Gransnet forums

Travel

Do you let your bank know if you are going abroad?

(42 Posts)
Luckygirl Sat 16-Jun-18 12:45:45

Haven't been for a few years. Do they need to know in order not to block your cards when transactions come in from abroad?

OldMeg Fri 22-Jun-18 07:35:20

Yes

PamelaJ1 Fri 22-Jun-18 08:31:37

Our credit card company doesn’t want to know.
They stopped my card whilst we were on a ship on the way to PNG. Luckily my husband had his but he doesn’t have a very high limit and we were put in a very embarrassing position. Not easy to contact anyone whilst on board ship.
I tried to tell them last time we went but they weren’t interested.

I now use the card at the airport when we are leaving so am, hopefully, leaving a trail.

lilypollen Sat 23-Jun-18 19:21:17

M&S credit card now don't want to know but I like the idea of using cards at the airport PamelaJ1

GrannyGravy13 Sat 23-Jun-18 19:44:58

Always make a point of using my main cc on the plane so that my journey can be tracked by cc company in case of cloning/fraudulent transactions.

Bellasnana Sat 23-Jun-18 21:23:30

Yes, my bank needs to know when I am leaving the island. My credit card also covers my insurance whilst abroad so I have to inform them of every country I will be visiting.

hotstar Sun 24-Jun-18 09:47:32

Yess. I think you should always do that.

Melanieeastanglia Thu 05-Jul-18 15:20:41

Yes, I do tell my bank. I normally only go away for a week so it isn't very often that I pay for anything with a card but I have met people who try to do so having their payment stopped by the banks if they're abroad. These people seem to have not advised their banks that they're going out of the UK. Perhaps it depends where you bank.

garna Tue 11-Sep-18 19:52:44

I also let know about my travelling abroad to bank, because it can block my card. I increase the amount of payment before the trip because of the difference in the exchange rate, the payment can be rejected.

Jalima1108 Tue 11-Sep-18 20:07:34

I didn't let them know last time (I forgot) and they blocked me and a foreign bank swallowed my card!

Diana54 Tue 11-Sep-18 20:16:12

My bank is very fussy about unusual transactions and you have to tell them in advance about anything unusual including going abroad.
Can't really complain, they are on the ball.

Jessity Tue 11-Sep-18 20:21:51

My credit card company wanted details of dates and country/countries to be visited until quite recently but now say they don’t want to know. Like Pamela upthread, I always use my card at the airport.

Melanieeastanglia Tue 11-Sep-18 21:35:09

My bank has told me they need to know. It's no trouble to me to tell them so that's what I do.

Lynne59 Tue 11-Sep-18 22:20:15

No, my bank (First Direct) say they don't need to know.

Purpledaffodil Tue 11-Sep-18 22:37:51

I think it varies. Have found Santander specifically want to know but Nationwide don’t. They do ask for the card to be used at the airport, even just to check a balance.

annodomini Tue 11-Sep-18 22:44:36

My bank said 'thanks', but didn't need to know. How would I let them know anyway, now that my branch and the other branch nearby have closed or shortly will close?

MiniMoon Wed 12-Sep-18 00:10:43

We took a special trip to the bank to have our debit cards registered with the banks in Norway. We were assured that they would be accepted in any store, restaurant, etc. The first time DH tried to pay with his it was declined! I didn't try mine as he had just enough cash for the purchase.