Gransnet forums

Travel

Do you have a bucket list

(56 Posts)
jeanie99 Wed 27-Feb-19 08:35:06

Alaska is still on ours, not sure how to travel there yet, something I'm thinking of for our 50th wedding anniversary.

What is on yours if you have one.

Telly Wed 27-Feb-19 08:40:24

Alaska is easy, just go on a cruise!
No, don't have a bucket list.

ScotinOz Wed 27-Feb-19 08:49:12

Yes, we have many places still to visit.

This year, we are travelling to China, Fiji, Greece, Croatia, North Italy, then next January, a South American cruise and Antartica cruise.

Would still like to travel to Canada and Alaska; South Africa and Egypt.

Love travelling, and will be back to the UK at some point ???

ScotinOz Wed 27-Feb-19 08:57:08

Oh, also The Trans-Siberian train, Russia, Norway to see the northern lights....

PamelaJ1 Wed 27-Feb-19 09:01:02

No I don’t.
I sat (yes-sat, we were very lucky) in the Sistine chapel earlier this year and my thoughts were. More bloody paintings!
We had been on a very action packed few days with my DD from Aus who had brought her niece (aged17, first time out of Aus.) to see as much of Europe via China as possible.
I feel I have seen enough and can’t think I’ll be lying on my death bed regretting not doing or seeing anything.

PECS Wed 27-Feb-19 09:11:06

Reading this thread..& the one about how much people spend.. I realise that travel is low on my agenda!
Partly we could not afford several long & expensive holidays now but also because there is too much to choose and places I really want to see are not possible.

Though I would love to do a complete tour of UK ... I am planning in my head to revisit much loved places whilst including places I have always wanted to see. Other than Liverpool & Barrow the NW is uncharterd territory for me as are huge swathes of the midlands.I need a campervan!

KatyK Wed 27-Feb-19 09:55:26

We've been lucky enough to go to places I never dreamed I'd go - New York, Alamfi coast, Seville, San Tropez, Lakes Como and Garda and many more. My dream was to go to Venice
I've now been four times. There's nowhere I really want to see now, except maybe Rome. We are planning to holiday in the UK this year.

NotSpaghetti Wed 27-Feb-19 10:00:25

ScotinOz I don’t have a list of places to visit, but like you would like to see the Northern Lights in all their glory.

granjan66 Wed 27-Feb-19 10:02:14

Mine are New Zealand, Alaska, Iceland, Budapest and Venice.

LJP1 Wed 27-Feb-19 10:12:13

Scuba diving in the Canaries. My DH is probably too ill to be able to make it now though.

AllTheLs Wed 27-Feb-19 10:17:44

Costa Rica for all the wildlife

Hm999 Wed 27-Feb-19 10:22:43

A good friend recommended cruising up to Alaska. I recommend NZ, the whole world's geography on 2 islands (except desert)

KatyK Wed 27-Feb-19 10:26:28

Oh and I'd love to see the Scottish Highlands.

marpau Wed 27-Feb-19 10:27:34

We are ticking things off the list. Hevery year we go to Egypt and somewhere we have never been. This year is Canada for my big birthday next year is Oberammergau to see the passion play as it only happens every 10 years we thought it wise to book now. We usually do a mini break in UK at some point during the year last year was Lewis and Harris which was stunning. Rome is definitely on the list to see.

Dianic Wed 27-Feb-19 10:28:02

I often dream of travelling to "far-flung" places which are obviously all much nearer these days, but then the practicalities of travelling set in and I just know we won't go anywhere... DD announced last week that she, her OH and DGS are emigrating to New Zealand in the 1-2 years' time and I so wish we could've gone with them. What an adventure!

Daisyboots Wed 27-Feb-19 10:31:53

There are only 2 or 3 places we would like to see which are trans Canada by train? Tour New Zealand and trans America by train and then up the NW Pacific Coast by train. But as it looks as though as though I have cancer the bucket list is forgotten and my one wish is to keep living reasonably healthy for some years yet.

nipsmum Wed 27-Feb-19 10:31:58

I don't have a bucket list.

EmilyHarburn Wed 27-Feb-19 10:42:18

ScotinOz enjoy the trans siberian railway. My great aunt was the first european woman to travel on it with her mother. She wrote about it see below for free download options. Though it can be bought in reprint.
file:///C:/Users/Jess/Documents/Family%20Ancestors/Budgett%20Meakin/Books/A%20Ribbon%20of%20Iron%20_%20Annette%20M.%20B.%20Meakin%20_%20Free%20Download%20&%20Streaming%20_%20Internet%20Archive.html

Magicmaggie Wed 27-Feb-19 10:42:23

Mapau
I went to see the last Oberammergau Passionplay in 2010
and it was truly a wonderful experience.
The village is very pretty with many frescoes on the
walls of the local houses and shops.
We stayed in a hotel in Seefeld with beautiful views of the
mountains and meadows full of wildflowers.
It was my last trip abroad and a wonderful memory.
I’m sure you will enjoy it.?

kazziecookie Wed 27-Feb-19 10:47:19

I don’t have a bucket list as such but I do love to travel though money is restrictive.
I have always wanted to visit Australia and New Zealand as plans to emigrate to both (different times) in my youth were scuppered by life events.
I am very excited to say I am going to both of them in December which includes spending several weeks with my daughter who emigrated to Australia 17 months ago.
I have 9 months to wait but I think it’s brill.

vickymeldrew Wed 27-Feb-19 10:48:03

Daisyboots. I wish you well. I really hope your cancer will go into remission and allow you a trip to Canada. Lovely country. I know many people with cancer who have been well enough to travel after treatment xx

Kim19 Wed 27-Feb-19 10:49:19

Don't have a bucket list as such. Been lucky enough to travel a fair bit. This desire seems to have diminished recently. Think I can't be bothered with long haul. Just trying my best to make sure I don't end up in it just yet. That would be one big bucket!

jenni123 Wed 27-Feb-19 10:53:56

My dream was to visit Egypt, I did this is 1998, loved it, went back couple of times then moved there and lived there for 13 years, only returning to UK 6 years ago when I was 70. now health and finance have blocked any further travel.

Daisyboots Wed 27-Feb-19 11:07:19

Thank you Vicky Meldrew for your kind words and I do hope so. I am having a whole body gamma scan on Friday to see if they can find a new primary or if it could be from my BC 23 years ago. As yet they have only found the multiple myeloma on my spine. Everything else has come back normal so far.

4allweknow Wed 27-Feb-19 11:09:19

No bucket list, take life as it comes. Have had to and still do cope with DHs health issues. Not to get through a bucket list would be depressing.