Gransnet forums

Travel

£10,000 - 12,000 Where would you go

(132 Posts)
Rosiebee Thu 21-Jun-18 14:21:11

Since we retired and not including "big health scare" years, DH and I have taken it in turns to choose a "Big Trip". We've been to some fabulous places inc Hawaii, Thailand, Canada, South Africa and the Cape Cod area of America. Next year is my choice and with the mortgage coming to an end, we have a budget of up to £12,000. Day to day eating and drinking would be paid separately. A lovely dilemma but I have been through brochures until my head spins and I end up considering pottering around France. Not a bad idea. I'm not asking anyone to choose for me but would love to hear from Gransnetters where you would like to go. hmm

grannyactivist Thu 05-Jul-18 09:51:03

I suspect that most of us reading this thread have indulged in daydreams about 'what if....' when it comes to finances, but the reality is that it's probably not the money per se that most people are after, it's the choices we would then have. Choices that would allow us to help our families and relieve ourselves of the stresses that often accompany a lack of money.

gillybob Thu 05-Jul-18 14:25:08

Oh you’re so right *grannyA^ I spend my life thinking “ what if ...?”

I Don’t begrudge those more fortunate, the chance to do what I would love to do if finances allowed.

I would just love to have enough money to stop the hell my poor DD and her partner are going through ( thanks to the Halifax) and would happily forfeit any holiday, ever.

annep Fri 06-Jul-18 09:27:23

I just want the courage to fly to US.sad

Eglantine21 Fri 06-Jul-18 09:33:31

Oh annep. Can you explain a bit more? Is it flying? The US itself? What’s holding you back?

Marmight Fri 06-Jul-18 09:57:20

I quite fancy the Trans Sibetian Express from Moscow to Beijing(having visited St Petersburg first). I'd love to see Lake Baikal. Once in China I'd do an organised tour and then fly to Sydney to see DD2 for a few weeks and return home via the Pacific islands, LA and NY. Not sure £10/12000 would quite cover it!

annep Fri 06-Jul-18 10:45:29

I'm just a coward really Eglantine21 I hate flying in case we crash. There's no getting round it. I've gone as far as Italy/Croatia. That's as much as I can manage. Same with cruise ships in case they sink. I know it sounds ridiculous. But there it is. My mother was a very panicky nervous person and I think she passed it on to some of her children. Such a shame. But I've been to some lovely places anyway. So shouldn't complain.