Gransnet forums

Technology

Choosing a new smart TV

(36 Posts)
DorisD Wed 02-Mar-22 17:42:53

We are looking to buy a new smart TV and have looked at various makes. There seems to be little difference between them. What make have you got and are you happy with it? I need to make my mind up!

shysal Wed 02-Mar-22 17:54:50

I am happy with my Panasonic.

Grannmarie Wed 02-Mar-22 18:01:21

I'm happy with my Blaupunkt, it was a Christmas gift a few years ago from my AC.?

sodapop Wed 02-Mar-22 18:56:02

We had problems with Samsung and now have a Sony which is fine so far.

PerserverencePays Wed 02-Mar-22 19:08:45

We had an LG, it barely lasted two years before dying so wouldn't get another of those.

Sallywally1 Wed 02-Mar-22 19:12:01

I wouldn’t get another Sony as it has problems finding channels such as itv and more4 which means we can’t get any catch up. I solved the issue by getting an Alexa fire stick, but that should not have been necessary. Apparently other people have had problems with Sony tvs.

Helen657 Wed 02-Mar-22 19:13:39

We’ve currently got 2 Sonys and an LG, when the LG dies we will get another Sony, the LG is nowhere near as reliable at picking up the wifi

MiniMoon Wed 02-Mar-22 19:17:04

We have our second Samsung tv. I love the smart remote that came with it. Easy to pair with tv and freesat box. You just keep the microphone button pressed and talk to the television. DH was very wary of it to begin with, but he likes it now.

Grannynannywanny Wed 02-Mar-22 19:43:43

My daughter and son surprised me with a JVC Fire Stick tv 2 months ago. I love it. Beautiful quality picture and easy to find my way around it ( once they’d set it all up) My son signed it in to his Netflix account and it all works seamlessly with my Virgin tv box. There’s a microphone button on the remote and I can press that and ask to go to a particular channel, YouTube or whatever app.

My old tv was a 14 year old Sony and was only just starting to be temperamental. It wasn’t “smart” ( a bit like it’s owner) but was very reliable for 14 years.

Visgir1 Wed 02-Mar-22 19:58:29

Just seen The Gadget show on 5.. They covered cheap TV vs Sony.. Sony won but it didn't come with quite a few expected Apps ie IPlayer, so might be worth asking if all the Apps are included.
I have a Samsung but its too old now (7 yrs) to support Disney + so we also have Fire Stick for that.
Have fun selecting.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 02-Mar-22 19:59:07

We have a Sony Smart tv. The only trouble occurred about three weeks after buying it. It lost the wi fi and it had to be reset which I managed with the help of the John Lewis technology help phone number. I had to go through the business of setting up Amazon, Netflix, etc etc etc and hoped it wouldn’t happen again. That was in 2020 and so far so good. Really pleased with it. Just press Home and Netflix and co. All appear. The picture is excellent.

Shandy57 Wed 02-Mar-22 20:04:13

My late husband liked Panasonic so I bought that make. I can hardly believe we used to spend all that money on Sky when so much is available on a smart tv.

Purpledaffodil Wed 02-Mar-22 20:05:07

We bought an LG last year on advice of techie son. Amazing picture and an upgrade from 10 year old Sony. Cannot comment yet on reliability.

Elusivebutterfly Wed 02-Mar-22 20:27:28

I have a Samsung which I am happy with. I considered an LG but reviews said it was harder to set up and had no printed instructions so picked the Samsung. I didn't want an unknown brand or a very expensive TV, so this was a good compromise.

tanith Wed 02-Mar-22 21:22:36

Ì have a Samsung and I'm very happy with it. Love the smart remote its so handy.

cornergran Wed 02-Mar-22 21:58:45

We have had our first smart tv, a Sony, for three weeks now. At first I thought we’d never get the hang of it, now we’re confident. Excellent sound quality and a clear picture. I’ve phoned the Sony helpline half a dozen times. Patient, understanding and knowledgeable staff have talked me through everything we’ve been stuck with. Can’t recommend them enough. No issues with apps or catchup. Long may it last!

Jaxjacky Wed 02-Mar-22 22:04:35

We have a Sony, a couple of years old, plug in and play, excellent.

jamie107x Fri 16-Sep-22 11:57:32

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

JaneJudge Fri 16-Sep-22 12:01:46

The JVC fire stick tv is very good value for money. You have to have an amazon account though I think?

Pantglas2 Fri 16-Sep-22 13:13:36

We purchased a Samsung smart tv last year for mi Casa here in Spain and it’s been brilliant. The one at home in Wales is an Aldi special from 8years ago and that’s also been brilliant - cheap doesn’t always mean rubbish!

Buttonjugs Fri 16-Sep-22 13:16:29

My Samsung isn’t a smart tv but it’s now around 15 years old and still going strong! I will definitely be buying Samsung when it needs replacing. And yes it is a flat screen tv.

MiniMoon Fri 16-Sep-22 13:24:38

This thread is 6 months old. I'm sure DorisD must have a new television by now.

BlueBelle Fri 16-Sep-22 13:35:37

My children surprised me with a JVC smart TV last birthday
I m not that happy with it it’s given me trouble twice and seems quite temperamental with Netflix which buffers a lot and comes and goes to the extent that I don’t bother watching Netflix on it (the whole point of buying it for me)
Perhaps it’s me

BlueBelle Fri 16-Sep-22 13:36:15

My old unsmart FV seemed smarter than my new smart tv

Daisymae Fri 16-Sep-22 13:54:04

BlueBelle

My children surprised me with a JVC smart TV last birthday
I m not that happy with it it’s given me trouble twice and seems quite temperamental with Netflix which buffers a lot and comes and goes to the extent that I don’t bother watching Netflix on it (the whole point of buying it for me)
Perhaps it’s me

Maybe it's your internet connection?