Gransnet forums

Travel

Hot holiday destinations in October please....

(30 Posts)
Kim0612 Fri 04-Aug-17 12:30:45

Hi, we are looking to book a week away in the sun in October so that we can just chill and do very little, where would you advise please? We have never been away that late before. I know what the brochures say the temperatures are but I would rather hear it from personal experience.

Greenfinch Fri 04-Aug-17 12:49:58

The Canaries are generally lovely in October. Warm and sunny but not too hot.

Nanabilly Fri 04-Aug-17 12:58:46

I went to play da las America's one late October and the days were lovely but at 3 pm every day the winds came and it got quite cool so I needed a crack on .
Another October we went to tsilivi in zante\zakynthos and it was the very last week of the season and most places were closed down and a mixed bag of weather.
Cyprus in October was red hot.

Lillie Fri 04-Aug-17 13:01:42

Madeira is good, if you don't mind a slightly longer flight. Balmy days of almost late summer temperatures, lovely views.

jollyg Fri 04-Aug-17 13:26:42

What about Croatia........ any pros /cons

Thanks

Marydoll Fri 04-Aug-17 14:11:41

Malta and Cyprus are also lovely in October and a bit quieter.

Kateykrunch Fri 04-Aug-17 14:43:55

We have found all the Canary Islands to be lovely at that time of year.

Floradora9 Fri 04-Aug-17 17:02:46

we go as late as November or December to the canaries and it is still lovely . Avoid January and February there .

NonnaW Fri 04-Aug-17 17:47:24

We normally holiday in October and have always found good weather. We've been to various places in Italy, Furterventura (sp), Crete, Cyprus. We normally go around the first two weeks of October because that encompasses both our birthdays.

suzied Fri 04-Aug-17 17:49:13

We've been to Sicily and Cyprus in October and both were like full summer.

TriciaF Fri 04-Aug-17 18:30:22

What about Israel? We went once in October and it was lovely. Up to 30°. There's so much history there, as well as beach life.
But might be expensive.

TriciaF Fri 04-Aug-17 18:36:05

ps after the 13th Oct. it will be cheaper. (End of a religious festival week).

Humbertbear Fri 04-Aug-17 20:38:43

One thing not mentioned so far is that although the Canaries will be warm , it gets dark early. We went in November and although you could still sit on your balcony, it was dark at 5.30.

Kim0612 Sat 05-Aug-17 09:17:46

Humbertbear, I never though of things like that.

Lots is suggestions, thank you, 4 ish hours is our maximum flight time as it's for a week only this time.

glammanana Sat 05-Aug-17 10:09:03

DD and I are off to Palma Nova in Majorca thr first week in October we have been a few times this time of the year and the weather is always good no school holidays at that time so all will be nice and quiet and good deals to be had with regard to upgrades at the hotels.

glammanana Sat 05-Aug-17 10:10:20

^ see I needed an option to edit.^

grannyticktock Sat 05-Aug-17 20:51:29

Croatia, jollyg .... I've been in there twice in October, and had lots of sunshine, but not toooo hot. We had the odd rainy day too, and thunderstorms. One year they had had much worse weather a couple of weeks before, in late September, with flash floods, so the weather can be a bit variable. The sea is still lovely and warm then.

Jalima1108 Sat 05-Aug-17 20:53:45

Oh! A GN pop-up - is that something new? I have an ad blocker but GN is advising me of:
6 places to get some late summer sun

grannyticktock Sat 05-Aug-17 20:57:45

Oh and another point: at the Autumn Equinox, on 21 September, everywhere in the world has the same amount of daylight/dark (12/12 hours). After that, the southerly latitudes (in the northern hemisphere) have the edge, and there is more daylight the closer you get to the Equator, where it's always 12/12. So in October, the Canaries will have more daylight than, say, the Mediterranean resorts.

Kim0612 Mon 07-Aug-17 10:32:53

A good few suggestions here, thank you once again, will have a look to see what we can find that is suitable. It's a belated holiday for my Husband's 60th Birthday. Need to escape the rain.

kellyon Wed 16-Aug-17 12:23:57

As for me, I think october is a great time to visit Rome, Italy. Last fall I found cheap first class tickets at www.iflyfirstclass.com/city/to-rome-fco to Rome and my husband and I spent there two weeks. That was amazing trip.

Marydoll Wed 16-Aug-17 13:58:47

We have been going to Rome for half term at the beginning of October for the last twenty years.
Now that I'm retired, we are off in 3 weeks time, as the weather is much better in September. It can rain a lot in October.

devongirl Wed 16-Aug-17 14:25:39

Agree, great thing about city breaks is there's plenty to do if the weather's poor.

kazgran Wed 16-Aug-17 16:30:02

We are off to Mallorca for the first week in October. Husband now retired from teaching so it's the first year ever we can go out of season. Hoping for lovely sunny days when it's not too hot!

Ranworth1 Wed 16-Aug-17 16:35:55

Morocco