Gransnet forums

Travel

Buses !!!

(29 Posts)
alternativegran Thu 08-Dec-16 08:42:00

Yesterday I waited an hour at West Quay Southampton for the 15.10 to Salisbury which didn't arrive. I took the 16. 10 but by the time it arrived in Salisbury the last bus back to my village had gone. There was no-one around to ask for information, I am glad I wasn't a mother waiting in the cold with small children.

If I take a train I know if it's running late and in some instances could claim compensation, why is there a difference for bus travellers? Is it because they can be the most vulnerable in our society and the least likely to get together and complain?

mrsmopp Wed 04-Jan-17 16:24:56

We can send a text message to our bus company (the number is there on the bus stop sign) and within a few seconds the reply is texted back with the time of the next bus.
It's a free service and much appreciated.

Charleygirl Wed 04-Jan-17 16:41:30

I live within a 10 minute walk to a bus route that goes to Heathrow so they are very frequent and I am extremely lucky.

Like tanith although a move outside London when I retired was something I had considered, transport without a car always came up trumps as well as fabulous on line grocery shopping.

grannylyn65 Wed 04-Jan-17 16:46:06

Buses are for us poor destitute pensioners,!they are a means of transport, like cars but bigger ?