Gransnet forums

Travel

Do you have an essential travel gadget?

(91 Posts)
techygran Thu 18-Aug-16 15:41:59

I've just got back from holiday and for the first time took a portable luggage scale (wasn't this one but very similar). It was brilliant and I can't think why I never thought to buy one before. I always overpack and it was so good to have this at home and with me on hols so I knew how much limoncello I could bring back with me wink
Anyone else have any useful gadgets they can't travel without?

ninathenana Thu 18-Aug-16 15:58:23

H always takes his "head light" as hotel bedside lights are rubbish for reading (I have my kindle)
If going by car I always take my memory foam pillow. Why do hotels have really soft pillows ?

Grannyknot Thu 18-Aug-16 16:02:41

Not a gadget but I take a spray mist thingy for my face when I travel long-haul by plane. It's just so lovely and hydrating. Will look up what it's called if anyone is interested.

gillybob Thu 18-Aug-16 16:08:47

My sister brought me a bottle of Limoncello back from a recent trip to Italy and I could seriously become addicted to it techygran

Dee-bloomin-lishus !

millymouge Thu 18-Aug-16 16:11:06

DH and I never go anywhere long distance in the car without the satnav. It makes our journeys so much easier and saves a great deal of stress (I am not very good at map reading and things have been known to get heated at times). But these days we leave the mapping to Jane and arrive happy and relaxed. So far we have never been directed into a field or a quarry grin yet

Riverwalk Thu 18-Aug-16 16:15:47

No particular gadgets but just to say that I love Limoncello!

Just in case you don't know gilly and presuming that you haven't yet drunk it all, it's best served very chilled so keep it in the freezer sunshine

gillybob Thu 18-Aug-16 16:24:35

Thank you for your advice River sadly too late for that particular bottle blush . I will be looking out for it though. Do you know if it is available anywhere in this country?

gillybob Thu 18-Aug-16 16:25:31

Sorry for going off thread techygran smile

LullyDully Thu 18-Aug-16 16:26:12

When we lived in Jamaica we came home every year. Packing was an art involving bathroom scales. We took ages to do it working out how to keep the Marmite and cheese safe. All the epats were in need of things from home. One.of these little.scales would have been so useful.

Mamie Thu 18-Aug-16 16:36:26

Gillybob we buy Limoncello in Lidl when it is Italian week. When I roast a duck, I take it out, pour off the fat, de-glaze the pan with limoncello, then pour it over the meat. 'Tis delicious.
Essential travel gadget? I have a large plastic crate permanently packed with holiday cooking equipment. grin

Riverwalk Thu 18-Aug-16 16:43:08

gilly it's techy's own fault for mentioning Limoncello grin

You can get it in Waitrose - so presumably other supermarkets too!

M0nica Thu 18-Aug-16 16:55:25

Bottle opener and a torch.

Galen Thu 18-Aug-16 16:57:32

Multiple socket strip. There are never enough sockets for chargers etc

techygran Thu 18-Aug-16 17:33:26

haha! A unintentional limoncello fan club. Is the Lidl one any good? I'll have to try that recipe Mamie. Yes, to the Kindle, that's another lifesaving travel gadget. Would like to get a spray misty thing too grannyknot. I always get so hot and bothered when travelling, that sounds like it might be just the ticket.

Mamie Thu 18-Aug-16 17:38:42

The Lidl one is pretty good. I have had better, more expensive ones, but fine for cooking. Sometimes I rub the duck with half a lemon and put the other half inside first.

gillybob Thu 18-Aug-16 18:28:15

Right that's settled . I'm going on a Lemoncello hunt this weekend . I shall start at the cheaper end of the market and work my way up to Waitrose . I hadn't planned on cooking with it Mamie and confess to never having ever cooked duck but your recipe does sound rather delicious.

gillybob Thu 18-Aug-16 18:29:00

I wonder what time Lidl closes tonight ? Not sure I can wait until the weekend now.

granjura Thu 18-Aug-16 18:51:57

If we travel by car, I always take my mattress topper with me- it rolls up to a small sleeping bag size and its so comfy.

KatyK Thu 18-Aug-16 18:57:15

An ipod on a flight. We put loads of different music on it and play it on shuffle and you never know what you are going to get! Helps pass the time.

Mamie Thu 18-Aug-16 18:58:25

Lidl only have it here in Italian week Gillybob. It is Greek week here, but you might be lucky. grin
I love that GJ. I take my pillow, but taking your mattress must be the ultimate home comfort!

Luckygirl Thu 18-Aug-16 19:13:45

My OH would take a fridge light bulb if I let him - honestly. We always go self-catering and he gets very frustrated when the light in the fridge does not work - we spent half a day at one place traipsing around trying to buy one! I am a very patient woman!!

He also insists we take J-cloths - it is on his Master List.

SueDonim Thu 18-Aug-16 19:19:32

Same as Galen, we take a multi-socket extension and what a difference it's made! I don't know why we didn't think of it before.

Mamie Thu 18-Aug-16 19:19:36

J-cloths in my holiday box too. Wipes, tinfoil, clingfilm as well.
Fridge lightbulb hmm. Was it a French and Saunders sketch? "You'll only regret it if you don't...
grin

granjura Thu 18-Aug-16 19:30:26

hihi not the mattress but just the topper ;) it's a Fine Bedding Spundown mattress enhancer (what it says on label) very light and takes very little space- but makes a massive difference. I also take my bamboo fibre neck pillow if I can. In fact, may well pay for an extra piece of luggage next time I travel- worth every penny or centime ;)

morethan2 Thu 18-Aug-16 19:30:52

A plug for the sink. The amount of appartments I've been to that don't have a bowl or a plug and the plug is easier to pack than a bowl. grin