Gransnet forums

Travel

Do you let your bank know if you are going abroad?

(41 Posts)
Luckygirl Sat 16-Jun-18 12:45:45

Haven't been for a few years. Do they need to know in order not to block your cards when transactions come in from abroad?

Chewbacca Sat 16-Jun-18 12:50:38

Yes, I let my bank know if I'm going abroad and for the duration I'll be away. Never had a problem with stopped transactions.

kittylester Sat 16-Jun-18 12:57:20

First time we went to Japan we let the bank know. Our payment for the Bullet Train was stopped and it cost a fortune in phone calls to get them to allow it.

We've never told them since and have had no problems.

Having said that, I was unable to draw cash in the next village because it wasn't my usual pattern.

confused

sunseeker Sat 16-Jun-18 13:14:23

Yes I always let my bank know - never had any problems using my card abroad.

TerriBull Sat 16-Jun-18 13:21:29

We used to let Barclaycard know, when we went abroad after we had our card cloned when we were in America and the consequences of that were felt a month or so after our return. We were able to prove chapter and verse we were back in the UK when the period the fraudulent spending in our name was taking place. I don't remember informing our bank though. One of our sons had some trouble authenticating his card out in Thailand and getting money a few years ago, I think that was because he omitted to tell them where he was, but can't remember the finer details now.

SueDonim Sat 16-Jun-18 13:29:39

Our bank now says they don't need to be told if we go abroad. I've no idea why that is!

Maybe it varies from bank to bank.

tanith Sat 16-Jun-18 13:53:48

Yes always, I can just do it online.

BlueBelle Sat 16-Jun-18 14:12:36

No I ve never considered that and never had a problem Why would you need to ?

Wheniwasyourage Sat 16-Jun-18 14:22:47

Don't tell the bank (now 10 miles away, soon to be 30 when they close the nearest one), but we do tell the credit card company and the debit card provider if we are going outside Europe, because we very rarely do go anywhere other than Europe.

Farmor15 Sat 16-Jun-18 14:35:28

My bank tells me I don’t need to tell them, but if traveling outside Europe my first attempt to withdraw money from ATM doesn’t work but I get a text message almost immediately asking me to confirm the transaction request. I only have to reply Y or N. After that I have no further problems. This has happened on a number of occasions, but only in Asia.
It’s important that your bank has your mobile number for this confirmation request to work. On a recent trip abroad, I was able to withdraw money (after text confirmation) but husband wasn’t, even though it was same, joint account. When he contacted bank, it turned out they didn’t have his number on file.

BlueBelle Sat 16-Jun-18 14:43:03

I don’t use any ATM s overseas I was always been told that was an expensive way of getting money so I load a card with over whatever I want to spend and then take some currency with me

Telly Sat 16-Jun-18 15:12:11

Did last time and the fraudsters had a whale of a time while we were away, so not going to bother again. I don't think it is necessary now anyway.

petra Sat 16-Jun-18 19:25:43

They know where you are the minute you start using your card abroad. We have had more than one tele call from the bank asking where we were. To be fair, these weren't the most usual holiday spots.

cornergran Sat 16-Jun-18 19:33:26

We have accounts with two banks. One wants to know the day and time we plan to enter and leave every country, the other wants to know - nothing. Best to check with your bank luckygirl, although their web site may tell you.

Treebee Sat 16-Jun-18 19:41:06

Yes, we always let our banks know when we will be abroad, even though we load travel cards with most of the money we’re likely to need. We’re a belt and braces type of couple.

ElaineI Sat 16-Jun-18 20:16:56

I've never done that - do you think I should. Sometimes I have used my cards abroad so maybe I am at risk?

grannyticktock Sat 16-Jun-18 20:26:44

No, Elaine, you haven't put yourself at risk. Some banks or card providers ask to be told if you're abroad, so that when a transaction is attempted, they know it's probably you and not someone who's cloned or stolen your card. If they suspect fraud, they may block the transaction. If your transactions have gone through OK, your bank is satisfied that all is well, so don't worry.

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Jun-18 20:38:45

When I didn't do that Luckygirl I tried to put some more money on to my mobile phone but wasn't able to - the credit card company thought it was an unusual transaction because it was at 2 am UK time.
I thought it was a problem with the phone company and was about to fling the phone into the sea (or my glass of lager) but then found my card had been blocked.

alreadytaken Sat 16-Jun-18 20:44:24

used to but they have recently said they dont need to be told.

kathsue Sat 16-Jun-18 21:57:31

Last year I went to the USA and told the bank the dates I'd be away. A few days after I got back I had a message from the bank. Someone had tried to make a purchase in America using my credit card number. Because the bank knew that I was back in England they didn't make the payment.

M0nica Sat 16-Jun-18 23:02:04

We go abroad a lot, mainly to Europe and have never told the card company.

They used to like you to do this, but now with so many people travelling so much they aren't bothered

jeanie99 Thu 21-Jun-18 21:01:57

Check this out
www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money/

SpringyChicken Thu 21-Jun-18 23:21:13

We don't notify our credit card company any more, they no longer wish to know. If you look online at the website relating to your card provider, you may find the answer in the FAQs

jenpax Fri 22-Jun-18 06:22:44

The only time I notified my bank that I was going to be out of the U.K. (several countries) I had my card blocked at first attempt to use it? I had to call them on my mobile (roaming charges??) to be told that the person who I had notified hadn’t entered it correctly on to their security system! The bank offered no apology and didn’t offer to compensate me for the expensive call either! Since then I have only taken a pre paid credit card and currency with me!

Purpledaffodil Fri 22-Jun-18 06:54:49

We use a specific credit card for payments abroad as it has very good terms and it saves having lots of cash. Our provider does have a place on their website to notify trips.
As a side issue, on a recent trip to Belgium, very few places would accept credit cards. Apparently banks there charge businesses very high commission. We were so unpopular when we got to a supermarket checkout with a very long queue behind us and no means of paying blush