Gransnet forums

Travel

Saga anyone?

(46 Posts)
Jane10 Thu 29-Jun-17 09:51:13

Just wondering about Saga cruises. According to their brochures they seem to meet and surpass our requirements. However, there must be a snag somewhere otherwise they are too good to be true. They even guarantee your money back if you don't enjoy the trip. Any experiences Grans?

Gagagran Thu 29-Jun-17 10:23:55

I can't speak from personal experience as I have never been on a cruise with any company. However, I have some good friends who are very regular cruisers and they rate both Saga cruises and Saga holidays very highly.

This is mainly because they do not have lots of younger and often rowdier people on them but more of the older, like-minded types. I stress this is only hearsay but my friends are delightful, fun-loving people and I do trust their judgment. They have made some good acquaintances on Saga holidays too and thoroughly recommend them.

Teetime Thu 29-Jun-17 10:57:43

Saga always seem very expensive to me. Our experience of a recent cruise that there were a lot of hidden costs for things on board like activities and the drinks bill was horrendous.

Crafting Thu 29-Jun-17 11:48:30

Hi Jane I can give you my opinion on Saga as we have been on 3 of their cruises (and have 3 more booked). It depends on what you like and what is important to you as to whether or not Saga is for you. I will just list some things so you can make up your own mind.

Collection by car from own front door -makes it easy to cope with luggage as you don't have to carry it

Ratio of crew to passengers is high - means there is plenty of people around to help. Service is excellent and your wishes are instantly dealt with by lovely smiley people who seem really pleased to have you on board.

Food is plentiful, excellent and choice amazing. If you want anything special just ask for it.

People travelling on their own are given oportunity to sit with others if they wish, meet with others prior to excursions if they would like some company on shore.

No one under 50 allowed so no children and means that the people you meet you can chat with about most things.

Great deal of help for those with disabilities. Numerous crew who assist with finding seats, wheelchair users, help on and off coaches.

Clear excursion details. How far you need to walk, if there are steps to climb, how many. Where the nearest loo is!! (Very important for some)

From our personal point of view DH and I are 70 and 68. Able to walk, no disabilities and youngish compared to some of the other cruisers. We are not wealthy or snobbish and have not encountered anyone on our cruises that wasn't prepared to chat in a pleasant manner. Plenty of places to sit for a quiet read (or snooze). Good entertainment if you want it. Great food. Very relaxing. We love it.

The crew are the best thing about Saga and they make the cruises so enjoyable. They have a complete full on safety drill every week including launching lifeboats and checking all cabins. It makes you feel very safe in their hands

It is more expensive than some other cruises but all charges are included. No hidden extras, no tipping, free wine at lunch and dinner on most cruises. One sitting for meals, you can eat where and when you want.

Hope that helps in your decision making and enjoy your holiday whatever you do

P.S I was totally against cruising before we went with Saga. Now I love it ?

Crafting Thu 29-Jun-17 11:58:17

Teetime I assume the recent cruise you mention wasn't with Saga as they make no charges for activities (unless you mean excursions which are always extra with all holidays). Drinks charges are not expensive on Saga. As I said on most Saga cruises wine is free at lunch and dinner. On our first cruise with Saga before the wine was included we used to spend £14 on a bottle of wine which we thought was very reasonable.

Jane10 Thu 29-Jun-17 12:11:18

Thanks crafting. That's what I wanted to hear. We're not big drinkers either and wine at lunch and dinner is fine by me!
The pick up from home and delivery back too is a very attractive proposition!
Are the cabins OK? There were no photos in the brochure we were sent. DH was suspicious.

devongirl Thu 29-Jun-17 12:30:53

Please oh please, where do you all find money to go on cruises, several times a year sometimes? - I can barely make ends meet from one month's end to the next despite working full time sad Serious question...

Crafting Thu 29-Jun-17 12:42:50

Sorry devongirl I can't really answer your question. We have been through hard times financially in the past but have been fortunate in DH having a good job and me having a more poorly paid job (NHS worker) but in work for many years. We are lucky in that both our sons are now employed ( both have been made redundant in the past) and basically we have saved up.

Not a very helpful answer I'm afraid and I do feel for you as we have been through times when we couldn't make ends meet either. I suppose with most things it depends which generation you were born into and what happens during your lifetime as to how financially secure you are (my mother had no shoes as a child and very little food either). I hope things improve for you.

Crafting Thu 29-Jun-17 12:52:46

jane10 difficult question to answer re the cabins as it all depends on your own point of view.

Basically we go in an inside cabin because it is much cheaper. I know a lot of people who say they couldn't cope without a window but to pay another couple of thousand for one made the difference for us between going on a cruise and not!

We have found that we spend very little time in the cabin and when you're asleep you don't need a window. The air conditioning in the cabins seems to be quite responsive and works well. The cabins are not huge nor is the shower but we cope well and don't find it a problem. The cabins on the Saphire are bigger than those on the Pearl but we are happy with either. Bed linen good, nice towels, well cleaned, hairdryer soaps and shower gel etc included. There is a wardrobe, small desk, chair and TV as a basic minimum and twin or double beds. Hope that helps.

If money is an issue, think seriously about an inside cabin (I have claustrophobia but found no problem at all). Good luck.

Crafting Thu 29-Jun-17 12:56:46

Sorry Jane forgot to say we go in the cheaper inside cabins, if money is not an issue the outside cabins are bigger from what we have seen and the cabins on the Saphire bigger than the Pear 2. Saga have a new ship due to start cruising in 2019 with all balcony rooms only.

PS another reason for us going on Saga is it is a small ship which we like.

Jane10 Thu 29-Jun-17 16:39:42

devongirl this query is important to us because it is indeed a lot of money. I'm thinking of next summer so will have a year to save for it. Its a big commitment so I really need to know if it's worth it!
No question of us going on several cruises a year!

Jane10 Thu 29-Jun-17 16:40:33

Crafting thanks for the helpful info. Its looking good!

devongirl Thu 29-Jun-17 17:00:10

Thanks Jane! (despite having worked full time in a relatively well paid job, main problem is cost of housing here - most expensive place in Britain - and being single parent. Ah well, there's always the premium bonds!)

Didn't mean to decry your right to the thread at all, good luck to you all and enjoy yourselves!

NfkDumpling Thu 29-Jun-17 22:13:52

We've only done river cruises with Saga - and a couple of safari type trips. We found them very good. On the Nile cruise the boat was well run and the accommodation good. A point was made that the boat had its own water filtration system and the plates were washed in that water and not the Nile as happened on most other boats - and we always had the best parking spots.

The best bit about Saga is being collected from the house, met at the airports and looked after all the way. We have noticed though that there are more optional trips rather than inclusive ones.

kittylester Fri 30-Jun-17 06:59:23

We've never been on a Saga cruise but have friends who have been on a river cruise - they hated it. They thought it was poor quality. We, and they, find Riviera very good quality. And, none of their excursions are extra though drinks are.

Gymstagran Fri 30-Jun-17 10:04:55

I've never done cruising but used Saga many times. Unfortunately latest trip has put me off for good. Be wary of VIP travel service. My trip out and back was in "people carriers". Mini buses in other words - most uncomfortable, circuitous route for drop offs and break for driver meant a 5 and a half hour journey home to midlands from gatwick. Would have been quicker on public transport. Complained but they didn't want to know. If ever used again would pay extra to have private car. Not the only complaint I and other passengers had on that trip but a very disapointing experience.

silverlining48 Fri 30-Jun-17 10:25:47

We had a our first saga holiday this year celebrating husbands 70 th. Not a cruise but a tour in Cuba. We were picked up at home by car and driver was waiting when we returned, which was very nice.

It was efficient and well run with an excellent guide. Not a large group, probably about 24 people. Mostly couples but a few travelling alone. It really worked for us all and it was a thiroughly enjoyable break.
We would use saga again.

sunseeker Fri 30-Jun-17 10:35:41

I have had several holidays with Saga (although as yet not a cruise). On the whole the holidays are well run and the reps very good.

Since the company was sold I do think the customer service leaves a lot to be desired - delays in replying to emails and when a reply is received doesn't answer or deal with the query.

Mauriherb Sat 01-Jul-17 09:52:31

I've been with saga a few times and have already booked to go with them again. They are not the cheapest but they are very good for seniors and people travelling alone. I read "crafting's" reply and totally agree with everything she said .

annifrance Sat 01-Jul-17 10:03:07

A single friend frequently goes on Saga cruises. She speaks very, very highly of them. They are expensive and she pays to have an outside cabin (her name is down for the maiden cruise on the new ship!). You get what you pay for.

She says service excellent, a lot of care taken of those on their own. The only extras are alcoholic drinks at the bar and optional excursions. For these excursions you can pre book and pay, and there is a folder with all information on the ones you have booked for when you first get to your cabin. They are also really well thought out and interesting with a talk about them beforehand.

She has found the people are invariably very nice and sociable. There is an excellent library with wifi and computers so you can access emails and internet easily, all included.

Food is excellent and a choice of restaurants so a choice of apparel! She likes the dining room and so takes evening dresses and enjoys the black tie nights. These are totally optional.

have a great time.

westieyaya Sat 01-Jul-17 10:18:10

Saga cruises, my experience has been 4 river cruises, 3 were brilliant however the 4th on the lower Danube did not meet my expectations. I experienced a really bad bout of asthma, which I could barely control with my usual medication. The cruise director was extremely unhelpful, I knew that I really needed hospitalisation, but the nearest main hospital was Bucharest which would have involved an inflatable boat down river to a hospital which was described as being third world. I couldn't telephone my insurance company as there was no signal and even the ships satellite phone wasn't working. So I struggled on until I got home, when I found myself rapidly hospitalised. I complained to Saga, who brushed the whole thing under the carpet, suggesting I shouldn't have travelled with my condition.

Food, people, staff were, however, all brilliant

marionk Sat 01-Jul-17 12:11:13

We have only done their Douro river cruise and can't rate it highly enough. All the excursions were included as were all alcoholic drinks unless you wanted certain brands or vintage ports. The saga rep was probably the only downside as she really only seemed along for a jolly rather than working! The boat staff more than made up for her lack of interest though and looked after us exceptionally well.

katynana Sat 01-Jul-17 12:11:40

HiJane10,

We've not yet tried Saga for a cruise, nor for any other type of holiday,but have been on similar, adult only cruises with Cruise & Maritime and Fred Olsen. All have been great fun, comfortable and relatively entertaining. You only need to do as much or as little as you want to, there is no pressure to 'take part'. We have been perfectly satisfied with the food offered and are not put off by there not being 'free' drinks with meals. No great loss to us as we don't drink alcohol at all and it is possible to buy a drinks package if you do want access to 'drinks' at all times. Tea & coffee suit us and these are free.
Excursions do cost extra as with Saga but don't have to be arranged through the ship always. Some are good value others less so.
We tend to book an inside cabin (suite!) as my sealegs are rather untrustworthy but it doesn't put me off sailing to see 'far-away places with strange-sounding names' and beats the h* out of hanging around in airports with limited luggage allowance. We have only sailed out of Britain not done any fly/cruise trips.
Check round the cheaper companies as well as Saga (we may yet get to try them ourselves in later life) and see what a terrific range of holidays/prices are available these days.
Happy Cruising.

Aslemma Sat 01-Jul-17 12:34:22

I have never fancied a Saga holiday,of any ,kind, despite traveling solo for many years. Although I am quite ancient now I like to mix with people of all ages and have the feeling that though their adverts show younger and spritelier people the reality would be somewhat different.

I did one cruise with MSC (won with the Daily Express, does anybody remember that £10 fiasco?) Those who had won cruises posted on another site giving our dates.and name of ship, so we many of us 'knew' one another before we sailed. We all had our evening meal together but did our own thing during the day, sometimes joining up for thevexcursions and sometimes not.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 01-Jul-17 12:41:27

Jane10.You have ticked all the boxes in what you personally require on a cruise but ask is it worth it.?
I however question do you wish to be among like minded persons as yourself? Do you need wheel chair assistance and other commodities a Saga cruise offers.?
Then Saga fits the bill.
Other than that and yes people do bring children on a cruise and they are well catered for but there are no go areas where children are not allowed. I have yet, having been on three cruises,to meet rowdy young people.I have met rowdy elderly people as not all elderly want to be in bed with their hot drink by 10pm.
Being picked up by car straight to the ship can be had by most taxi services
The only difference is with Saga you pay for this within the cost of the holiday.
ALL cruises have medical facilities with qualified medical staff.
Go for the best and you will want for nothing.
I have observed an ill person being airlifted off one cruise.No waiting until the ship got to port.