Gransnet forums

Travel

Hotel room for a day

(29 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Sun 16-Oct-16 21:43:39

Hi everyone who visits the South of Tenerife. Does anyone know where I can rent a room either in a hotel or apartment for one day from 11am - 5pm. Obviously we will pay for a nights stay over and would expect to pay a suppliment for getting into the room early. We've to be out of our holiday rental by 11 and we're not flying home until 7pm. I've tried several rentals only to be told we can't get access to the room until 4pm onwards. That's no good to us as we need a base to rest up on the day we leave Tenerife until we fly home. hmm

chelseababy Mon 17-Oct-16 06:22:18

When we had a villa in Corfu we had to be out by 10am. The bill a company rep organised a hotel room for us. I think it was €50. They also recommended a hotel where we could use the pool etc without booking a room.

Elizabeth1 Mon 17-Oct-16 08:33:24

Thanks chelseababy we too were given a room for an additional charge in Greece which we could use until we left for the airport. As we have booked a private let the owner needs the apartment for the next customer. We are getting to stay in the complex through which is what I think we'll have to do. Must book a sensible time to fly next time. However I think I'll keep trying for a bolt hole while in Tenerife.

Jane10 Mon 17-Oct-16 09:23:52

I have to say my mind boggled when I saw the title of this thread Elizabeth! I didn't know what you were up to!

DanniRae Mon 17-Oct-16 14:13:40

Phew - I was thinking the same Jane10!!

I can't help you Elizabeth but I wish you success in your search

Charleygirl Mon 17-Oct-16 14:18:10

Jane10 and DanniRae my mind was also going down that track!

granjura Mon 17-Oct-16 15:08:12

Elisabeth why not wait until you are there and ask at the local restaurant when you go out for a meal - they might even be happy to have your luggage and let you sit quietly after lunch- or know of somewhere. If you are renting an appartment privately, most Hôtels won't be so keen to accomodate you just for the day, but you never know. Which part of South Tenerife?

Newquay Mon 17-Oct-16 17:25:07

Yes I thought ooh er missus as well!

Elizabeth1 Tue 18-Oct-16 08:16:29

Success at last - found a berthed ship on the Golf Del Sur which has access to rooms from 12 midday. And for all you folks thinking eh room for a day? We only needed it for a base near to the airport where we can freshen up, have a rest and taxi to the airport. Have a nice day everyone. grin

Elizabeth1 Tue 18-Oct-16 08:18:03

And who knows - I might be lucky blush

Jane10 Tue 18-Oct-16 08:22:53

Gaun yersel' Elizabeth!

granjura Tue 18-Oct-16 10:13:49

Make sure you take earplugs! Golf del Sur is very close to the airport and you can wave to the pilots from your bedroom ;)

DaphneBroon Tue 18-Oct-16 10:15:27

Ooh you are awful! grin But I like you!! gringrin

Elizabeth1 Sat 22-Oct-16 09:26:19

We stayed in a hotel in Gulf Del Sur once - the hotel was lovely however on our first night an aeroplane flew over us - wakened me up which promptly caused a very colourful language. After that there were no other problems I just got used to being on the flight path.

Success has fallen through though. Just received an email to say the ship will be sailing away to Italy and they've cancelled our booking - what a bummer. Has anyone heard of Airbnb I've just joined it's a site from all over the world which advertises a room in someone's home.

Jane10 Sat 22-Oct-16 10:55:42

Yes its a well known worldwide phenomenon. My sister does Airbnb as do several of DSs friends. Check the website for reviews though as accommodation can be very varied!

felice Sat 22-Oct-16 12:36:19

I also read the title wrongly which reminded me of an incident here.
There is a very nice square in the EU district nice bars and restaurants(if you can afford the prices).
I was walking along the street behind it with DBF which was full of small Hotels. I commented that these must be handy for people visiting the Parliament, DGS gave me a look, and pointed out the rates were hourly, the penny still did not drop until he pointed out the reason in some detail.shock

Luckygirl Sat 22-Oct-16 14:01:26

I am sure that hotels are quite used to renting rooms for the day!

Tessa101 Sun 23-Oct-16 09:49:26

I would ask the locals as previous poster suggested i.e. Cafe owner taxi driver, neighbours on the complex, workers at pool bar, they may know somewhere or is there not a hotel at the airport I'm not familiar with south Tenerife.

Venus Sun 23-Oct-16 10:05:29

We have always asked the hotel whether we can use a room for the extra time needed. For a fee, they have always found us a temporary room to use. Never been a problem.

schnackie Sun 23-Oct-16 10:29:52

I use Airbnb all the time, in about 4 countries so far. It has always been an economic and pleasant experience. There are reviews posted by previous guests and I would never stay in one that didn't have any reviews, (or that had negative ones, obviously). I would highly recommend going down that route for this occasion.

Michoap Sun 23-Oct-16 12:10:16

That's so funny, my mind was wondering too! It ise worth speaking with owners on airbnb as mentioned. If the room/apartment is free they will have more flexibility then official hotels and chains.

Diddy1 Sun 23-Oct-16 13:37:33

Great minds think alike! Hope you find a place,and have a safe journey home.

May2710 Sun 23-Oct-16 14:58:15

You could ask on the Tenerife trip advisor forum. www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g187479-i153-Tenerife_Canary_Islands.html
Good luck

grannybuy Sun 23-Oct-16 15:17:19

I was thinking she maybe wanted to 'get away from it all', not very far from home! I occasionally fantasise about spending 24 hours on my own in a hotels when my ill husband and handicapped son get a bit much. I'd stock up on nice, no cook food, and treats, from M&S, and take my knitting and a good book. In my dreams!!

Gaggi3 Sun 23-Oct-16 18:20:44

I, too, wondered what this thread could be about, was ready for something quite racy.......