Tue 02-Nov-21 17:43:15

MayBee70
The part of a passport that is doctored is the photo ( replaced)
As your a woman of a certain age I doubt very much that it would be used.

Urmstongran Tue 02-Nov-21 17:52:54

All this fuss and anxiety! You only posted on Friday and it’s arrived today, Tuesday. Goodness. You certainly like to make a fuss considering you’ve already contacted their media office, the Home Office (bluddy hell) and others?

Calm down woman - you’ll be giving yourself an ulcer at this rate.

nexus63 Tue 02-Nov-21 17:55:53

are passport offices not open in your area so that you could have collected it in person.
mine is not passport related but delivery companies in general are all over the place, tell you they will delivery/pick up, wait all day and nothing or they leave on the doorstep without knocking the door, i don't think i could trust a company to delivery a passport.

Lillian40 Tue 02-Nov-21 18:41:47

I need to replace my passport and have been told that the Post Office will do it all for me including photo. The person in the Post Office said it is all done digitally and will be quick and easy for me. Has anyone used this method. I realise there is a fee, but I am prepared to pay this to save myself lots of hassle. I need it for a early July 2022 holiday. I guess if I do it now is will save a lot of worry.

Urmstongran Tue 02-Nov-21 18:48:28

My stepfather did it like that recently Lillian. He actually went to Max Speilman - they took a digital photo, filled out the necessary questions on line for him, he paid the money and it was delivered to his door 2 weeks later. Very straightforward.

wildswan16 Tue 02-Nov-21 19:24:45

Lillian40

I need to replace my passport and have been told that the Post Office will do it all for me including photo. The person in the Post Office said it is all done digitally and will be quick and easy for me. Has anyone used this method. I realise there is a fee, but I am prepared to pay this to save myself lots of hassle. I need it for a early July 2022 holiday. I guess if I do it now is will save a lot of worry.

You can easily do it all online yourself. You do need to take a "selfie", so that is easier if you have someone else to help you. It is all submitted online and all you have to do is post your old passport back (they give you the address).

I managed it just fine - and if I can do it I am sure you can too !