Gransnet forums

Travel

Norwich

(27 Posts)
tanith Tue 05-Sep-17 21:15:43

I've booked a few days away next week at the coast but want to spend some in Norwich does anyone have recommendations for places to see I know there is a cathedral and museum. Where's the most convenient parking, eatery for lunch not too posh.

After the week we've had we need a change of scene and peaceful rest.

Thanks

Pittcity Tue 05-Sep-17 21:53:53

Have you asked on the GN Local pages? local.gransnet.com/norwich

BlueBelle Wed 06-Sep-17 07:01:06

Norwich is a lovely city ( in my neck of the woods) there are lots of chain shops as well as the 'lanes' which house independent ones on cobbled streets, some beautiful architecture, it's not a huge city so easy to walk around Two big shopping malls and a busy market The forum which is a big modern building housing the library but has lots of exhibitions etc. There is a lovely riverside area There are so many old buildings some with little museums in them the home of Colman mustard many lovely eateries, a buffet restaurant called Cosmo in the centre... food from around the world not at all expensive or posh You can eat at the Prison, I think the local group meet there The castle is so interesting inside and the cathedral beautiful There's a nice theatre plus some smaller individual ones I m sure others will tell you lots I ve missed out
As you can see I m a fan of Norwich, entitled for years a 'clean city' have a wonderful break

NfkDumpling Wed 06-Sep-17 07:04:22

Where are you staying tanith? You're probably best to use the park and ride car parks as parking in the centre is very expensive and the one way system is confusing.

www.visitnorwich.co.uk/explore-and-experience/norwich-a-story/ gives links to whatever interests you best. As well as the castle and cathedral the Bridewell Museum and Strangers Hall are both worth a look and are close to The Lanes area (London St/St Andrews/St Benedicts/Pottergate on the map) which has lots of independents shops and small restaurants.

www.ghostwalksnorwich.co.uk/ This may seem gimicky, but I went on one many years ago and its a good way to explore find out about Norwich - and the Adam and Eve is an interesting pub. The Monday and Tuesday walks for preference.

Eglantine19 Wed 06-Sep-17 07:10:40

Scones (to rhyme with bones!) and coffee in Jarrolds department store mid-morning.
Strangers Hall I found very interesting.
Definitely use the Park and Ride.

seacliff Wed 06-Sep-17 07:11:51

plantationgarden.co.uk/ this is a quirky small and quite hidden garden to visit, walking distance from town centre. Nice for a peaceful stroll.
Jarrolds is a lovely independent department store, nice cheese scones too!

tanith Wed 06-Sep-17 07:19:48

Thanks lots of good suggestions I think we can use our freedom passes on Park and Ride so that's a good tip thanks. We're staying in Hopton on the coast just a caravan that we'll use as a base to explore.

PamelaJ1 Wed 06-Sep-17 08:12:41

Went for a pre theatre meal at the assembly rooms on Saturday £20 for three courses. Lovely venue, food and staff. They do very nice cream teas too.
There is a fish restaurant on the coast called rocky bottoms, take your own booze, that we like. Nadia went and cooked there the other week.
Don't know where you are staying on the coast but you can get a train to Norwich from Cromer and Sheringham.
The coastal hopper is a great way to travel up and down the NN coast.

PamelaJ1 Wed 06-Sep-17 08:13:33

Sorry , should have read your last message, still some of my info may be useful, enjoy.

seacliff Wed 06-Sep-17 08:46:04

Just along from Hopton is JayJays beach cafe Gorleston, good food, lovely area for a stroll along the front.
Also the commodore oulton broad, good pub food, great views across the broads/boat trip available.

seacliff Wed 06-Sep-17 09:00:27

One more, not Norwich but near you.. Waterside cafe Rollesby broad, yet more lovely views and food. Also a good garden centre very near.
www.thewatersiderollesby.co.uk/

downtoearth Wed 06-Sep-17 09:19:47

My part of the world also Tanith ..you wont be dissapointed...how about a trip to wroxham for the Norfolk broads....if that pardon the flooats your boat ..Have also stayed at Hopton a few years ago now...very enjoyable experience

tanith Wed 06-Sep-17 11:01:37

We have been a few times to Hopton and love it there. OH isn't well so I'm looking for lots of things for us share as we usually just chill out or sit/walk on the beach so if he's up to it I can drive us further afield.

Juggernaut Wed 06-Sep-17 12:05:01

tanith
It would be almost a 50 mile drive each way, but if you both feel up to it, Holt is just gorgeous!
Plus, you could drop off in Cromer to get some of the best crab you'll ever taste!

NfkDumpling Wed 06-Sep-17 22:00:23

I can echo Seacliffs suggestion of Rollesby Broad Waterside cafe, although I haven't been recently, there used to be an electric boat trip around the two broads.

Norfolk is sausage shaped and you're at one end. It may be better to leave Cromer and the north for another visit. Lots to do there and some nice caravan sites at East and West Runtons.

And then there's West Norfolk!

PamelaJ1 Thu 07-Sep-17 07:52:19

NFK don't tell anyone about West Runton beach. GS favourite. Rock pools, sea and sand fabulous.???

NfkDumpling Fri 08-Sep-17 13:03:10

And the occasional mammoth! It's one the nearest beaches to us. Best when the tide is going out.

tanith Fri 08-Sep-17 15:28:54

sad it's looking like we may go next week, a family complication we are so obligated to be elsewhere and it slipped my mind completely. Feeling bloody furious with myself but simply couldn't live with letting family down at such short notice. I think we'll lose our money too . Fuming with self ?

tanith Fri 08-Sep-17 15:29:39

May NOT!! That should say

Thirdinline Fri 08-Sep-17 15:41:24

When you do go, St Julian of Norwich's cell in St Julian's Chapel is fascinating and the people in the visitor's centre are friendly and helpful. There's a car park across the road - St John's, I think.

Alima Fri 08-Sep-17 15:53:37

I am really sorry to lower the tone of your thread tanith but does the thread title remind anyone else of the words written on the back of love letters? You know, Norwich stood for "(k)nickers off ready when I come home". Then there was "chip", stood for "come home I'm pregnant" which was answered by "fish", which is easy to work out. I'll slink off back to my cave now.......

tanith Fri 08-Sep-17 17:07:04

Haha how about SWALK "sealed with a loving kiss".

Thanks for the suggestion. Thirdinline

NfkDumpling Fri 08-Sep-17 17:13:51

What a shame tanith. Hopefully you may get some money back. (I shall ignore Alima lowering the tone!)

tanith Sun 10-Sep-17 12:44:23

HURRAH!!! I just plucked up the courage to explain our dilemma to my Grandson he was so lovely about it and we have agreed that we'll delay till Mon eve or Tuesday morning going to Norwich he and his lovely wife understand why we need this break away and are quite happy for us to go once our Great grandchild is safely delivered tomorrow.
As a short explanation this pregnancy is an at risk pregnancy and she has to be delivered by C-section as its too dangerous for her to give birth naturally, how the date completely slipped my mind I'll never know. Now we will wait till the baby girl is safely delivered and can then go and rest and relax for a few days and meet her at the weekend.
thanks for all the lovely ideas ladies.

NfkDumpling Sun 10-Sep-17 19:17:04

Wonderful!