Gransnet forums

Travel

We would like to move to Spain but...

(54 Posts)
Daisydoo2 Sun 04-Mar-18 17:07:18

We are now in a position to move to Spain, our dream location.... but ...
I have helped my family for babysitting (whilst they work) for the past 10 years however I cannot see my daughter taking our decision to move easily. The youngest child starts school in September and we feel that if we are going to embark on our adventure we should do it later this year before it's too late. I have it in my mind that they could all have lovely holidays with us and vice versa. We have always put the family first but really want to have a bit of life for us. I am so dreading the conversation. Has anybody else been in this situation and how did it go?

Mamie Sat 10-Mar-18 04:41:58

absent although “nothing is agreed until everything is agreed”, it seems likely that we will continue to get pension increases and have our medical expenses covered through the S1 form from the UK. The biggest problem for pensioners is the drop in value of the pound which has undergone a devaluation of almost 20% since Brexit. This is likely to get worse given the poor economic forecasts linked to the various Brexit models; all of which make the UK worse off to a greater or lesser extent.

oldgoat Sat 10-Mar-18 07:00:26

daisydoo If you do decide to buy a property in Spain it is essential to make a Spanish will or things will be very complicated if one of you dies and you want to sell up.
Making a will in Spain is very quick and cheap - just go to a Notary who deals with these things. Ours only cost us under 40 Euros a few years ago after one quick visit.
We bought our apartment from a man whose wife had died intestate and it cost him a considerable amount of money, having to get his wife's death certificate translated into Spanish etc etc.

DeeWBW Sat 17-Mar-18 17:19:21

House for sale - have a look at myhouseinspain.wordpress.com
We are now ready to move again.