Gransnet forums

Travel

Norwegian fjords

(44 Posts)
numberplease Thu 29-Oct-15 01:19:46

We are considering booking for a cruise of the fjords in April, travel insurance costs allowing. What sort of clothing will we need at that time of year? Just ordinary warm clothing, or extra warm? Is their spring like ours?

LullyDully Thu 29-Oct-15 03:47:28

Still snowy so something warm and warm underwear and tights under trousers. You will be in the country so colder than Oslo.Warm coat for sure, scarves ,hats,gloves.

chelseababy Thu 29-Oct-15 07:28:29

Layers! We went in June and most days were like at home but equally change able. Be prepared for rain too.

cornergran Thu 29-Oct-15 07:45:59

We also went in June, beautiful, still snow high up and ice. Should think April even more spectacular but, yes, it was chilly at times in June and it did rain - but it does here as well. Would agree that layers are the way to go and something to keep you dry so any rain, or indeed snow, doesn't matter. We did get up early most days as the sail-in was unfailingly spectacular. Enjoy. smile

petra Thu 29-Oct-15 16:50:17

I wish I could send you some pictures of me in April in Norway.
Nanook of the north doesn't come close!!!

numberplease Thu 29-Oct-15 17:43:56

Thank you all for your replies, the holiday is still very much up in the air, it depends on insurance costs, and the insurance company are now asking for information that is becoming difficult to get hold of. If my hsband sees the replies he may well decide against going anyway, he likes to be warm, witha capital W, I`d almost convinced him that it would be quite pleasant in springtime!

LullyDully Thu 29-Oct-15 19:19:22

They get daffodils. in late May. They ski at Easter. Be warned. They have thick blankets for the outside smokers. Being in the countryside makes it much colder. Lovely place but dress accordingly.very beautiful, we just don't have snow and ice like it.

M0nica Thu 29-Oct-15 19:28:11

We cruised up the Norwegian coast in February this year. We, and everybody else on the ship, came ready prepared for freezing winter weather with thermal everything, socks, gloves, long johns and great big thick jackets - and sweltered. We got all the snow and dramatic scenery we went for, but only on one day did the temperature fall any distance below 0C.

And remember, even if the weather outside is cold the ship itself will be grossly overheated. On the ship most of us looked like beached whales in nice warm sweaters in a ship which seemed to be heated to at least 25C.

Oh, except for DH, who never goes anywhere without an adequate supply of T shirts, which he wore and he just looked smug!

numberplease Thu 05-Nov-15 01:02:05

Well, we`re booked! We go on April 4th, I`ve warned him that we`ll need to take jumpers and coats, will have to buy a couple of scarves, don`t own any. Has anyone sailed on the Marco Polo? We`ve never cruised before, haven`t a clue about what to expect.

LullyDully Thu 05-Nov-15 10:01:23

Have a lovely time and keep warm.

LullyDully Thu 05-Nov-15 10:02:58

How far north are you going?

petra Thu 05-Nov-15 14:05:07

Numberplease. "Haven't a clue what to expect" First rule, keep clear of people wearing a T/ sweatshirt with the name of the ship you are on.
They will be cruise bores. That's unless you want to hear about every cruise they have been on.

Galen Thu 05-Nov-15 14:14:32

Where are you sailing from?

numberplease Fri 06-Nov-15 00:59:46

LullyDully, being a bit ignorant of Norwegian geography, (I recognize the map of Norway, and know where Oslo is) I don`t know exactly whereabouts we`re going, only that we`re stopping off at Ulvik, Flam and Bergen. I will study the map of Norway more thoroughly as the time approaches.
Petra, thank you for the advice, but if those t-shirts and swetshirts are available, we`ll probably buy ourselves some! Hopefully not to become ships bores!
Galen, we`re sailing from Tilbury.

petra Fri 06-Nov-15 15:36:45

Numberplease. Try not to collapse when the ask for £10 for a cup of coffee.
Norway is an extremely wealthy country. This is reflected in their prices !!!

LullyDully Fri 06-Nov-15 17:55:48

You mention a scarf......add to that gloves and you must have a hat. Bergen is sort of middle west..... bet the really north bit is very cold.

LullyDully Fri 06-Nov-15 18:02:50

I have just googled Ulvik and Flam. Looks like you will sail to Bergen on the coast and sail up that fjord. It will be good. Bergen is fascinating. We know Norway quite well as my BIL married a Norwegian and has lived there nearly 40 years.

numberplease Sat 07-Nov-15 01:33:16

I`m SO looking forward to it, now that we`ve taken the leap and booked!

cornergran Sat 07-Nov-15 08:05:03

Excited for you. Please post and let us know your thoughts after the cruise. Would love to hear about your experience.

numberplease Sun 08-Nov-15 01:38:32

I will.

Nonio Sun 03-Jan-16 10:05:14

Hi there, numberplease

We cruised to Norway end May/early June. We had a brilliant time. There are some truly gorgeous towns and cities. I remember my first morning that we sailed into Norway and a fiord. A) I woke up at c 4 am, opened the curtains and it was light (not sure about April).... And just looking at the fiord and saying "Wow! Wow! Wow!".

The southern half of Norway was pleasantly warm in May and we wore light trousers, summer dresses and cardigans. However once we got to Tromso it was cold and raining (but still very interesting...the Artic Cathedral and the Polaris museum where we saw seals and they had a brilliant 3Dish film on artic wildlife) and we needed warm clothes and good waterproofs. In Honnigsvaag, near the very north it was snowing hard. My sister and I have a two photos each taking a photo of the other at the same time laughing through the driving snow.

However, our first port of call was Stavanger and there they had a great market (check days of arrival). I bought a great Norweigan woolly hat and gloves that were perfect for the colder north. I really REALLY recommend down jackets/coats. They provide a good level of warmth and I use them as 'tissue paper' for packing as they squash down small but provide anti-crease protection. A decent proper waterproof too.

I've not sailed with Cruise Maritime, but have just checked online. It carries c 800 passengers maximum so is classified as a 'small' ship. This is good in Norway as you'll be able to get into and dock in the smaller, narrower fiords. You might find it a bit 'bumpier' crossing the North Sea than some of the bigger newer ships. That wouldn't bother me at all as I like a few waves.

It looks as if it's style is a bit more informal than some of the bigger cruise lines. I hope you have as good a time as we did.

numberplease Sun 03-Jan-16 19:21:12

Thank you Nonio. My only worry, and to me it`s a big worry, is whether they dress for dinner, as hubby and I aren`t dressy people, least of all him, and I don`t want folk looking down their noses at us for being ordinary. My daughter says I`m daft to worry. Our stop offs are Flam and Bergen.

Tegan Sun 03-Jan-16 20:17:18

Oh, how exciting number! Could I stow away in your suitcase please?

Galen Sun 03-Jan-16 20:43:49

Enjoy!

Galen Sun 03-Jan-16 20:52:33

A couple from my cruise