Gransnet forums

Travel

Accessible travel - expert Q&A

(29 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 18-Feb-19 15:46:30

When it comes to planning a holiday - whether with friends, partner, a family group - one of the considerations for many is accessibility. Can I get a room on the ground floor? How can I avoid loads of steps? I want to book a tour but I'm worried about having to haul all my luggage the whole time. How can I plan an itinerary that doesn't involve lots of complex changeovers? - and so much more.
And then there's getting through airports, travelling with 'hidden' issues such as hearing loss, dementia or other health problems, all of which can make booking complicated or confusing.

Debbie and Jennie, our friends at Silver Travel Advisor, are here to answer all your questions about accessible travel, so leave yours on this thread before midday on Monday 4 March. We'll be posting the answers on here that same week.

Silver Travel Advisor is a friendly website run by a team of mature travel industry professionals with many (many!) years of experience. Their backgrounds are diverse, but they are all united by our passion for travel, and their aim is to gather and offer impartial advice, information and recommendations which can be trusted.

SilverTravelAdvisor Tue 19-Mar-19 09:22:17

oneworld

Am I too late? I hope not. I have enjoyed a number of river cruises in the past, but a couple of them have involved a lot of lugging of luggage which I can no longer do. Are there similar trips where someone can help with the bags at every stage? Thank you

Thanks for your question. Grand UK Holidays offer complimentary luggage handling for all their river cruise customers, so no lugging of baggage.

Avalon Waterways have a private home pick-up service included so passengers don’t even need to worry about getting to the airport or home again after their cruise.

Gaynes123 Fri 22-Mar-19 14:32:46

Yu

joysutty Fri 22-Mar-19 18:12:08

If we go on coach holidays with people like Shearings then i always make sure there is a toilet on the coach is the first thing as my husband has a weak bladder. In hotels we have been to before whether on a self-drive or with a coach company and know that there is a lift for the suitcase, then there is no issue, but if no lift then would request first floor bedroom. Abroad in hotel, holiday locations we have been to before then the same thing applies, but can walk up 2 flights of stairs comfortably. But i have oesteo-arthirutus in my left ankle so i walk slowly these days anyway. I would request a shower on its own in a cubicle or a shower above the bath in the bedroom as frightened of not being able to get out of the bath as in our bathroom 2 years ago had a handrail fitted onto the wall where the window is by Age UK which helps me getting out, but still require my husband to assist as well.