Gransnet forums

Travel

Holidays

(45 Posts)
jo1book Wed 08-Apr-15 17:11:10

Are you going on holiday this year (sound like the hairdresser)? Anyone going to Bologna?

ninathenana Thu 09-Apr-15 23:38:24

numberplease Shearings do some very good last minute deals. May I suggest you sign up for their e-mail alerts.

TwiceAsNice Fri 10-Apr-15 00:08:27

Ju

TwiceAsNice Fri 10-Apr-15 00:13:09

Just got back from France with the family, had a weekend in Falmouth with old friends in February and hoping to go away with best friend in the summer but not decided where yet then probably back to France for a week again in October. Haven't flown for a couple of years went to France by ferry ( not my favourite but the grandchildren love it) and last years holiday with friend was a coach to Scotland but I love flying and hope to fly again soon.

durhamjen Fri 10-Apr-15 00:27:22

Lucky you didn't fly, TwiceAsNice.
My daughter-in-law is in Spain, visiting her parents. Her flight back on Wednesday from Alicante was cancelled, so my son changed it to Barcelona yesterday. That was cancelled too, so I think she is still there. Fortunately this is just the first week of her holiday - she is a teacher - and the strike ends tomorrow, but she has a ticket for the Sage tomorrow night. Do not know what will happen there.

granjura Fri 10-Apr-15 13:16:44

Off to Southern Sicily next Thursday for a couple of weeks- that is if DH can get back from the UK on Monday...

Stansgran Fri 10-Apr-15 13:34:43

Cruise around Byzantine sites in a few weeks time(flying to Istanbul) and a few days in Oban in June . I have a significant birthday later on in the year and rather hoping I'm being treated to a dream holiday. As I don't know what my dream holiday would be I think DH has an uphill task. I'm toying with making a list but so far I've got the Orient Express ,Hawaii and no further. I've started a bucket list on Pinterest to see if that would help.

granjura Fri 10-Apr-15 14:23:16

Agh, let's hope, If you do get to Hawaii, makes sure you stop in San Francisco for a few days on both legs. And then Island hop to the wild Island of Kaui and take a helicopter trip, and then go to Maui for a few days, rather than stay on main Island. (we did that trip for my 60th- lucky to be invited by my cousin who has a timeshare in Maui, and we stayed on another timeshare exchange in Kaui).

tiggypiro Fri 10-Apr-15 16:19:02

Another vote for San Francisco ! A place I could easily live in.
One of my best holidays was a private tour in India organised by Trailfinders. You do need a small amount of adventurous spirit but it was fabulous.

J52 Fri 10-Apr-15 17:16:04

I'm with you on San Francisco! We spent 10 days there last Autumn and also could live there. We still didn't get round everywhere. There are walking tours, organised by the city tourist board. Well worth doing as they focus on specific but different aspects of the city.
In the Chinese quarter you can almost forget your in America.
Loved every minute of it. x

mcem Fri 10-Apr-15 17:25:31

Taking 3 DGC's to Disneyland Paris in July then in August a grown-up trip to Stratford with a friend. Not keen on flying but hope the excitement of the 2 little ones will distract me! Have coped with longer flights and would add that I too loved San Francisco and also Jamaica.

toursinnepal Thu 16-Jul-15 11:31:58

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

whitewave Thu 16-Jul-15 11:41:07

Hope you are recovering from the earthquake.

numberplease Thu 16-Jul-15 17:03:57

ninathenana, sorry not to have replied to your suggestion earlier than this. After trying a few coach companies, we found 3 with accessible entry coaches that picked up in Boston. We booked a 7 night coach tour holiday to Scotland with Highland Heritage, there were 5 excursions included and it was great value. Alas, hubby went into hospital again, TWICE, the 2nd time with a heart attack, and we were advised by the hospital not to go on the coach tour, so now we`re booked to go to Wells-next-the-Sea in Norfolk, in a beautiful looking B & B, www.machrimore.co.uk and are really looking forward to it. Our daughter is driving us there and home again. Fingers crossed this will be 3rd time lucky, as earlier in the year we cancelled another holiday to Scotland.

TheReadingRoom Thu 16-Jul-15 18:37:43

Australia last November to see DS, d-in-law and to meet 1 year-old grandson for first time.

Not long back from 2 weeks in the Ardennes - managed to pick the one day to return when there were no problems getting back through the tunnel!

Thailand next January for above son's wedding. Then time to think about visiting Vancouver again to see our other son and his family smile

Margsus Thu 16-Jul-15 19:01:57

Transatlantic cruise in November to Florida via the Caribbean, followed by 5 days in Orlando, then flying home, arriving the day GC2 is due to be born!

petra Mon 20-Jul-15 20:15:04

Just come back from a holiday and I'm going to try very hard not to go on line and look at flights and destinations. I've got to the stage now where the planning is more enjoyable than the reality.
The trouble is, oh never objects about anywhere I want to go. He just says, ok, you sort it.
If I really meant it, I wouldn't be renewing my passport, would I ?

HildaW Mon 20-Jul-15 20:22:16

Another great city in the US for an extended city break is Chicago - direct flights from UK. We had 3 days there whilst on a tour and are going back early autumn under our own steam for a longer break...the list of 'to-dos' is getting longer by the day...and as for food....its brilliant!

mcem Mon 20-Jul-15 20:29:55

Off to Stratford tomorrow. Just in case anyone plans to go to the cinema on Wednesday to see the live broadcast of Merchant of Venice, I'll give you a wave if the camera points my way. Patrons have been advised that coughing should be avoided!!

TwiceAsNice Mon 20-Jul-15 22:55:19

Yorkshire with best friend in August. France with DD 1 & 2 and SIL and granddaughters in October. Really looking forward to both. I go to France twice a year in the half terms and last year went with best friend to Scotland. We have been friends since we were children and as we are both divorced we enjoy holidaying together.