Gransnet forums

Travel

Where in the world?

(81 Posts)
Imperfect27 Mon 09-Oct-17 19:58:52

If you could visit anywhere in the world (and you are allowed to fantasise about getting there in a blink of an eye), where would you go to and why?

I would like to go to Rome - but not in the heat of the summer. I would love to drink in the history, artwork and golden architecture, cast a coin in the Trevi fountain when all the tourist (except me!) have gone home, get neck ache looking at the Sistine chapel ceiling and dawdle across St Peter's square eating gelato ...

cupcake1 Fri 13-Oct-17 15:26:06

Another one here for South Africa! Lucky to have been a couple of times and returning again next March. Beautiful scenery, climate and friendly locals but the highlight for me is always the safaris- I love seeing the wild animals in their natural habitat but feel so sad that many endangered species, due to mankind's greed and ignorance, will not be around for future generations to appreciate.

grannybuy Wed 11-Oct-17 23:48:28

Havana! We paid the deposit for flights there in 2002. At the time I had begun a Post Grad cert, ( my line manager pushed me into it ). This course had to be completed in my own time, apart from a few days at University for each of the four modules. I was really stressed by the work, and the deadlines, and dreaded possibly having to tell my boss that I had failed. I knew that I needed my holiday time to complete the work to a decent standard, so we didn't go. I have regretted it ever since. Ironically, by the time I had completed, and gained, the qualification, my boss was absent from work due to stress, and never returned.

123kitty Wed 11-Oct-17 20:39:10

Scotland

ffinnochio Wed 11-Oct-17 17:52:15

... and there’s always big sky.

ffinnochio Wed 11-Oct-17 17:50:18

Coastlines. Any and all of them. Where the land meets the sea is where I find joy and freedom.

Barmyoldbat Wed 11-Oct-17 16:58:28

Been whale watching in NZ and the whale was so close to the boat I looked him in the eye before he did his dive. Perfect. Been to most places but the one I still yearn to do is the Trans Siberian but not to China but end up in Japan. It is possible and have done all the work on going. A website called the Man in Seat 21 is all about train journeys around the world with timetables, advice and costs. A lovely way to spend a wet winter day.

SunnySusie Wed 11-Oct-17 08:51:15

I would love to visit India. I decided I wanted to go in 1966 when The Beatles first visited! Hasnt happened yet. I could probably afford it, but I am such a worrier I imagine myself going down with some dreadful bug and getting stuck in an Indian hospital on my own. Even watching The Exotic Marigold Hotel a couple of times hasnt cured me of this idea.

Llamedos13 Wed 11-Oct-17 02:48:51

Barbados just to escape the Canadian winter.

grannyqueenie Tue 10-Oct-17 22:27:20

Haida Gwaii in British Columbia is somewhere I’d love to visit. I saw some beautiful photos recently and found them quite mesmerising so had to use google to find out where it was. It looks amazingly beautiful. I keep dropping hints !

Thebeeb Tue 10-Oct-17 22:18:54

Got no real wants to go anywhere but ...... these names of places just call to me

Martha’s Vineyard
Cape cod
Jasper
Banff

I just like the words- daft I know why.

GrammaH Tue 10-Oct-17 22:15:30

Puglia in southern Italy please! We love the region with its quaint towns, fabulous food & wine, lovely beaches & friendly people & the weather's not bad either! Perhaps we'd stop over in Rome for a day or two on the way, a favourite city of ours.

rozina Tue 10-Oct-17 22:04:01

I would go to Rio de Janeiro, I can't think of a more iconic and beautiful skyline. I've never been but longing to go. Also I would go back again in the wink of an eye to the Grenadines.

Chewbacca Tue 10-Oct-17 21:17:13

Alaska and New England for me please. Preferably in the autumn when the leaves are turning to those beautiful colours. I agree with others, Rome is a beautiful place to visit but then so much of Italy is lovely so I'd I can't go to Alaska, can I do a top to toe tour of Italy instead?

granny2one Tue 10-Oct-17 20:58:54

I live in New Zealand. We emigrated in 1976. Yes it is lovely but I would love another visit to the UK! Its such a long expensive journey though so dont think its going to happen.

mostlyharmless Tue 10-Oct-17 19:43:25

How wonderful Buddly!

Greyduster Tue 10-Oct-17 19:35:03

New Zealand for me too. If not there, then Antigua (I'm not fussy)!

Buddly Tue 10-Oct-17 19:30:41

Quite chuffed to see how many of you mentioned Lake Como, I live in Bellagio, in fact writing this now looking at the lights on the lake through the window. ( whilst waiting for eastenders to come on tv, couldn't live without my english tv ??).

Grandmama Tue 10-Oct-17 19:08:10

Petra - ever since I read the poem 'A rose-red city half as old as time' when I was a child. I fell in love with Paris when I visited it on a school trip aged 16 and have been back several times (not recently). But, as an Italianophile (is that the right word) having been learning Italian for years, I'd love to visit Italy again. But DH is not well enough to travel and I can't leave him here on his own. So I'll continue to dream.

adrisco Tue 10-Oct-17 18:24:45

Vancouver Island .. went ten years ago and would just love to go back .. to live .. no chance .. but lovely dream!

gulligranny Tue 10-Oct-17 18:05:04

I would love to visit Japan at cherry blossom time, ride the Bullet train and see Mount Fuji.

nonnasusie Tue 10-Oct-17 17:50:04

Italy is beautiful for a holiday but I wouldn't recommend it for living in ! Unfortunately it is going downhill fast due to no law and plenty of disorder! I would love to go back to Switzerland for an extended holiday ( we only stay one night on our way home from Britain). It's so clean and orderly and the people are so polite and friendly.

Skweek1 Tue 10-Oct-17 17:32:24

I'd like to visit South Africa - worked for a SA company and had a great boss - more of a friend who I'd love to see again. Also have an adopted Brazilian sister and would like to visit her in Rio - maybe go at Carnival! But can't see either happening.

Caro1954 Tue 10-Oct-17 16:38:54

Russia for me. (The real Russia though, not the one the cruise boats see. I'm loving the Simon Reeves documentary.) Including the trans-Siberian Railway.
Or Canada, again including a railway journey.
Just a mile outside Santiago de Compostela so DH could fulfill his dream of walking just a little bit of the pilgrim way - health prevents him doing any more.

Catterygirl Tue 10-Oct-17 16:28:57

India and the Maldives for me.

Aslemma Tue 10-Oct-17 16:25:35

Would love to visit India though I doubt I ever will. Japan is also high on my list and that is a distinct possibility as my eldest grandson will be moving out there soon for work and to marry a lovely Japanese lady.