Gransnet forums

Travel

£10,000 - 12,000 Where would you go

(132 Posts)
Rosiebee Thu 21-Jun-18 14:21:11

Since we retired and not including "big health scare" years, DH and I have taken it in turns to choose a "Big Trip". We've been to some fabulous places inc Hawaii, Thailand, Canada, South Africa and the Cape Cod area of America. Next year is my choice and with the mortgage coming to an end, we have a budget of up to £12,000. Day to day eating and drinking would be paid separately. A lovely dilemma but I have been through brochures until my head spins and I end up considering pottering around France. Not a bad idea. I'm not asking anyone to choose for me but would love to hear from Gransnetters where you would like to go. hmm

Eglantine21 Thu 28-Jun-18 20:22:49

The southern part of the Pan American Highway from Panama all the way down to Ushuaia. Plus a boat out to the Antarctic peninsula.

NanaNancy Fri 29-Jun-18 06:54:42

Such a big world, and so many choices. Mongolia was fabulous and I would go again. It is not the city you want to see there but everywhere outside of the city. The Gobi, the sands, the nomadic camps...
If you would like a memorable place to visit which may be one of the truly last places where people, animals and religion live in harmony in wide open spaces. Go.
You will meet some of the finest people of the world, if you make the effort to appreciate a quickly eroding way of life.

Eglantine21 Fri 29-Jun-18 09:07:20

On my list Nananancy. Did you go with a travel company?

lollee Fri 29-Jun-18 10:12:56

I would go on a long cruise taking in loads of different countries. Best of all worlds with lovely food available but can eat ashore if you prefer.

maryhoffman37 Fri 29-Jun-18 10:26:56

New Zealand for me too. Or Costa Rica.

GabriellaG Fri 29-Jun-18 10:33:11

France Italy and Switzerland. I've stayed in a wonderful hotel on the shores of Lake Lucerne and I love the tiny plane which lands on a tiny strip of tarmac. I have an artist friend there who has a most interesting and beautiful home.

JennyB Fri 29-Jun-18 10:47:00

Am with Annsixty here, off to Australia with stopovers in Hong Kong and Singapore. We are focussing on Western Australia with 5 days in Margaret River, we like our wine and food. Booked with Trailfinders travelling independently with local tours in each new location. Have a fab time.

CardiffJaguar Fri 29-Jun-18 11:00:43

This may sound like some advert but It is my choice for that amount of money: a super cruise, with either P&O or Princess.

First point, every day is different. Second is my experience with both companies. Third, the range and coverage of their cruises. Fourth, the food, Fifth, balcony cabins. Sixth, so much to do or simply chill out. Seventh, professionalism. Eightth, knowledge. Ninth, that super after cruise feeling when you just want to sit down and book another one. Tenth, the total experience.

Now I could take up acres of space expanding on all the above but that is inappropriate; and I expect there are many others here who could do the same. But here is the killer - pound for pound you will not get better value on any other holiday. Even the expectation after booking is worth the money.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 29-Jun-18 11:04:32

How wonderful for you having the world within your reach. Africa is my favourite continent having spent memorable holidays in the east, west and north of that continent but never the south and always wanted the experience of the Blue Train to do this. So if you have not experienced this then why not the Blue Train or the complete opposite is the Trans Siberian Express Whatever you chose enjoy.

pamdixon Fri 29-Jun-18 11:09:21

Most exciting trip I did was to Antarctica and all the food was included in the trip - so don't know if your budget would stretch to that? It is a trip of a life-time. Good luck deciding

wot Fri 29-Jun-18 11:11:32

I would buy a camper van and explore Italy.

NonnaW Fri 29-Jun-18 11:12:03

So many places, so little time (and money). However, high on the list would be Australia, also parts of the US, ie Nashville, Memphis and New Orleans plus LA, San Francisco, and a quick visit to Las Vegas. Also cruising...... this list goes on. With such a budget I’d be spoilt for choice. Oh well, I can dream smile

Jane43 Fri 29-Jun-18 11:21:53

Another vote for Australia and New Zealand.

eGJ Fri 29-Jun-18 11:24:18

Start in Halifax Nova Scotia to experience eastern Canada at its best(side trip to see where Anne of Green Gables lived!?) then dip into Montreal and Toronto. Fly west then Rocky Mountaineer Gold Standard, followed by the inside passage to Alaska; back Vancouver Island and Home, if you’ve done that already I have plenty more ideas! smile

Jaycee5 Fri 29-Jun-18 11:24:43

I've wanted to go to Zambia for a long time. Victoria Falls, lowland gorillas, interesting history, people are said to be nice. It's become my farsickness place.

mabon1 Fri 29-Jun-18 11:28:39

The Gransnet group is a motley crew and I'm certain many are thinking "I live on that sum annually" How insensitive of you to flaunt your wealth so publicly.

bobbinwinder Fri 29-Jun-18 11:34:41

come to NZ. although it's a bit chilly (code for freezing lol) at the moment.

Millbrook Fri 29-Jun-18 11:36:08

If I had had amazing holidays /trips (as you describe) over the years, had no mortgage, presumably no money worries and could afford to spare £12k on a holiday, I think I’d spend £2k on a few mini breaks exploring the UK, and give £10k to family or friends or a charity so that people who are less fortunate could have a holiday.
I think we’ve just all become a little too self indulgent, and a bit of spreading the baby boomer wealth wouldn’t go amiss.... (*puts on tin hat*) smile

Jaycee5 Fri 29-Jun-18 11:37:40

Puerto Rica has asked that tourists keep going, so you could go there and help the businesses that are being hit by the weather problems and tourists staying away. The same applies to Haiti - they really need people to still visit.

Acciaccatura Fri 29-Jun-18 11:38:26

Having just come back from Sri Lanka, I can totally recommend a bespoke holiday there. You have your own driver for the whole time. So relaxing, interesting and different. And the bonus is....you would be able to afford another biggy too.

grandMattie Fri 29-Jun-18 11:39:28

For me? the Silk Road from China to Turkey; the Galapagos; Argentina again...
How exciting! I'm so envious.
Do let us know what you choose, please!

GabriellaG Fri 29-Jun-18 11:39:57

mabon1
I had that fleeting thought too. blush

Irenelily Fri 29-Jun-18 11:40:41

If you’ve never been to Australia - go there! We spent 7 weeks there in 2006 - Melbourne, Coffs Landing, Brisbane Port Douglas, Ayers Rock, Alice Springs and Perth - visited a long lost cousin and friends, stayed in a variety of accommodation -7 weeks - all on £10,000. With hindsight I would have gone to New Zealand as well! Wonderful memories and we were in our 70s. My best all time holiday!

GabriellaG Fri 29-Jun-18 11:44:13

wot
With you on that.
I absolutely love Italy and really enjoyed the tv series with Rob Brydon and the other series with Gino Locatelli and the late Carluccio.

sweetcakes Fri 29-Jun-18 11:44:26

GabriellaG
I know what you mean ?