Gransnet forums

Travel

Finding a November holiday in the UK

(33 Posts)
yorkshirelady Tue 20-Oct-15 16:30:08

I am looking for a 4 or 5 day holiday in the uk in November
I can go between 12 and 17 only so any ideas, perhaps a turkey and tinsel type will be great
Many thanks

hildajenniJ Tue 20-Oct-15 20:00:57

Have you tried looking for coach tours departing from your area. I know that November is rather short notice, but they often have cancellations. Have a look at Shearing etc. there are loads online.

hildajenniJ Tue 20-Oct-15 20:01:36

Shearings

ninathenana Wed 21-Oct-15 07:22:57

I highly recommend Shearings. You may well find a late deal.

JessM Wed 21-Oct-15 07:26:37

Llandudno is a great destination - lots of interesting places close by - Bodnant Gardens good all year round, Conwy's mediaeval town and castle etc

kittylester Wed 21-Oct-15 07:54:59

Aldeburgh in Suffolk would be my choice. Lots of great places to go to and fabulous seascapes.

Indinana Wed 21-Oct-15 09:21:34

We stayed in Marlborough last January for five days. A really beautiful old town and the surrounding area is lovely to drive around - I'm assuming you'll have a car?. If so, then Avebury, Lacock, The Cotswolds, Royal Wootten Bassett are all within reach.

Riverwalk Wed 21-Oct-15 09:31:33

Only one place to go - London.

If it's 'turkey & tinsel' you're after we've got plenty!

Aldeburgh, Marlborough & Llandudno are all very well but what if the weather's like today, what will you do? shock

Charleygirl Wed 21-Oct-15 10:19:54

I totally agree with Riverwalk- plenty to entertain you and there are bargains for some of the theatre plays/musicals.

HildaW Wed 21-Oct-15 11:40:16

I'd go for a city break. York is wonderful and if the sun does shine you can go out into the countryside.
Ditto Bath - always a lot happening in Bath.

yorkshirelady Wed 21-Oct-15 11:47:13

I go to Bath a lot as we have a daughter there who is busy when I have some spare time.
I have tried every coach company apart from Shearings who I avoid as my sister in law and I have had so many cancellations from them - often at the last moment.
York is a possibility but wanted to go a little further north if possible
Thanks for your suggestions so far and do keep them coming in please

ninathenana Wed 21-Oct-15 12:10:06

Edinburgh is a beautiful city if your looking to go north.

Stansgran Wed 21-Oct-15 12:12:55

Durham is fabulousgrin

Riverwalk Wed 21-Oct-15 12:31:42

Unless you're planning to cosset yourself in a country house hotel, I'd say definitely a city-break in November.

If you don't like long bracing walks, buffeted by the wind and rain, seaside towns can be miserable in the winter!

But I do love Aldeburgh any time of the year.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 21-Oct-15 12:56:32

I agree with Aldeburgh. They have farm shop cafes with wood-burning stoves around that area.

I would get a cottage. Also with a wood-burning stove.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 21-Oct-15 12:57:22

Take your own tinsel. smile

tiggypiro Wed 21-Oct-15 15:18:43

What do you mean Riverwalk ''if the weather's like today ? I'm in my t-shirt in the garden in North Yorkshire as it is a beautiful warm day.
As for the OP Edinburgh would be my choice or Northumberland.

numberplease Wed 21-Oct-15 17:24:41

Try a look on www.highlandheritage.co.uk

Ranworth1 Thu 22-Oct-15 13:40:18

www.visitdevon.co.uk/

marpau Thu 22-Oct-15 15:35:19

Try Alnwick in Northumberland they have a lovely garden and the castle as well was lots of stunning coast nearby

Debr4h Thu 22-Oct-15 16:36:03

What about Newcastle for a city break?

Maggiemaybe Thu 22-Oct-15 17:07:30

Alnwick Castle is closed for Winter after 1 November, marpau. I know that as my DD2 and family are going up North for a break and have been disappointed to find that they won't be able to go to Alnwick or Bamburgh Castle. The Alnwick Gardens are open though.

seacliff Thu 22-Oct-15 17:15:59

I was going to suggest Newmarket, just because they have an interesting Presents gift fair at Newmarket Racecourse, but it's outside your dates
presentsgalorebuild.co.uk/

If you go to London there's this - really good, and of course, so much else to do too. www.countrylivingfair.com/xmas/.

lefthanded Thu 22-Oct-15 18:22:35

It has to be Blackpool. Unfortunately you'll miss the lights because they finish on the 8th, but at least that means that accommodation will be a bit cheaper and more available.

hildajenniJ Thu 22-Oct-15 19:39:29

I had a lovely break at Berwick uopn Tweed a few years ago. Very historic, and there are some lovely coastal towns within reach. Also beautiful countryside.