Gransnet forums

Technology

Is there a computer that *just* does word processing?

(26 Posts)
Alie2Oxon Sun 06-Sept-26 15:27:52

Coming to the end of use of my Windows 7 Hp computer, years old, can't upgrade. want a machine to write books on!
(Just self-published one)

Does a simple WP exist?

Chestnut Sun 06-Sept-26 15:42:09

I always ask AI and it says:
If your main goal is writing an entire book without the distractions of a normal computer, I'd look at these:

Freewrite Traveler — probably the closest to a modern “digital typewriter.” It has a proper keyboard, an e-ink screen, and is designed almost entirely for writing. Your work can be transferred later to a computer for editing and publishing.

Freewrite Alpha — a simpler, lighter version with a regular LCD-style screen. Good if you want something more portable.

Neo2 / AlphaSmart Neo — older dedicated writing machines that are surprisingly good for writing books. They have a basic screen, excellent battery life, and almost no distractions. They can be found second-hand.

Brother electronic typewriters — if you want something that actually prints your words onto paper as you type. These feel much more like traditional typewriters.

A traditional mechanical typewriter — the most distraction-free option of all. You get the physical satisfaction of typing, but you'll need to deal with paper, corrections and eventually typing the manuscript into a computer.

What I'd choose (this is AI talking)
If you want “I want to sit down and write my novel, but I don't want a computer”, I'd choose a Freewrite.
If you want “I want absolutely no electronics or files—I want the words physically printed as I write”, get an electronic or mechanical typewriter.

Chestnut Sun 06-Sept-26 15:48:45

It has even found the best deal for you.
🥇 My top choice: AlphaSmart Neo 2

AlphaSmart Neo2 Portable Word Processor
★ 4.9 · 43 reviews
£52.20 · PCS4U + others
This is the one I'd buy if your priority is writing a novel without using a computer.

Usually around £50–£100 used
Full-size keyboard
Tiny, distraction-free screen
Stores your writing internally
Multiple separate documents/files
Runs for hundreds of hours on AA batteries
No internet, apps, notifications or distractions
Later, you can transfer the manuscript to a computer when you're ready to edit/publish.

The big downside is that it's an old discontinued machine, so you're buying second-hand. AlphaSmart stopped production in 2013, but there's still a strong second-hand market.

Chestnut Sun 06-Sept-26 15:51:21

Hope that's helpful. Chat GPT tells you so much and even finds you the best deals. I bought a second hand TV Box on its recommendation.

Graphite Sun 06-Sept-26 16:01:59

Seriously, why would you want any of those? They are expensive, nearly £800 for the Freewrite Traveler, and have tiny screens.

Yu can buy a MacBook Neo, Apple's entry-level, 13-inch laptop for less than than that.

If money is a factor, look for reconditioned computers with the kind of screen size, keyboard and other features that you want.

62Granny Sun 06-Sept-26 16:18:58

Surely a computer is just a box with a memory so if you don't want anything else on there except word processing you don't have to use the other icons or don't install them in the first place. But I fail to understand if you type up your book how you can then get printed/ emailed without at least having it connected to the internet.

CarrotTop Sun 06-Sept-26 16:21:56

I agree with Graphite. Why on earth would you want an expensive machine that basically does one job? If you prefer a typewriter-style keyboard rather than an on-screen one, buy a PC with a separate keyboard and mouse. If you want to write on-the-go, use a laptop AND a PC which can read each other's files. Buying both is still going to cost less than an £800 single-function machine.
Also, if you're writing any kind of book nowadays, you really do need Internet access, allowing you to do your bits of research and fact-checking as you go along (even fiction-writers need to do that!).
I speak as someone who wrote an 85,000-word PhD thesis 30 years ago, just as Internet access was becoming more widely available. Believe me, it was like a magic door opening! A mere word-processor won't help you to produce good solid work in the way a PC will.
Good luck with your future projects.

CarrotTop Sun 06-Sept-26 16:23:09

62Granny - crossed posts! I agree with you too!

Alie2Oxon Sun 06-Sept-26 16:43:01

Yes I want a machine that just does one job.
I'm a serious writer and don't want distractions.. my HP machine is end-of-life.
Also I should have said I am using a 24" monitor, small screens strain eyes... money not really a factor. Nor portability.

Graphite Sun 06-Sept-26 17:05:33

Fair enough but its up to you whether you are distracted or not by a machine’s capabilities.

Isn’t that like saying my TV has hundred of channels but I only want to watch BBC1? My washing machine had 30 different programmes but I wash everything on a general 40 degree cycle with a 1200rpm spin. We filter out the functionality we don’t want.

Most computer users only take advantage of a mere fraction of what a machine can do. Most users of word processing software use about 5% of the functionality on offer. Similarly, spreadsheet software which is suitable for the person just keeping simple household or business accounts and the advanced mathematician.

You have control over what software you install. You can remove anything that comes pre-installed that you don’t want or simply remove it from the toolbar so it’s still there in applications but you can’t see the icon which would open in.

I read reviews of the Freelance machine and they aren’t good. Slow boot up time, slow response time between keyboard and screen and no encryption of data which would be necessary for security as the machine is a closed system which doesn’t use Word. It has to convert text via the cloud. You would run into problems with your publisher over compatibility if they use standard software.

Alie2Oxon Sun 06-Sept-26 17:42:33

Ok. I'd better find out how to really remove one particular game.
But it would still be better if I didn't think - 'Have I got an answer to that email yet?'
Like, to be able to write in another room!
Yes I do a lot of research online, and contact publishers...

Bibedybop Sun 06-Sept-26 18:11:42

Don’t forget to consider backups of your work, something a computer can do for you automatically.

ViceVersa Sun 06-Sept-26 18:24:27

Alie2Oxon

Ok. I'd better find out how to really remove one particular game.
But it would still be better if I didn't think - 'Have I got an answer to that email yet?'
Like, to be able to write in another room!
Yes I do a lot of research online, and contact publishers...

I'm confused now. If you need to do a lot of research online, emails, contact publishers etc, can't you just do those things when you are online, then when you are writing and don't want any distractions, just go offline for the duration? I've been writing my entire working life and that's what I would do.

JamesandJon33 Sun 06-Sept-26 18:34:44

I have a marvellous thing on my computer. It reads aloud what I have written. Mistakes are highlighted, and I get a good sense of the ‘flow’ of my sentences. This is standard on Word .
But I need a little more… as I design all my own book covers.
It depends really on how much of your self published book is yours. Although mine are not self published all of it is mine.
The computer you chose will be the one that gives you the things you will need now….and in the future.

Chestnut Mon 07-Sept-26 11:03:13

Alie2Oxon

Yes I want a machine that just does one job.
I'm a serious writer and don't want distractions.. my HP machine is end-of-life.
Also I should have said I am using a 24" monitor, small screens strain eyes... money not really a factor. Nor portability.

I feel people are telling you what to buy instead of helping you find what you want. Anyway, I hope my first two posts were helpful. I quoted something which was not expensive at £52 so I don't know why everyone is saying you have to spend lots of money.

Here's a guy on You Tube reviewing 7 different things for writers.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2W2CoKt-UM

Graphite Mon 07-Sept-26 11:42:34

The device you found for £52 has a tiny screen when OP says. I am using a 24" monitor, small screens strain eyes and money is not a factor.

It is the distractions of having other applications on a computer that seems to be the issue here, namely games and having emails to reply to but that’s really matter of self-discipline and time management.

For a serious writer, comfort, if typing for many hours at a time, has to be the major factor.

Ergonomics, especially as we age, in terms of eye strain, putting our fingers, wrists, necks and spines under stress is a very important consideration. Being hunched over a small keyboard with a tiny screen for hours at a time isn't advisable imo.

NotSpaghetti Mon 07-Sept-26 11:47:11

Wow, Chestnut that's really interesting.
I watched it and don't even need one!

JamesandJon33 Mon 07-Sept-26 12:07:46

Perhaps those of us who do a lot of writing are trying to be helpful.
A small screen for 4-6 hours a day would be difficult and limiting.
The bigger the better and ignore all the rest.

JamesandJon33 Mon 07-Sept-26 12:10:54

And to answer the question ‘Is there a computer etc. Yes …it’s called a typewriter

OldFrill Mon 07-Sept-26 12:43:09

Any computer (hardware) can be used just for word processing as word processing is the software. Uninstall all the unnecessary software. If there are distracting icons (like the clock) showing on screen you can use software to block these and show an entirely blank screen.

You should be able to keep your 24" screen and keyboard provided they are compatible.

Chestnut Mon 07-Sept-26 13:16:26

This is exactly the sort of thing Chat GPT is so good for. I just checked and asked if it's possible to keep your Windows7 laptop as a dedicated Word processor and it said:
Yes — absolutely. An old Windows 7 laptop can still be perfectly usable as a dedicated word-processing machine, especially if you deliberately keep it offline.

A good setup
Keep Windows 7 offline. Don't connect it to the internet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth networks, or email. Windows 7 no longer receives security updates, so using it online is risky.
Install Microsoft Word if you already have a compatible version, or use a lightweight alternative such as LibreOffice (an older compatible version may be appropriate).
Store your documents locally.
Transfer finished documents using a USB stick to a newer, protected computer.
Consider disabling unnecessary startup programs and services to make the old laptop feel faster.
If the laptop has an old mechanical hard drive, replacing it with an SSD can make a surprisingly large difference.

You can make it almost like a dedicated typewriter
For maximum simplicity, you could configure it so that:

Power on → Windows → Word → start writing.

You don't need antivirus software, a web browser, email, or an internet connection if the machine genuinely stays offline.

One thing I'd recommend: don't routinely plug unknown USB sticks into the Windows 7 machine. A safer workflow is to use one dedicated USB drive and scan files on your modern computer before transferring them.

If you tell me roughly how old the laptop is (or its make/model) and whether you already have Microsoft Word, I can suggest the simplest setup to turn it into a distraction-free writing machine.

Graphite Mon 07-Sept-26 13:43:34

Every single device reviewed on that video was economically poor. The Neo, which was designed to teach children to type, is obsolete.

I agree absolutely that nobody should be using a Windows 7 PC for internet functions. The last service pack was issued over three years ago. Some Windows 7 machines can be run on Windows 10 but you won’t get a free upgrade and will have to pay for a licence to use it but - even support for Windows 10 ended a year ago.

You could, in theory, set aside the current machine for work processing-only however the last version of Word that can be used on Windows 7 is Word 2016. Even so, it would still need a service pack update that would have to be downloaded from the Internet. Support for Windows 2016 ended a year ago so whether you could get that update and get it safely is moot.

Word 2019, Word 2021, Word 2024, and Microsoft 365 require Windows 10 or newer and will not install or run normally on Windows 7.

Honestly? For all this faffing about, as money is not an issue, just research which newer devices are most comfortable ergonomically for long bouts of writing and buy a current device with an up-to-date operating system, security and the latest versions of word processing applications.

If you are professional writer, why would you not want the most up to date tools to make your job easier instead of work arounds?

OldFrill Mon 07-Sept-26 13:49:13

Re Chestnut (AI) above -

One potential problem with retaining your current Hp just for word processing is, as you can't update the software. When you send a document to another computer the formatting may be compromised. This could be a nightmare with a large document.

You really need to use a newer computer so you can update the word processing software so it's compatible.

Alie2Oxon Mon 07-Sept-26 15:14:07

I think I'll just get a newer computer... no, I'm not a professional just a serious writer who started at lockdown and wants to get her stories read.
I will need to learn about windows 11; but new stuff is difficult in my 80s. I'd like to finish condensing/editing while my (2010) version of Word, and windows 7, can still cope with it - it was ok for the book that's published but this, my first story is much longer...

Thanks for answering. Alison

JamesandJon33 Mon 07-Sept-26 16:20:37

Updated Word will give you all you need. Editing facilities, tracking for proof reading amendments, spell checker etc. I mostly use these facilities. But I do need the other parts of my computer. Checking dates, relevant music for example. Like you I am 80 and started writing in lockdown. Two books published and just waiting for the last amendments to be done on the third. Half way through number 4.
Good luck with it all, it’s a steep learning curve .