Gransnet forums

Travel

Cabin Baggage

(32 Posts)
TerriBull Wed 27-Feb-19 16:42:00

Please advise me, I've never travelled with only cabin baggage before. We have a trip coming up to Seville with EasyJet, considering not putting anything in the hold and thus paying extra, just realised what they charge per hold bag shock What I want to know is........ is there a limit on how many small bottles can be taken in hand luggage, I know nothing over a 100 ml is allowed. I'm thinking of decanting the following into small plastic bottles. Cleanser, toner, will bring 1 small moisturiser, shampoo, conditioner. Minimal amount of makeup lipstick, eyebrow pencil, mascara all in small see through bag. We will need to take a deodorant usually in an aerosol. Just not sure about any of this, have never travelled light before. Also if I buy a 100ml bottle of perfume at Duty Free going, will that be allowed in the hold coming back?

Seasoned light travellers pleeeese help me .......

silverlining48 Wed 27-Feb-19 17:15:38

Often travel with carry on. It’s easy to decant what you need into a lastic bottle or do without if for up to a week. Benefit is not having to wait for holdluggage
Wear anything heavy or coat boots etc and enjoy seville.

Cherrytree59 Wed 27-Feb-19 17:29:45

A few years ago we travelled with only hand luggage I used 100ml allowance I think for makeup foundation and moisturiser, I also took cleansing wipes.
After going through to departure I bought everything else in Boots.
(used up some Boots points) including suntan lotion and after sun, deoderant, shampoo and conditioner.
Perfume at duty free
If you are going to hotel they usually provide shower gel.
There are plenty shops and chemists in Spain where you would be able to buy shampoo conditioner and deodorant or take a stick deodorant, Mitchum is good.
Suntan lotion is expensive abroad so I would buy at airport in departures.

Have a lovely Holidaysunshine

tanith Wed 27-Feb-19 17:38:00

You need sealable bags 20cm X 20cm all bottles no more than 100ml. You can put as many bottles in as long as the bag is closed. How about a small roll on deodorent?
The perfume would be fine as long as it fits in the bag with your other toiletries.
One tip though and I’ve done it myself is when going through security put your carry-on in one tray and handbag in another tray and that way you can put a full bag of toiletries in each tray. It worked for me.

Jalima1108 Wed 27-Feb-19 17:42:32

Do make sure to take a padlock for it Terribull. It wasn't EasyJet but the dreaded Ryanair who told us that there was no more room for hand luggage in the overhead lockers and that both our hand luggage would have to go in the hold. We had paid for one suitcase to go in the hold besides that. Thinking it would be near us and accessible, we didn't have padlocks. I was very worried as medication and jewellery went into the hold, unpadlocked.
It was fine btw.

I don't think you will be able to bring the 100ml perfume back with you.

Aerosol has to go in the cabin anyway, not in the hold. The small toiletries (3 for 1 in Boots) should be sufficient, or buy when you get there unless you're staying in a hotel.

You can take any amount as long as they're not over 100ml but in fact I probably wouldn't decant them - I tried that once and they took it off me as they said they weren't sure how much was in there!

TerriBull Wed 27-Feb-19 17:55:24

Thanks all for the information provided, particularly as to using Boots departure side Cherrytree, didn't think of that, will have to allow extra time if I do go down that route and Duty Free as well. I know all these things can be picked up pretty much anywhere, it's just I don't want to waste the time looking for them once I've arrived.

Also good idea about the padlock Jalima will certainly bear that in mind. I always carry my medication in my handbag. What a pain having your toiletries removed, I'm always anxious I'm declaring everything.

Farmor15 Wed 27-Feb-19 17:56:25

As Jalima says - don't decant. Unless bottle has printed label with amount, they may not allow. It's not enough for it to be see through bag, must have zip seal. I've seen people having to remove everything from "wrong" type of bag. Don't bother bringing shampoo or conditioner - hotels provide.

TerriBull Wed 27-Feb-19 17:58:53

Yes thank you Tanith a roll on deodorant will do. A long time since I've used one of those but they are much smaller.

Jalima1108 Wed 27-Feb-19 18:00:49

Ryanair wouldn't allow a handbag and hand luggage, so the handbag was stuffed inside the hand luggage; I retrieved it before the hand luggage went off into the hold.

We won't be going with them again unless absolutely necessary.

TerriBull Wed 27-Feb-19 18:02:46

Given the advice I'm not going to decant now, I have loads of small bottles of shampoo and conditioner from previous trips which I bring back for my guest room. Dammit I'm actually going to have to use them now sad I like to bring them back it reminds me where I've been, strange I know!

TerriBull Wed 27-Feb-19 18:05:03

Ryanair are a bunch of sh***ebags I'm surprised they have started charging for the loo, it was threatened angry

Lisagran Wed 27-Feb-19 18:07:17

Not going to Seville next Tuesday are you grin?

TerriBull Wed 27-Feb-19 18:15:08

No not next Tuesday, I've a couple of weeks to prepare, only realised the cost of hold bags when I booked our seats today. The initial fare seems cheap until the extras are factored in shock

BlueBelle Wed 27-Feb-19 18:28:55

I always travel with cabin bags only except on long haul You can get quite a bi5 in the plastic bag I have never got away with two bags though Tanith you were really lucky I ve seen them get destroyed if you have more than one bag when you get to the trays even if you are crafty and put them in separate trays They are VERY observant about these things

Boots in an airport is very expensive why not buy any things
not accounted for when you get there it would be cheaper in a little local supermarket
If you don’t want to use your little things Superdrug do them cheap enough

Farmor15 Wed 27-Feb-19 18:36:04

When I’m traveling, I assemble things I might bring on spare bed, then try to discard about half! If you’re really missing something you need, you can buy at destination and have a souvenir of trip. Shoes are heavy, so minimize, making sure you only bring comfortable ones.

Squiffy Wed 27-Feb-19 18:36:20

Terri Have you thought about buying a shampoo bar rather than liquid? I think that should be able to go loose in your cabin bag.

TerriBull Wed 27-Feb-19 18:45:38

ooh haven't heard of those squiffy will have to investigate.

Yes I imagine Boots in the airport is more expensive, captive audience.

Will definitely assemble it all beforehand, my husband doesn't believe I will get my stuff in 1 cabin bag, apparently I always have to bring the kitchen sink hmm It's alright for men they don't need makeup and a lot of other paraphernalia, well mine doesn't, as far as I know grin

MissAdventure Wed 27-Feb-19 19:05:51

The exact size of ziplock bags are for sale at the airport, in vending machines.
Its possibly more expensive to buy them there, but who honestly needs a roll of bags?

Jalima1108 Wed 27-Feb-19 19:10:57

apparently I always have to bring the kitchen sink

Me too.
There was a thread on GN a while ago by, I think, a blogger who had been round the world with just hand luggage or something!!

BlueBelle Wed 27-Feb-19 19:15:41

They give the bags away for free MissA at airports well they do at Stansted and some o5her European airports I ve used most frequently and more recently

Jalima1108 Wed 27-Feb-19 19:17:35

Not at all airports BlueBelle - a bag cost £1 - as the item in question only cost 99p I let them confiscate it.

Lisagran Wed 27-Feb-19 19:42:01

Terribull - we’re going to Seville next Tuesday with easyJet grin.

DoraMarr Wed 27-Feb-19 20:01:48

I travel with a cabin bag on trains in Europe, but take the minimum of toiletries to save space. Hotels provide shampoo and conditioner,soap and body lotion. I take 6 things: a combined blusher/lipstick (Pixi) a small amount of cc cream ( no need for toner/ moisturiser) a kohl pencil for eyeliner/eyebrows, a small blow-dry spray for hair, a travel size roll- on deodorant, and a small bottle of dry oil ( Nuxe) for face/hair. I will add a small bottle of sunscreen if I think I will need it.

Squiffy Wed 27-Feb-19 20:03:23

Terri Lush do shampoo bars and you can buy online if you don’t have a shop near you. Hope you enjoy Seville, we loved it!

Daddima Wed 27-Feb-19 20:27:54

You cannot take as many 100mls as you want. You can only take as many as will fill the wee plastic bags you can get at the airport. I can usually get 5 or 6 in each bag.
Also, I’m confused as to why you’d travel with hand baggage only, but want to put 100 ml of perfume in hold luggage on the way back. Assuming you’ve used a lot of your toiletries, there should be room in your see through plastic bag. You take the plastic bag out of your cabin bag to go through security.