Gransnet forums

Technology

Is there a computer that *just* does word processing?

(27 Posts)
Alie2Oxon Sun 06-Sept-26 15:27:52

Coming to the end of use of my Windows 7 Hp computer, years old, can't upgrade. want a machine to write books on!
(Just self-published one)

Does a simple WP exist?

Chestnut Mon 07-Sept-26 16:47:57

OldFrill

Re Chestnut (AI) above -

One potential problem with retaining your current Hp just for word processing is, as you can't update the software. When you send a document to another computer the formatting may be compromised. This could be a nightmare with a large document.

You really need to use a newer computer so you can update the word processing software so it's compatible.

Well I'm still on Windows 10 and using Office 2007 with no problem including Word 2007 of course. I just installed it all from a disk and don't need updates. You can buy Office disks on E-Bay.

When I send to other people I usually convert my Word documents into PDF files but that might not apply to everyone. Still, even the most recent versions of Office can read Word 2007, and there are also ways of turning 2007 into a modern Word format.